Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Challenge Coin I think we can all appreciate - Link added for those that wanted one

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 11, 2021 9:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

So, my oldest Son sent me a present, but had a specific request not to be opened until today, January 1, 2021

He said he didn't want to jinx it. :D

Tyler is also a US Navy Vet (like his Dad), and he is one of the funniest people I know. He ordered these for everyone in immediate family (and some of his best friends), and sent them all with the same instructions.

Not a US Coin, but a something I think almost all of us can appreciate. If anyone is offended by the somewhat direct inscriptions, let me know and I'll take this down.

Otherwise ... show your Challenge Coins

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm a little dense this morning but what is it with that bird like creature and what is the white thing with what looks like a gold colored comb that he's holding?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it 🙂

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if it means this but during the Black Death doctors wore masks like that to protect themselves from the plague. White sheet might be a death count?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • RedStormRedStorm Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    Not sure if it means this but during the Black Death doctors wore masks like that to protect themselves from the plague. White sheet might be a death count?

Yes, the bird creature is definitely a plague doctor. It was the doctor’s form of PPE back in the day: a beak shaped mask with herbs stuffed in the beak to filter the impure air, glass covered eye openings to protect the eyes, an overcoat, sometimes wax coated, to protect the body and they usually carried a cane so as to not have to physically touch the infected patient.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

Thanks. I found "Plague Doctors" on Wikipedia where this costume is explained in detail. Apparently the beak was stuffed with aromatic materials such as herbs and spices to protect the doctor from the bad air.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the white “comb” like thing the bird is holding is a roll of toilet paper. The gold lines give it cylindrical shape definition, and its unraveling a bit towards his beak. Maybe I need another coffee.

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭

As others have mentioned, it is a plague doctor and a roll of toilet paper.

Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

@TennesseeDave said:
    Seems appropriate. I work in a prison so I am not easily offended.

Contrary to your disposition I am thoroughly offended every time I have to go to our Indiana State Correctional facility. I have been the chosen representative for my company for nearly 20 years and I am insulted to have to be part of such a waste of taxpayer dollars.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad everyone has enjoyed this so far ... I really got a kick out of it ... so apropos for the sh__ storm we have had to endure.

I talked to my Son and these were sold out. If they do another run, he promised to send me the link and I'll revisit this post and update you all.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

I rather enjoyed seeing that one. Thanks!

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I for one don't like it at all. Let's keep vulgar language completely off this forum regardless of whether it is on medals or in print.

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:
    I for one don't like it at all. Let's keep vulgar language completely off this forum regardless of whether it is on medals or in print.

10-4 ... the reason I made the original comment. I have no reason to want to make this place worse. I personally have a bit of a Sailor's mouth, and find some gutter humor quite funny, but alas ...

Since a lot of people seemed to like it, I am hoping a compromise is in order and we can leave it up a little longer from those who may not have seen it yet.

In the meantime, I edited the picture to remove a few letters from the obverse that I would suspect are the most offensive.

Todd - BHNC #242
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you google the phrase in question + image you get a variety of challenge medals and cloth patches with various images.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 12:45PM

@PerryHall said:
    Maybe I'm a little dense this morning but what is it with that bird like creature and what is the white thing with what looks like a gold colored comb that he's holding?

Detonation device for the dumpster fire on the reverse??? :D

• TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fiftysevener said:

@TennesseeDave said:
    Seems appropriate. I work in a prison so I am not easily offended.

Contrary to your disposition I am thoroughly offended every time I have to go to our Indiana State Correctional facility. I have been the chosen representative for my company for nearly 20 years and I am insulted to have to be part of such a waste of taxpayer dollars.

I do understand that aspect. I am disgusted that so much money is spent/wasted on some of the people that will never be useful in society.

Trade $'s

Mostly for @Kudbegud but I was told the link is back up if anyone wants one of these. I have no relation to the seller

https://mhiswag.myshopify.com/collections/2020/products/i-survived-2020-challenge-coin

Todd - BHNC #242
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @pursuitofliberty. One on order.

• MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Thanks for link, received mine recently. They may need to make one for 2021 for us Texans that survived the blizzard...

Mark
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2021 12:57PM

I'm offended you think I would be offended.

Now I'm triggered!

Who's your manager?

;)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clever boy - Not offended.

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

if I were into CC, I'd buy this one... maybe two. :/

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • batumibatumi Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    So, my oldest Son sent me a present, but had a specific request not to be opened until today, January 1, 2021

He said he didn't want to jinx it. :D

Tyler is also a US Navy Vet (like his Dad), and he is one of the funniest people I know. He ordered these for everyone in immediate family (and some of his best friends), and sent them all with the same instructions.

Not a US Coin, but a something I think almost all of us can appreciate. If anyone is offended by the somewhat direct inscriptions, let me know and I'll take this down.

Otherwise ... show your Challenge Coins

Just wait for the 2121 issue. I feel this will be a long one!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file