Home Sports Talk
Options

Bill Belichick and the Pro Football HOF

AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question here purely for sake of discussion...

Given that we have seen a drastic turn in the Patriots since Brady left, and given that Belichick has never been particularly friendly with the media, is there any chance that the media gets back at him when his time comes and he isn't voted into the HOF in his first year of eligibility? Maybe has to wait until year two or three?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

Bill Belichick and the Pro Football HOF

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Super Bowls are all that matters and Belichick goes in on the first ballot.

Even Perkdog would vote Belichick in on the first ballot.

i think? LOL

• Options

Like Terrell Owens?

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

As it will always be said now and 100 years from now Bill and Tom go hand in hand to the HOF. We will never see anything like this again. No team, QB, coach will dominate the NFL for 20 years. You can’t mention one without the other. Last night was the first game without meaning for the Patriots in 20 years. Amazing and I got to witness it twice a year for the duration.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Another interesting question is will Bill Belichick get in unanimously on the first ballot?

Without question in a perfect world, Belichick gets in unanimously on the first ballot.

However my poll answer would be different on this question, and for reasons already mentioned, I doubt if Belichick goes in unanimously.> @AFLfan said:

Like Terrell Owens?

Yes, that was a bit ridiculous.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they'll vote him in, but they won't like doing it!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Even Perkdog would vote Belichick in on the first ballot.

i think? LOL

Of course lol. I can’t stand 50% of the guy but he is first ballot without any question.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

first ballot for sure

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

He'll have plenty of time to repair his negative image with the media.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    Like Terrell Owens?

The difference between Bill and Terrell is Bill is who he is, Terrell was like a box of chocolates where you had no idea what he was going to be from day to day ect.. Bill might get some negative votes due to his anti social behavior but I doubt he gets snubbed like Terrell did. Bill is consistent whether it was his winning or being short with the media. Terrell was all over the place

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Writers might not like him, but they would get roasted if they didn't vote him in on the first ballot.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coaches have not come close to what Belichick accomplished are in the Hall of Fame. Voting him in is a no brainer.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Belichick does not get in his first year it does not mean he isn't quite as great as he is. It would mean there is a serious lack of journalistic integrity.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@perkdog said:

@AFLfan said:
    Like Terrell Owens?

The difference between Bill and Terrell is Bill is who he is, Terrell was like a box of chocolates where you had no idea what he was going to be from day to day ect.. Bill might get some negative votes due to his anti social behavior but I doubt he gets snubbed like Terrell did. Bill is consistent whether it was his winning or being short with the media. Terrell was all over the place

You're right, but still no excuse for TO not being a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Let's tell it like it is...for whatever reason NFL wide receivers are too often prima donna, pain in the arzes. Of course Owens was at the top of the list regarding that - LOL.

But to my recollection, Owens never had any problems with the law, abusing women, etc, which in my opinion should be a much better reason for not voting for a player.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 29, 2020 8:44PM
    Belichick has upset too many people/voters and is not selected in his first year of eligibility.

I got tired of looking at all the red boxes, I'm hoping mine is blue.

Bingo.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt that he cares one way or the other.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    I doubt that he cares one way or the other.

Probably true but I think he cares about the all time wins record

• Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@AFLfan said:
    Like Terrell Owens?

You're right, but still no excuse for TO not being a first ballot Hall of Famer.

Let's tell it like it is...for whatever reason NFL wide receivers are too often prima donna, pain in the arzes. Of course Owens was at the top of the list regarding that - LOL.

But to my recollection, Owens never had any problems with the law, abusing women, etc, which in my opinion should be a much better reason for not voting for a player.

FACT

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@AFLfan said:
    Like Terrell Owens?

FACT

Other than his "weirdness" I have always wondered why he has such a bad reputation. Whenever I saw him, he looked like a GREAT competitor. The thing with signing a ball after a touchdown? What else?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I don't know a lot about Owens, but I was talking to a HOF voter once who said that he was an absolute cancer in the locker room for every team he played for. Supposedly when Owens was discussed in early voting meetings, this particular voter said that he was divisive with his teams and would be no different with the HOF, though he did not know why or how that would happen. Sure enough, the guy gets voted in and becomes the first inductee to ever voluntarily skip Induction Weekend and hold his own ceremony.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@AFLfan said:
    Like Terrell Owens?

FACT

Other than his "weirdness" I have always wondered why he has such a bad reputation. Whenever I saw him, he looked like a GREAT competitor. The thing with signing a ball after a touchdown? What else?

TO was with the Eagles for two seasons, actually sort of one and a half seasons (LOL)...so i saw him play in every game during that time.

TO being a serial whiner is well known and of course the media exacerbated it in their news reports for various reasons. But i will say i played WR in high school, so i think i understand the position at least a little bit, and TO made the greatest catch i've ever seen before or since. It wasn't great like it was a game winner or anything like that...just a deep thrown ball that in my opinion, no other receiver who ever lived could have caught, but TO caught it, and made it look easy.

