Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

In search of the worst sports card ever made

Try to top this one. Not a real background. Not a real uniform. Just a bad effort by Topps.

Comments

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 472 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honorable mention: The Topps 1973 Steve Garvey card...featuring Wes Parker. Never understood why they used this photo. You can barely see Garvey.

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 361 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    1963 Gad Fun card #46. In my opinion this card should end your search for the worst sports card ever made.

Winner...lock thread

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    1963 Gad Fun card #46. In my opinion this card should end your search for the worst sports card ever made.

That is insane even for back then.

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:
    Honorable mention: The Topps 1973 Steve Garvey card...featuring Wes Parker. Never understood why they used this photo. You can barely see Garvey.

I saw the 1973 photo and assumed this was a worst sports card SET thread.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 4:10PM

@mrmopar said:

Topps and their 1960s-70s airbrushing would bring hours of fun to this thread. I'll always be haunted by 1977 Rick Jones and 1978 Greg Minton. I mean, what the hell??? No picture, no problem! Just draw one!! Topps was clearly having an annual "bring your son/daughter to work day" and they let someone have some fun that day!
    >

I think these were black and white photos that Topps “colorized” using airbrushing. There was a thread about it awhile back....

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/856443/does-anyone-know-the-background-to-the-1978-greg-minton-card

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 4:19PM

the 1973 Garvey card is great. Topps photography from 1970-1977 is what makes all these sets the best Topps ever produced imho.

The thread is over after the 1963 gad card. That is by far the worst card ever produced. The thread should be over and locked after that post.

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭

I've always found this particular card up there in the discussion. Must have had someone from Glamour Shots at the mall there that day taking pictures.

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    West22West22 Posts: 227 ✭✭✭

No discussion of terrible cards would be complete without the rookie card of Tony Gwynn's butt:

Worst card ever or best card ever?

I file this one under "stuff you could say in 1975":

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

may not THE worst, but hard to argue it's not one of the worst:

• Options
    stevebaystevebay Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

@mrmopar said:

Rick Jones looks like a hybrid of Ryne Sandberg and Jack Clark

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

When your name is spelled out in mustard, it's not a great card.

• Options
    DuldejDuldej Posts: 15 ✭✭

Couple of lousy Robin Younts.

• Options

Here's my entry for Worst Card Ever, 1973-74 Topps ABA Warren Jabali. They had no 'action' shot, but Topps decided to fabricate Warren being 'in action' for his card! A bad photoshop effort taken of Warren dribbling, they didn't even airbrush the player out that they placed him over! Just put him 'on the court' facing a defender. I don't know..., I think they fooled me, maybe he is dribbling in the game?!?

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@shawther said:
    I think this could be a strong candidate!

So many jokes...so inappropriate. :)

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

pre manscaping, we've come a long way

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll agree that the Gad is certainly among the most offensive cards I've ever seen. I don't want to lock the thread because it is a rather fun topic otherwise. As long as it stays that way, I say let's keep it going.

@Rainman62 - solid first post, buddy. I've never seen that card before, but might have to pick one up just for its ridiculousness. Welcome to the forum!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

1986 Monty Gum Wrestling Stars #72 Jim Cornette...Notice the near total lack of Jim Cornette, except his right arm!

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dgf2099 said:
    1986 Monty Gum Wrestling Stars #72 Jim Cornette...Notice the near total lack of Jim Cornette, except his right arm!

No problem on that card. As we can read, that one is of Jin Cornette, Jim's brother.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This card has not been altered…

…though it should have been. It looks like a melted wax figure of Don Mossi except that’s what Don Mossi looked like.

So, technically, it’s not Topps’ fault as much as it is God’s.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

I always thought the 1990 Upper Deck Bill Buckner was disrespectful. Although it might not have been intentional…