Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You might not want to do business with this ebay buyer

derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 16, 2021 8:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sold him some coins on Sat. 1/9. He requested signature confirmation. I explained his item would require a signature but usps is currently not getting signatures due to covid. I mailed priority first thing on Mon. 1/11. On Fri. 1/15 the nasty messages from him start arriving. Claims its all my fault, I'm a horrible seller and he's gonna leave bad feedback. Tracking shows items last appearance in his hometown. I explained that once delivered to the post office I have no control over delivery schedule and knowing that there is nothing I can do after only four days I advised him to contact the local post office in Hereford where the last tracking entry placed it. I opened an inquiry with usps on Fri. 1/15 hoping to give the shipment a nudge and calm his rattled nerves.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 12:45PM

Could you reach out to the buyer, I'd like to hear his side of things.

• Options

Reported? Normally just a block will do.

• Options

@derryb said:

These one-sided public "testimonials" really should not be allowed. It would be better if such things were handled via DM.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

The OP already gave it to us.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another reason I am taking a break from selling on ebay. Once usps gets it together, I may start again.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the buyer would tell you he's impatient and has been under a rock for 3 months.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2021 1:07PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

These one-sided public "testimonials" really should not be allowed. It would be better if such things were handled via DM.

There are many here, including myself, who do welcome from a fellow forum member the sharing of a bad experience with an ebay buyer. The decision of believing your fellow forum members is entirely up to you. My advice is don't block him; hopefully you will cross paths with him.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always call Ebay when there is a threat of a negative or positive review in return for something they may or might not do...Ebay doesn't like that! Request a call back and invite ebay to a have a look at the messages, they will look, trust me.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 2:29PM

@jwitten said:
    Just another reason I am taking a break from selling on ebay. Once usps gets it together, I may start again.

I've sold a couple of eBay items in the last ten days. Both were shipped USPS Priority (one to WA, one to FL) from CA, and both arrived ahead of the 3-day estimate! FWIW.

EDIT: My only point is that things have gotten better for me from last month when everything was horrendously delayed. I'm sure there are still major issues in areas of the network.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hereford, Arizona has quite the reputation. Two of the boys killed at the OK Corral shootout were from Hereford. That's where the McLaury's teamed up with Ike Clanton..... Wyatt Earp days of yore.

bob :)
    PS: Very small town of about 6,000 people.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2021 2:58PM

@derryb said:
    So, the item has been in transit for five days, has not yet been delivered, tracking says "in transit" and buyer posts feedback that says "Stole $1,440 dollars. Ebay case opened. Beware of this one buyers."

Of course ebay said, feedback will be removed, please use the report buyer form, we do not want buyers like this.

jmlanzaf, please PM me a link to your ebay listings so I can forward it to my unhappy buyer.

As I said, I think these things should be handled by DM. Anyone who wants to Can ask for the user ID.

If your buyer are a member here, he would have posted your ID and advised us to not buy from you because you failed to deliver.

@HeatherBoyd what is the forum position on this?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb ... Thanks for the heads up... I do not sell often on ebay, but good to know about the dicey characters. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:
    So, the item has been in transit for five days, has not yet been delivered, tracking says "in transit" and buyer posts feedback that says "Stole $1,440 dollars. Ebay case opened. Beware of this one buyers."

Of course ebay said, feedback will be removed, please use the report buyer form, we do not want buyers like this.

jmlanzaf, please PM me a link to your ebay listings so I can forward it to my unhappy buyer.

As I said, I think these things should be handled by DM. Anyone who wants to Can ask for the user ID.

If your buyer are a member here, he would have posted your ID and advised us to not buy from you because you failed to deliver.

I'm not really sure why you're taking issue with this particular thread. It's cut-and-dried that this buyer is being unreasonable and a PITA. Handling the matter via DM is far less efficient than simply posting the user ID. Why would the OP care if a clearly unreasonable buyer advised the forum not to buy from him?

