Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

current Status of registered mail

jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipped 2 gold coins over the past few weeks via registered mail.

The first was sent the last week of December from NYC to a suburb of Buffalo. The coin departed the PO On Dec 29 and arrived in Jamaica, NY on Dec 31. I had no updates so on Friday January 8 I e-mailed the PO to inquire if there was any movement. On Monday Jan 11 I was alerted that the coin was now in Buffalo. I expected the coin to be delivered within a day. Late on Jan 13 I asked again where the coin was and received a response on Jan 14 that the coin was out for delivery. The final delivery date was the 14th so about 2 weeks to reach it's destination.

The second coin was shipped from a small town in Mass also registered mail. I dropped off the coin on Jan7. I received an update on the 8th so all looked ok. I asked for a new update on Jan 11. The coin reached a Virginia suburb on Jan 13 and was delivered on the 14th. One week delivery? Excellent.

Anecdotal but that's how my current shipments went. I wish the PO would update their shipments without my having to ask.

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

TY.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two weeks for registered is pretty common.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 10:32PM

@jkrk said:

I wish the PO would update their shipments without my having to ask.

Your inquiries do not affect tracking page updates. Updates occur when bar code is scanned. Replies to your inquiries are based on what the tracking site tells the employee providing you with an answer.

Note that USPS carriers are temporarily not getting signatures for delivery of any class of US mail.

Also note that the email alerts only tell you what you can see on the tracking site. The alert is notification that there has been an update to on-line tracking. No update to tracking, no email alert.

I have noticed on numerous occasions that the usps.com website tracking info is more up to date than that provided by clicking on the tracking number in ebay.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Registered is all about safety. It is not important, or beneficial, to report location and timestamp updates. All that matters is it arrives at its final destination. Going dark is not a bad thing.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Registered is all about safety. It is not important, or beneficial, to report location and timestamp updates. All that matters is it arrives at its final destination. Going dark is not a bad thing.
    Lance.

Tracking with registered is helpful when an item sits too long in one location (usually put in a safe and forgotten). Seeing this freeze in movement a sender can give it a bump by filing an inquiry. The inquiry causes USPS to look into where it is and why it is not moving. Sellers know that their buyer is watching tracking and is likely freaking out when the tracking goes dark.

The other benefit of up to date tracking is that it puts the recipient on alert that the package is 'out for delivery.' This is especially important now that high value items are temporarily not getting the required signature. It tells me to be on the lookout for the mailman.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not shipped anything registered recently. In the past, items would take 14 to16 days from post to delivery. From everything I read at this time, the time is likely to be longer for a while. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, we're still getting Christmas cards mailed in mid December. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's better than some priorities which according to my postmaster that were kept in limbo for weeks in December, that would never happen with a registered.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a priority registered that has not even been scanned after going half way now for 9 days. Still have no idea where it is other than "In transit".

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 3:40PM

I have a package coming to Canada from the US express mail USPS sat from Dec 27th 2020 till January 14th 2021 nothing then bang scanned yesterday now in Canadian customs that will most likely be another 1-2 weeks before I get it. There is hope. Before all this mess in the world would take 5-7 days to reach me. Now one month seems the norm.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, USPS is still squirrely even after the holidays.

January 15, 2021
    In Transit, Arriving Late
    Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
    January 13, 2021, 9:52 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility
    KANSAS CITY KS NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 13, 2021, 4:34 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    January 12, 2021, 10:29 pm
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 12, 2021, 7:49 pm
    DES MOINES IA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 12, 2021, 10:25 am
    SAINT LOUIS MO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 11, 2021, 1:47 pm
    SAINT LOUIS MO NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 10, 2021, 10:45 am
    WICHITA KS DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 10, 2021, 5:58 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    EDGERTON, KS 66021
    January 9, 2021, 11:06 pm
    January 9, 2021, 9:58 pm
    January 8, 2021, 8:12 am
    CITY OF INDUSTRY CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 8, 2021, 7:00 am
    ANAHEIM CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 7, 2021, 9:27 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    ANAHEIM CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
    January 6, 2021, 3:20 pm
    USPS picked up item
    IRVINE, CA 92614

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2021 7:31PM

I received a package today, mailed priority on 12/17, from about 50 miles away. Crazy. Almost a month for what would normally be 1 day in transit.

Have a coin in the mail from late December, original delivery date scheduled 12/29, and no movement since then. Starting to stress out about it.

Tracking just seems meaningless at this point.

• Options
    edited January 18, 2021 5:01PM

I just received a Red Alert "dead mail" email notice on my tracking from USPS for a REGISTERED and insured with signature package worth about $15,000 that said the following:

"Your package has a delivery exception. Your item could not be delivered or returned to the sender. It is being forwarded to a USPS mail recovery center where it will be processed."

Have any of you seen this email lately?

What could it mean?, as I get no additional info yet when trying. It "died" in LA after 10 days getting there from Santa Ana.

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    I just received a Red Alert "dead mail" email notice on my tracking from USPS for a REGISTERED and insured with signature package worth about $15,000 that said the following:

"Your package has a delivery exception. Your item could not be delivered or returned to the sender. It is being forwarded to a USPS mail recovery center where it will be processed."

Have any of you seen this email lately?

What could it mean?, as I get no additional info yet when trying. It "died" in LA after 10 days getting there from Santa Ana.

adhesive sticker label that fell off? Call usps number on their website, they have worked wonders on me tracking down registered and having it returned for a small fee. Even if the addresses are gone or unreadable the red registered label will give them everything they need to know.

