Home U.S. Coin Forum

Taking solace in my loss for the Brasher Doubloon

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 21, 2021 5:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

If, like me, your high bid was comfortably below the high bid (or the juice, or the shipping cost, or the cost of the cardboard box in which it's shipped), may I offer this other American Beauty created by Ephraim Brasher: The Brasher Cann.

Though it has been in my possession for a few years now, I had yet to "christen" the cann--until the night of the election this past November.

The toast I used on that occasion:

**I know full well I am merely the custodian of this treasure while it is in my care, and that one day it will pass from my hands. My charge is to protect this fragile and beautiful work of art that has survived 240+ years of hardship and struggle, against the odds, and to pass it to its next custodian having done no harm. In the years that it has been in my care, I’ve scarcely held it and never drank from it.

Tonight I drink a toast to America from this cann. To the greatest country that has ever been, to its history, and its future. May she and this beautiful artifact last in perpetuity.**

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file