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

blocked

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

I'm not really sure why you're taking issue with this particular thread. It's cut-and-dried that this buyer is being unreasonable and a PITA. Handling the matter via DM is far less efficient than simply posting the user ID. Why would the OP care if a clearly unreasonable buyer advised the forum not to buy from him?

The OP and the forum would not know that it was an "unreasonable buyer " making the post. We generally only get one side.

You might recall the thread on seated dollars where the other individual actually jumped in and contradicted the original story.

I consistently complain about all of these threads. We have more information here because the emails were later posted. But usually we just have a simple declaration from one side of the story.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

The OP and the forum would not know that it was an "unreasonable buyer " making the post. We generally only get one side.

You might recall the thread on seated dollars where the other individual actually jumped in and contradicted the original story.

I consistently complain about all of these threads. We have more information here because the emails were later posted. But usually we just have a simple declaration from one side of the story.

If someone posted derogatory info about the OP's eBay conduct here, I guarantee you we'd be hearing his side of the story.

If you deem the information presented here by the OP unreliable or insufficient to block the buyer, no one has an issue with that. I just don't agree with your attempt to make the information less accessible.

• Options

Simple - If you don't agree, don't block. I guess one could make complaining an option, but it does nothing to protect you from a nightmare buyer.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

left negative feedback for an item still in transit from FL to AZ? wow.

fwiw I don't think that line item from AZ means it's in AZ either. it's looks more like just a delivery instruction note.

4 days and no scan. I just had one sit at the local sort center for 3 days.... but it was scanned "departed." that sort center likes to do that.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Maybe next time try UPS, they will ask for a signature and if no one is home will leave a note for pickup at the UPS plant. I recently had a package rerouted to an acceptance center for an extra $5, they emailed me when it was delivered there and I went over and picked it up.

For a $1400 coin I would want to be able to have it delivered to a secure location. Doesn’t seem like the buyers request for a signature is that unreasonable,

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 4:11PM

A low feedback buyer with a screen name that roughly translates as General Mess.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Electricity said:
    Maybe next time try UPS, they will ask for a signature and if no one is home will leave a note for pickup at the UPS plant. I recently had a package rerouted to an acceptance center for an extra $5, they emailed me when it was delivered there and I went over and picked it up.

For a $1400 coin I would want to be able to have it delivered to a secure location. Doesn’t seem like the buyers request for a signature is that unreasonable,

my sig required ups box was left on the stoop after a doorbell ring.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 4:18PM

@Electricity said:

No one said the request for a signature was unreasonable. As per the first post in this thread: “I explained his item would require a signature but usps is currently not getting signatures due to covid.” And various other shippers have been waiving signature requirements, as well.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up :)

Blocked

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine

I can’t argue with you on that happening, but for a $1400 item I wouldn’t want to leave anything to chance as a seller.

Regular Mail and Parcel service have been a disaster the past few months for everyone. The buyer already tipped his hand with “demanding signature service” so going in the seller should of most likely predicted a potential problem.

I’m not defending the buyer as he seems like a POS, but anything a seller can do to make the experience so smoothly is a good idea.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2021 4:32PM

@Electricity said:
    @MsMorrisine

I can’t argue with you on that happening, but for a $1400 item I wouldn’t want to leave anything to chance as a seller.

Regular Mail and Parcel service have been a disaster the past few months for everyone. The buyer already tipped his hand with “demanding signature service” so going in the seller should of most likely predicted a potential problem.

I’m not defending the buyer as he seems like a POS, but anything a seller can do to make the experience so smoothly is a good idea.

The buyer’s issue appears to be impatience. In an imperfect world and on a practical basis, not much can be done about that. You suggested that UPS might have been a better option, but were quickly presented with an example that could indicate otherwise.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the day we had a thread of Ebay buyers to ban.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 5:17PM

Just an observation- I have stuff coming and going with USPS. Everything is frozen both ways. I've noticed over the last few weeks that stuff seems to come to a grinding halt during the week then move on weekends for a Monday/Tuesday delivery.

