Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many of us have and love raw coins, tokens and medals?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a number of top pop slabbed pieces but I also enjoy:

Raw high grade pieces which I only hold by the edge. It's beautiful to see them without a holder and feel the weight of them in your hands.

Raw lower grade pieces where I freely run my fingers over the faces to feel the texture.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins I seem to be coming across raw coins in unexpected ways by the people I know. See attached 1938-D Buffalo that was in a funky little US history self slab for a long time. Looks F-VF and took on a nice light rainbow toning. Ding in the C but I love buffs. Have a good day. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

All my medals are raw, really enjoy them that way, everything else is slabbed.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they are not to valuable I do enjoy that. I used to have many higher priced items raw but then
    as I got older I wanted to slab them for protection from damage. My hands have become shaky
    and don’t need to ruin them.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my coins are raw. Only a few are graded.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Count me in the “I love raw coins” camp. You just can not fully experience the surfaces of a lightly circulated classic coin inside plastic.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

The vast majority of my coins are raw. I have very few slabbed ones.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    librtyheadlibrtyhead Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭

I've always loved xf coins. They seem more real to me slabbed or unslabbed.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have cherry wood trays of silver dollars from all over the world

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess that many if not most here have albums finished and unfinished of raw coins of every kind, I have a number of low grade Morgans that are great to hold and as you say feel the weight.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have a couple dozen raw coins/medals...some don't stay that way.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Several of my medals are raw. They look great that way and are less grade-sensitive than many coins anyway, making slabbing less important.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2021 10:54AM

--- Raw high grade pieces which I only hold by the edge.
    --- I used to have many higher priced items raw but then as I got older I wanted to slab them for protection from damage.

here we have two opinions, opposite sides of the same coin, if you will. while I understand the first I have come to follow the second and always encourage collectors to find some type of permanent holder for their valuable items. I will assume that everyone from both sides of the discussion will eventually have to place their valuable coins into something, if only a flip, for storage.

there are quite a few old-time members in this thread, let me jog your memory(s) if I can. back shortly after the turn of the Century there was an ongoing problem with/at PCGS, it entailed slight rub occurring on coins submitted to them in flips as required. the simple act of putting the coin in the flip(submitter) and removing the coin from the flip(PCGS employee) was causing light friction or scratches to coins. it was a problem PCGS then-President HRH had come here to help rectify with our help. I don't remember what the solution was or what problem was determined, but it went away.

the moral of the story: no matter how careful we are, the damage from repetitively handling raw coins is a reality.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2021 11:15AM

@keets said:
    --- I used to have many higher priced items raw but then as I got older I wanted to slab them for protection from damage.

here we have two opinions, opposite sides of the same coin, if you will. while I understand the first I have come to follow the second and always encourage collectors to find some type of permanent holder for their valuable items. I will assume that everyone from both sides of the discussion will eventually have to place their valuable coins into something, if only a flip, for storage.

there are quite a few old-time members in this thread, let me jog your memory(s) if I can. back shortly after the turn of the Century there was an ongoing problem with/at PCGS, it entailed slight rub occurring on coins submitted to them in flips as required. the simple act of putting the coin in the flip(submitter) and removing the coin from the flip(PCGS employee) was causing light friction or scratches to coins. it was a problem PCGS then-President HRH had come here to help rectify with our help. I don't remember what the solution was or what problem was determined, but it went away.

the moral of the story: no matter how careful we are, the damage from repetitively handling raw coins is a reality.

The protection angle is a good one and I an understand people feeling that way. That being said, I get kind of an adrenaline high holding not just one raw piece but having 5 or more laid out, picking up one at a time, and even arranging them together for photos. That's a high that I get from say running, but I don't get from holding a coin in slab.

It's really incredible to have 5 or more raw, higher value pieces to enjoy.

• Options

I handle my raw with respect. And there's plenty of quality holders to protect them and play nice at the same time. Great thread, respect the conversation, bring on the new year coins! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few and can add that the talent by some of the medalists is unbelievable. Grades do not hold the same meaning as coins when collecting medals. The OP has tremendous amount of knowledge and shares willingly with anyone needing advice.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

Let me also add that as a variety collector you do not always need to have your coins encapsulated. If your a dealer or trader or investor that’s different, but if your a collector raw is fine.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep an old Sovereign handy to flip and play with. I just like the feel of gold without worrying about messing it up.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2021 12:18PM

I like raw coins, medals and tokens, but I usually end up putting them in albums, capsules or saflips. I like to heat seal the saflips with an impulse sealer. I avoid handling them, even lowgrade ones and usually use cotton or nitrile gloves. I even like to store them in either tins or intercept shield boxes or Tupperware type containers with desiccant packs in them to prevent corrosion. The valuable ones get put into safety deposit boxes with protection and I don’t see them that often and the less valuable ones stay home with me and I can look at them or work on sets more often.

