Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which would you rather have

VetterVetter Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, quick question. 2 key date coins. Both same date and price. 1st one is an AG/G problem free with just honest wear. 2nd one is VF with a lot of detail but has been cleaned a long time ago. Not distracting but you can tell it’s been cleaned. Which would you want in your collection?

Members I have done business with:
Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on the coins, but if a coin was visibly cleaned, it can’t be properly graded as a VF, right? VF details maybe.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the information provided, I’d take the first one. If I could tell that the second one had been cleaned, it would be distracting.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

In an auction, I bet the VF with the "non distracting" cleaning would bring more money than the AG/G coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A final decision would have to be made in hand... However, just based on the above information, coin number one would be my choice. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 6:42AM

You’re asking what I would do.....ditch both and buy a great example of the design (as a type collector). I’m sure this isn’t the answer you were looking for. :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@PerryHall said:
    In an auction, I bet the VF with the "non distracting" cleaning would bring more money than the AG/G coin.

That’s probably right, but would you automatically prefer the VF for that reason? The question was “Which would you want in your collection?”

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@PerryHall said:

That’s probably right, but would you automatically prefer the VF for that reason? The question was “Which would you want in your collection?”

I'd have to see both coins but most likely the VF if the cleaning isn't too noticeable.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@MFeld said:

@PerryHall said:

I'd have to see both coins but most likely the VF if the cleaning isn't too noticeable.

I think that’s the crux of the matter. What’s too noticeable, distracting, unacceptable, etc., varies widely from one person to another.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are other factors to consider that only the collector asking the question can answer. How important is the series and completing the series to you? How often do you see the rare coin/key date that poses this dilemma? And when you see it, what is the overall look of the date and how does the cleaned VF fit into the surviving population?

My initial reaction would be to pass on both and wait for the right coin. While this is the easiest answer, it really depends on the coins, what they look like and how often they surface. It is very easy to preach this response without knowing what coins/dates/series are at stake.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about an example. For both coins to be the same date, yet extreme differences in grade and still a key coins, I cannot imagine them being the same price level.
    Now as to the imaginary question, if it was truly a cleaning not distracting, I would select the VF, although what is not distracting to one may be to another.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

For my personal collection it would always be the best problem-free coin I can afford. So in this scenario I'd go for the AG/G problem free.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Coinkat said, personally I'd have to decide how it fits into the rest of my collection. Do I have other A, AG coins ? Or is the rest of the set VF and better ? And of course how noticeable is the cleaning ? Just not enough info to make a decision.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it completely out of the question to hold out for a problem-free VG or Fine? Even if it takes a few years?

mirabela
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Based on the information provided, I’d take the first one. If I could tell that the second one had been cleaned, it would be distracting.

@ricko said:
    A final decision would have to be made in hand... However, just based on the above information, coin number one would be my choice. Cheers, RickO

I agree :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Bottom line is show me the coins and I'll give you a definite answer. :D

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2020 8:19AM

As most have said, probably not enough information to give you a clear straight forward answer. What I would say, is for me the simple answer would be whichever coin made me smile or feel good when I look at it. Or if they both make you smile, whichever one makes you smile more. I would also say that if the cleaning may bother you, my experience is the concern doesn’t diminish with time, it usually grows.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to see the coins before I make that decision. Personally, I collect problem free coins for the most part, but, cleaning may or may not look offensive.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on the series. Many lightly cleaned Bust Dollars are straight graded. I've seen at least 20 AUs graded this way. Would you prefer one of those to a worn, original AG-G coin of that series?

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador said:
    It depends on the series. Many lightly cleaned Bust Dollars are straight graded. I've seen at least 20 AUs graded this way. Would you prefer one of those to a worn, original AG-G coin of that series?

This is probably the best answer so far.

Bust halves and dollars were pretty much all cleaned at one time. How offensive the evidence of the cleaning is runs the gamut of OMG! to "Really, that was cleaned?".

It also depends on composition. Dipped copper is a far different matter than dipped silver.

Is it dipped clean or polished clean? Are there hairlines?

• Options

@Elcontador said:

Good point. What if the lightly cleaned VF coin was a straight graded bust dollar in a top tier slab? Would you still take the completely original AG/G coin rather than the VF coin?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Elcontador said:

Good point. What if the lightly cleaned VF coin was a straight graded bust dollar in a top tier slab? Would you still take the completely original AG/G coin rather than the VF coin?

You could also buy the VF coin and wear it down to a solid Good. ;)

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

I rarely disagree with Feld, and I am a lowball collector myself, yet would take a VF (old cleaning) coin over an AG if it is a key date.
    I think of a 1916-D Mercury dime for example. I'd much rather have the VF over the problem-free AG.

peacockcoins

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm taking the VF cleaned if it has the eye appeal. Any series.

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save your money and buy a problem free coin you will like forever. It will cost you more to upgrade these later.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll take a box of Cubans.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2021 5:14AM

I’m truly not trying to derail the thread, but if the VF had a CAC, to me (and many others) that means while it was obviously cleaned, at least it was done GENTLY ENOUGH to merit the CAC. While the majority of collectors would likely prefer the “original” AG/G coin, there’s a large silent group that would prefer the VF that better shows its natural luster for the grade, even though it had obviously been cleaned.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file