FWIW the old "Do Not Forward" annotation has been replaced with "Return Service Requested." Always include this under the return address to avoid ebay crooks who like to have high dollare purchases rerouted to their den of theives. Ebay/PP will not honor a seller claim where tracking shows delivery to a different zip code.

• Options

Tracking is far from perfect, but it tells a buyer, ebay and PP the item was shipped and it tells a seller, ebay and PP the item was delivered. Everything in between is just gravy on the potatoes.

• Options

I am relieved to see that the package rose from the dead in Seattle early this morning and is moving again.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021 8:38AM

Looking at tracking lately has made me think that USPS is using the Mobro 4000 Garbage Barge model for delivery. While specific distribution centers are overwhelmed, they just send large quantites of mail "Somewhere Else." It takes time to get Somewhere Else, which provides the distribution centers a little time, and maybe their system isn't as backed up, either. Sometimes, Somewhere Else sees it coming and says that it needs to go to Yet a Different Place, floating around the system for a few more days, and sometimes they are able to accept it and get it one step closer to The Right Place. Other times, they simply store it until such determination can be made.

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

Ten days coast to coast:

Tracking History
    January 19, 2021, 7:17 am
    Delivered
    NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Your item was delivered at 7:17 am on January 19, 2021 in NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658.
    January 19, 2021, 7:10 am
    Arrived at Unit
    NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    January 19, 2021, 2:09 am
    Departed USPS Facility
    SANTA ANA, CA 92799
    January 19, 2021, 12:53 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    SANTA ANA, CA 92799
    January 16, 2021, 10:22 am
    Departed USPS Facility
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90009
    January 16, 2021, 10:14 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90009
    January 13, 2021, 4:25 pm
    Departed USPS Facility
    JAMAICA, NY 11430
    January 13, 2021, 2:25 pm
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    JAMAICA, NY 11430
    January 11, 2021, 3:42 pm
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    KEARNY, NJ 07099
    January 10, 2021
    In Transit to Next Facility
    January 9, 2021, 11:31 am
    USPS in possession of item
    LINCOLN PARK, NJ 07035

• Options

one would think that since carriers are temporarily not having to go to the door for a signature, shipping delays would have subsided.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2021 8:53AM

Looks like ours were truck mates for the last leg of the journey. It's always a sigh of relief when my babies complete part of their journey!

Ps mine only took 6 days!

Delivered
    NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    Your item was delivered at 7:17 am on January 19, 2021 in NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658.
    January 19, 2021, 6:53 am
    Arrived at Unit
    NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    January 19, 2021, 12:22 am
    Departed USPS Facility
    SANTA ANA, CA 92799
    January 19, 2021, 12:19 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    SANTA ANA, CA 92799
    January 16, 2021, 10:23 am
    Departed USPS Facility
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90009
    January 16, 2021, 9:56 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90009
    January 14, 2021, 11:00 am
    Departed USPS Facility
    ATLANTA, GA 30320
    January 14, 2021, 10:52 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    ATLANTA, GA 30320
    January 13, 2021, 10:31 pm
    Departed USPS Facility
    ATLANTA, GA 30304
    January 13, 2021, 6:41 pm
    Departed Post Office
    VILLA RICA, GA 30180
    January 13, 2021, 2:56 pm
    VILLA RICA, GA 30180
    January 13, 2021, 6:34 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    ATLANTA, GA 30304

@heavymetal said:
    Ten days coast to coast:

Tracking History
    Delivered
    NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    January 19, 2021, 7:10 am
    Arrived at Unit
    NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
    January 19, 2021, 2:09 am
    Departed USPS Facility
    SANTA ANA, CA 92799
    January 19, 2021, 12:53 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    SANTA ANA, CA 92799
    January 16, 2021, 10:22 am
    Departed USPS Facility
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90009
    January 16, 2021, 10:14 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    LOS ANGELES, CA 90009
    January 13, 2021, 4:25 pm
    Departed USPS Facility
    JAMAICA, NY 11430
    January 13, 2021, 2:25 pm
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    JAMAICA, NY 11430
    January 11, 2021, 3:42 pm
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    KEARNY, NJ 07099
    January 10, 2021
    In Transit to Next Facility
    January 9, 2021, 11:31 am
    LINCOLN PARK, NJ 07035

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    one would think that since carriers are temporarily not having to go to the door for a signature, shipping delays would have subsided.

This only improves the throughput of the carrier at the delivery end, but doesn't help the constipated USPS that was recently fed an awful lot of white rice and cheese.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Canada customs at major import locations are usually processing envelopes, any size, and parcels within 24-36 hours. OFTEN within a few hours of arrival.
    They are very automated and sophisticated equipment before a customs agent even touches the item. A solid reason for physically handling the item must be evident. Dogs, x-ray, Sensors, OCR readers, and other technologies are employed to check on the shippers and receivers' history.
    However, If a shipper or receiver is in their "black book" for any reason, the items will be closely scrutinized, maybe even opened and it takes longer. So it should be!
    However, Canada Post is conveniently using Canada Customs as an easy scapegoat for delays that occur because of short staffing on purpose, and "outdated work ethics".... i.e. speak government Union workers having only "one speed" and no incentive.
    Incentives all go to upper-top management in form of huge unrealistic salaries and benefits. and this for sitting at a desk dreaming up new issues to implement, instead of finding solutions to existing issues, like making it easier to ship OR receive shipments.
    If Canada Post would be a private company, it would be in extreme deep dooooodoooo, worse than Chapter11.
    Sorry for the rant...

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file