But I have thought it would be fun to fill up a swimming pool with them and diving in like Uncle Scrooge McDuck

Mr_Spud

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@keets said:

The protection angle is a good one and I an understand people feeling that way. That being said, I get kind of an adrenaline high holding not just one raw piece but having 5 or more laid out, picking up one at a time, and even arranging them together for photos. That's a high that I get from say running, but I don't get from holding a coin in slab.

It's really incredible to have 5 or more raw, higher value pieces to enjoy.

A coin in a slab is usually an easier sell also.
    I am an album person and most of my coins are in albums in a SDB in a bank. I would say that less then 10% of my coins are currently in slabs, however, this may change when I go to sell. Raw coins are much easier to store. 100 coins in slabs take up too much space vs 100 coins in 2x2 holders. Yes, I do like raw coins better, but slabs have become more acceptable over the years and I can now accept either.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2021 12:29PM

I have come to the position where I prefer my British and ancient Roman coins and tokens and medals raw. Raw coins take up a lot less storage space, and photographing them is much easier. I buy certified coins only when I have to do it. Some far I have not cracked anything out, but I’ve been tempted.

I prefer storing and displaying my 19th century presidential campaign tokens in albums. Once more I buy them in slabs when I have to do it.

As for medals, I much prefer them raw. Slabbed medals take up a lot space, which is real disadvantage when you need to keep them in a bank safe deposit box.

I still prefer regular U.S. coins in slabs as well as Proof coins which you have no business handling. Certified U.S. coins are the market these days, and you can’t buck the trend, even if you might like to go against it. I don’t want to bunk that situation.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 7070 that I cracked out a bunch.
    Now I still waiting for 2 coins
    1-to update 1878-CC PCGS F15
    2-1835 Bust Quarter NGC f12 to complete set.
    Both are floating around in the USPS system or ?

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love raw coins especially of the bust type. If I was buying a really expensive coin I would stick to the graded ones.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing a 7070 album has renewed my love for raw coins. Nothing beats a nice chocolate brown large cent in your hand.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several albums entirely devoted to raw coins. Some might have problems, too, but I like them. Whenever I buy some, my wife loves to hold them before we put them into the album.

She’s also developed an enjoyment of Liberty nickels so I got her an antique glass dish where she keeps ones she’s bought or ones I’ve given her.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 4:12AM

Coins, medals and tokens can and should be appreciated under varying degrees of care. I have no problem submitting those coins I feel warrant the review and attention slabbing provides. Some coins I appreciate in albums such as the Library of Coins series or the older Whitman blue. A collection should represent your intellectual curiosity as well as your interest in history art and design. How they are stored and viewed should maximize your enjoyment but not at at the risk of impairing the collection

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have held the Linderman and Garrett 1804 dollars raw in my hands without leaving a fingerprint on either, except perhaps on their edges.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2021 6:42PM

@CaptHenway said:
    I have held the Linderman and Garrett 1804 dollars raw in my hands without leaving a fingerprint on either, except perhaps on their edges.

How would you describe the difference from holding them, or similar coins, in slabs?

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a completed album of gem uncirculated state quarters, and one of American Innovation dollars in progress, but all my classic coins are slabbed for my registry sets.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

All of my Chuck E. Cheese and Showbiz Pizza tokens are raw. Mostly because it’s a collection of almost 400 different tokens, and even if someone would slab them I could never handle the submission fees.

• Options

@JoeLewis said:
    All of my Chuck E. Cheese and Showbiz Pizza tokens are raw. Mostly because it’s a collection of almost 400 different tokens, and even if someone would slab them I could never handle the submission fees.

That's awesome. I just looked up these tokens and saw your site after you posted it. Lots of collecting here!

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

Medals in my collecting area are almost always available raw, not slabbed, often overseas. Seller abuses are not as common. Display in trays. No strong financial incentive to have them graded, they are appreciated for their art and history. Costs are relatively modest notwithstanding comparative scarcity. Condition is important but there are no great price differences, in fact pricing is tough to determine, very little available information. Like turning back the clock. Great fun. Love my US type but a very different collecting experience, everything is slabbed.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my stuff is in 2x2s. I used to love buying completely raw coins and encapsulating them myself before putting them into a book or stack or Velveeta box.
    Some of my most valuable coins were bought (and remain) in 2x2s. I don’t mind doing that at all in person. All of my online purchases have been slabs, and probably will continue to be.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ancient collectors generally prefer raw coins although Heritage is putting some serious effort toward changing that tide. I personally prefer them raw but stored in a "Quickslab" so that they can enjoy all of the protection of a holder without being permanently entombed.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have raw coins, I have slabbed coins, I have coins in flips, I have coins in 2x2's..... I really enjoy holding gold coins raw... All my medals are raw...as are my challenge coins. Valuable coins should be protected - and self slabs are a good method that allow raw viewing as well as general protection when done viewing. For selling purposes, TPG slabs obviously are an advantage for authenticity and grade confidence. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Coinslave87Coinslave87 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    I probably own 150 large cents, with roughly a third of them slabbed.
    They run the gamut from beautiful 63/64 coins, to decrepit dogs that few would appreciate:

BIN.....awesome

Successful transactions with: Jinx86, Flcardtrader, Robkool, JWP.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 1:39PM

I own a lot of raw tokens, maybe more than or just as many as I own slabbed.