Of course I'm only speaking from what I'm seeing personally.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    I've never read a forum post that offered both sides of the situation. Obviously, we all only have one side. It's up to the reader to decide from past experience with the OP whether to trust, agree with or ignore his/her post. Very simple. No forum police needed, thank you.
    Jim

We had a thread last year. Someone complained about a seller of a seated dollar. The seller turned out to also be a forum member who then came in and refuted the story. I didn't block either one of them.

Consider the other side. If the buyer in this case were made enough, he could go on every coin forum around and post a complaint about derryb and get him blocked by every visitor to that forum.

As per the forum police. Suppose the person whose reputation was impugned complained to PCGS that they had been irreparably harmed by the unsubstantiated claim? If I'm PCGS, I don't want anyone being called out on my forum. At one time, they asked us not to post names publicly.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

So, I assume a jury can make a decision based on only hearing from the prosecution?

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

SUPPOSE/IF do not count in any current situation, they are guesses at best and argumentative at worst.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

I wonder if "Del instruct unfulfilled other" means that they did not acquire the signature.

If that is true, then the package may have been delivered and stolen from his porch.

According to USPS.com the code means:

"DELIVERY INSTRUCTION UNFULFILLED
    The item’s delivery instructions were not fulfilled. This may be because of safety concerns or another reason."

Slightly O/T, but I've received packages that required a signature during the pandemic. I had to go to the PO to pick them up. You can force them to get a signature, can't you?

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    SUPPOSE/IF do not count in any current situation, they are guesses at best and argumentative at worst.
    Jim

My objection to these threads is universal, not based on this current thread. It's a question of forum policy not derryb's credibility.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@ms70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

So, I assume a jury can make a decision based on only hearing from the prosecution?

Are you also opposed to any thread about a grading company, buyer or seller of a coin (including the Mint) if the OP is complaining?

• Options

Oddly, maybe, the usps.com tracking looks completely different:

January 15, 2021
    In Transit, Arriving Late
    Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
    January 11, 2021, 10:55 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 11, 2021, 2:26 pm
    USPS in possession of item
    JACKSONVILLE, FL 32216
    January 10, 2021, 9:18 am
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    JACKSONVILLE, FL 32216

• Options
    edited January 15, 2021 6:12PM

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ms70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Are you also opposed to any thread about a grading company, buyer or seller of a coin (including the Mint) if the OP is complaining?

If it's of a similar vein, yes. In fact, we had that Keets thread earlier this week about PCGS (since removed by PCGS) that I made a similar complaint about.

I will admit to being a little more lenient with publicly traded companies rather than individuals. Although you might also recall my getting grief for defending everyone from eBay to PayPal to USPS. I've also been known to complain about overuse of the word "scammer" on the forum.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ms70 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

If it's of a similar vein, yes. In fact, we had that Keets thread earlier this week about PCGS (since removed by PCGS) that I made a similar complaint about.

I will admit to being a little more lenient with publicly traded companies rather than individuals. Although you might also recall my getting grief for defending everyone from eBay to PayPal to USPS. I've also been known to complain about overuse of the word "scammer" on the forum.

Thank you. I’m with you on accusatory posts which include conclusions, such as “scammer”, “fraud”, etc.

• Options

@clarkbar04 said:
    You could get into an argument with wind.

If everyone just agreed with me there would never be an argument.

;)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy you guys are pounding in this one😂

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Oddly, maybe, the usps.com tracking looks completely different:

January 15, 2021
    In Transit, Arriving Late
    Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
    January 11, 2021, 10:55 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 11, 2021, 2:26 pm
    USPS in possession of item
    JACKSONVILLE, FL 32216
    January 10, 2021, 9:18 am
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    JACKSONVILLE, FL 32216

oddly, the usps.com tracking site info does not show the package research case that I opened nor does it show an
    entry for Hereford, AZ yet the ebay tracking link does (see OP). Which do you think is more up to date and more inclusive?

• Options
    edited January 15, 2021 6:30PM

@derryb

In my experience, the eBay tracking trails the USPS tracking. But it is odd that the information changed.

That may have been adding to the buyer frustration. You were seeing Hereford, AZ in the information and he wasn't if he was on the USPS site.

This discussion has been closed.