Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rainbow over Gettysburg

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 1, 2021 6:43PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Just ran across this Gettysburg silver puck with rainbow toning that actually looks like a rainbow!

How cool is this?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/39509885

Comments

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2021 7:00PM

Wasn’t there a thread recently asking where are all the toned pucks? Well, here’s one so I guess they do exist. It looks cool, but I’d be worried about how dark the reverse is on its left side, borderline environmental damage that could turn worse over time. My guess is that it was stored in high humidity/ warm area like up in the attic.

I have one that has bronzish peripheral toning where I accidentally stored it improperly, but the rest I had in the bank vault inside an intercept shield box and with large desiccant canisters are all still blast white. I might let the one with peripheral toning continue to tone by putting it somewhere unprotected. It picked up the peripheral toning inside a cardboard box but still in its mint capsule. I live about 6 blocks from the ocean so humidity tends to be about 75% all the time. This is too high humidity for coins, so usually I make sure to store any lower value coins I want to keep home with me either in tins with a piece of sacrificial copper foil inside on top of the coins or in Tupperware with desiccant inside. The one I stored improperly was in a box where I keep coin supplies (flips, empty capsules, etc...) with no desiccant inside. I have no idea how I put it there instead of taking it to the bank with the other ones I own. I bought the just for the first 2 years that pucks came out. I got 2 of the nicer looking ones and got them slabbed, the rest just in left in their mint capsules

Mr_Spud

• Options

@Mr_Spud said:
    Wasn’t there a thread recently asking where are all the toned pucks? Well, here’s one so I guess they do exist.

You're right! I found the thread and will post this there:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1048671/rainbow-toned-hockey-pucks

I’d be worried about how dark the reverse is on its left side, borderline environmental damage that could turn worse over time. My guess is that it was stored in high humidity/ warm area like up in the attic.

It is dark on that side. It looks like dark rain to me. Hopefully it doesn't get worse.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I am not a tarnish fan, that is an interesting effect on that coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT

• Options

Why do you think so? Do you think it was intentionally done?

PCGS grades it MS64.

Here's one with a consecutive cert number graded PCGS MS67DMPL. Do you think this is also AT?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/39509886

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 9:32AM

Spend some time perusing EDM and MotherNaturesShowcase on ebay and you'll see the pattern. I have them saved to see what they are up to.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2021 9:38AM

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Spend some time perusing EDM and MotherNaturesShowcase on ebay and you'll see the pattern.

I haven't seen them offer any pucks, have you?

I don't follow them that often so it might be worth checking eBay and WorthPoint to see.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful toning on that quarter....a rainbow indeed! 🌈

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Applied heat?

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    While I am not a tarnish fan, that is an interesting effect on that coin. Cheers, RickO

Hol'up. Wait. What?!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

@ricko said:

Hol'up. Wait. What?!

:o

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    :o

:#

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file