At one point I was considering freeing them all from their plastic tombs.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 2:36PM

In my little world, a raw coin is completely naked - not in any flip or anything. Every time I would go into my old hometown B&M, when I was visiting my dad before he passed years ago, I would buy something. I would get a great price. I have a raw 1812 large cent where if you look under good light and have good eyes, you can see the date. 1830's raw dime and raw cent where the date is clear but most of the details aren't. Raw late 19'th century Barber quarter in G-4 (my grade). Raw common-date 2c. I would keep these on a table in my at work just out there for anyone to see. Great conversation pieces, and anyone who stopped in my office was allowed to handle them however they'd like.

Back when the kids were little, I filled one of those Whitman 20th century type folders with raw coins. I made clear to the kids and to my wife that those coins were toys. Kids wanted to get them out to play with them - totally fine with me.

As I got older I tried to stay in shape as a soccer referee for kids anywhere from rec league 9 year olds up to competitive travel 19-year olds. I finally ended that when the pandemic hit. Had a bright shiny (whizzed) 1921 Morgan that I used for the coin toss to open the game. Most refs would use a soccer "flip coin" from a tournament or a quarter or whatever they had in the car. One time I'm doing a game and another ref pulls out a Peace dollar and we had a bonding moment. Almost every player, even some of the older boys, would comment that the old dollar was cool. The little ones though were really impressed. Great icebreaker to start a match.

Whether it's in a flip or a slab, once a coin is "in something," it's no longer truly "raw" in my mind. I don't buy much any more other than trying to finish out a PO-G merc dime set raw, or a similar quality Washington silver quarters set. Don't get back to the hometown B&M any more as I haven't been "home" in years. Kids long gave up on coins - but hopefully someday there will be grandkids and the 20th century type folder will come out again to play :smile:

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing quite like history in your hands:

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredF said:
    In my little world, a raw coin is completely naked - not in any flip or anything. Every time I would go into my old hometown B&M, when I was visiting my dad before he passed years ago, I would buy something. I would get a great price. I have a raw 1812 large cent where if you look under good light and have good eyes, you can see the date. 1830's raw dime and raw cent where the date is clear but most of the details aren't. Raw late 19'th century Barber quarter in G-4 (my grade). Raw common-date 2c. I would keep these on a table in my at work just out there for anyone to see. Great conversation pieces, and anyone who stopped in my office was allowed to handle them however they'd like.

Back when the kids were little, I filled one of those Whitman 20th century type folders with raw coins. I made clear to the kids and to my wife that those coins were toys. Kids wanted to get them out to play with them - totally fine with me.

As I got older I tried to stay in shape as a soccer referee for kids anywhere from rec league 9 year olds up to competitive travel 19-year olds. I finally ended that when the pandemic hit. Had a bright shiny (whizzed) 1921 Morgan that I used for the coin toss to open the game. Most refs would use a soccer "flip coin" from a tournament or a quarter or whatever they had in the car. One time I'm doing a game and another ref pulls out a Peace dollar and we had a bonding moment. Almost every player, even some of the older boys, would comment that the old dollar was cool. The little ones though were really impressed. Great icebreaker to start a match.

Whether it's in a flip or a slab, once a coin is "in something," it's no longer truly "raw" in my mind. I don't buy much any more other than trying to finish out a PO-G merc dime set raw, or a similar quality Washington silver quarters set. Don't get back to the hometown B&M any more as I haven't been "home" in years. Kids long gave up on coins - but hopefully someday there will be grandkids and the 20th century type folder will come out again to play :smile:

I used to ref soccer also. Often I would use a Buffalo nickel for the flip and give it to one of the captains. Maybe one of them will eventually collect......

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options

Raw coin collecting is fun and part of the hunt, cherry pick, album filling world I enjoy being part of. Peace Roy

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

All of my medals and tokens are raw, including one of the largest early WA State collection of medals. They have no need for a slab at this time.

I also have many raw early US coins from my favorite engraver:

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2021 4:58PM

Depends.

Mostly slabs for protection, value, selling and what not...

Got a VF IHC Dansco album that I have been working on.

Similarly a few Library of Coins Part 2 1941- and beyond Lincoln sets in BU.

Resisting the urge for Medals... they would have to be raw with presentation box

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

All of my Papal Medals are raw and holdings some of them knowing they may have been held by His Holiness is emotional.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file