"Everyone" gasps when seeing receivers make one handed catches, but actually they are not that difficult to make. In summer football practice when we were screwing around, i used to make one handed catches fairly easily. Of course if a coach saw you trying that during a game to show-off, you'd be benched quickly even if you caught it - LOL

TO's great catch was a two handed catch of which with him in full stride, the ball was underthrown, and somehow TO stopped his momentum enough to twist his body almost like a contortionist, reach back, and reach out with his arms straight, and catch the ball about a foot before the ball hit the ground. A catch that biology and physics would normally conclude is basically impossible for a human being to make, but TO made it.

So you're right about TO being a competitor. Plus his stats are ridiculously obvious first ballot Hall of Fame stats.

Anyone who doesn't have TO at least in the top five or ten receivers of all time, frankly, doesn't understand the game of professional football. I've got TO at #2 all time, behind Randy Moss.

• Options

@stevek Im absolutely shocked that I’m not the only one who ranks Moss and TO #1 & #2

• Options

@AFLfan said:
    I don't know a lot about Owens, but I was talking to a HOF voter once who said that he was an absolute cancer in the locker room for every team he played for. Supposedly when Owens was discussed in early voting meetings, this particular voter said that he was divisive with his teams and would be no different with the HOF, though he did not know why or how that would happen. Sure enough, the guy gets voted in and becomes the first inductee to ever voluntarily skip Induction Weekend and hold his own ceremony.

It didn’t suprise me at all, everything had to be difficult for him and turn something pretty basic like playing football into more of what it needed to be. I always think Chad Johnson tried to mimic TO but just wasn’t as good at any of it

• Options

There was a policy under Eagles head coach Andy Reid that in practice, all players must wear their regular team uniforms.

So during the off season, the Eagles sign Terrell Owens, and i would have to be sure that TO was told about the policy of practice only wearing uniforms. So what does TO do? You see it coming a mile away- LOL. First practice with the Eagles he shows up wearing a spandex type outfit with a jersey, and that was it. TO stated that he always practiced that way with his former team, the 49ers. Well Andy Reid, being a disciplinarian type of coach, was absolutely livid. Long story short, TO in his next practice was wearing the normal team uniform.

Now why would TO do that when he had to know it would hiss off Andy Reid? Well that's TO...but dam could he catch a football and help a team win games.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 30, 2020 3:20PM

All this TO talk. I barely mention him as a HOFer and absolutely forgot about him. Not that he doesn’t deserve all the talk good and bad. But I’d rather save my ink talking about Moss, Carter, Reed or Rice.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Speaking of TO and OT lol. https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2020/12/30/terrell-owens-eagles-donovan-mcnabb-drunk-before-super-bowl-xxxix/amp/

• Options

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@AFLfan said:
    Like Terrell Owens?

FACT

TO was with the Eagles for two seasons, actually sort of one and a half seasons (LOL)...so i saw him play in every game during that time.

TO being a serial whiner is well known and of course the media exacerbated it in their news reports for various reasons. But i will say i played WR in high school, so i think i understand the position at least a little bit, and TO made the greatest catch i've ever seen before or since. It wasn't great like it was a game winner or anything like that...just a deep thrown ball that in my opinion, no other receiver who ever lived could have caught, but TO caught it, and made it look easy.

"Everyone" gasps when seeing receivers make one handed catches, but actually they are not that difficult to make. In summer football practice when we were screwing around, i used to make one handed catches fairly easily. Of course if a coach saw you trying that during a game to show-off, you'd be benched quickly even if you caught it - LOL

TO's great catch was a two handed catch of which with him in full stride, the ball was underthrown, and somehow TO stopped his momentum enough to twist his body almost like a contortionist, reach back, and reach out with his arms straight, and catch the ball about a foot before the ball hit the ground. A catch that biology and physics would normally conclude is basically impossible for a human being to make, but TO made it.

So you're right about TO being a competitor. Plus his stats are ridiculously obvious first ballot Hall of Fame stats.

Anyone who doesn't have TO at least in the top five or ten receivers of all time, frankly, doesn't understand the game of professional football. I've got TO at #2 all time, behind Randy Moss.

Well, you had me until the very end with Moss, who I saw frequently "dog it" on the field. His first three years looked like he was going to be the greatest of all time, but something changed. He could have been a LOT better, A LOT BETTER!!!

Can you name another player who actually walked off the field before the end of a game?

I don't care much about off the field stuff, but you have to bring it on Sunday!

Speaking of playing HS football, I did too, and always hated lazy players. I played 100% up until the whistle, anyone that wouldn't didn't get my respect.

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@stevek said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@AFLfan said:
    Like Terrell Owens?

FACT

Well, you had me until the very end with Moss, who I saw frequently "dog it" on the field. His first three years looked like he was going to be the greatest of all time, but something changed. He could have been a LOT better, A LOT BETTER!!!

Can you name another player who actually walked off the field before the end of a game?

I don't care much about off the field stuff, but you have to bring it on Sunday!

Speaking of playing HS football, I did too, and always hated lazy players. I played 100% up until the whistle, anyone that wouldn't didn't get my respect.

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

I've got Jerry Rice at third if that makes the list a little bit better. ;)

The main reason I've got Moss at #1 is I've never seen anyone catch a football better than him.