Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Apparel - The Well-Dressed Numismatist

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 27, 2020 10:06AM in U.S. Coin Forum

What are some coin related clothing you've seen around?

Here's some I've seen:

• PCGS polo-shirt
  • Coin Rarities Online baseball cap
  • Anaconda hockey jersey
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    edited December 26, 2020 9:26PM

@messydesk said:
    There was also the case of EPN Pine Tree Shilling neck ties. Someone paid $576 for 42 ties in November 2018, but I've never seen anyone brave enough to wear one, though. Maybe the buyer took heed of the lot description that said they might be suitable for making curtains.

Thanks for reminding me of these!

I was lucky enough to get one from the buyer, someone who I've purchased from before.

I'll try to remember to wear it for my next coin gathering :)

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins

This is off topic, but I have to ask. Do you ever sleep? You seem to post all hours of the day and night. :D

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a fairground, a test your skills at throwing darts, I won a Quarter Flash (Rock Band) tee- shirt.
    It featured a US quarter.
    Only one thing though, I never heard of them.
    But the shirt was cool.
    FYI though. Any Image's of US currency must be signed off by the, Secret Service.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drink coffee, you can sleep when you're dead. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:
    Never wear coin garb. You dont want anyone to know you have coins. Also its better to have people think you are a coin nerd than wear a coin shirt and have all doubt removed

Yup. It's not a good idea to advertise to the world that you're a coin collector. You might as well wear a sign that says "ROB ME".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a PCGS shirt.... That is the only item I have.... I wear it - no one knows what it is. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a little off topic. How many here remember the ruckus the ANA caused in the late 90's when they were trying to push a suit + tie dress code on attending dealers?

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    This is a little off topic. How many here remember the ruckus the ANA caused in the late 90's when they were trying to push a suit + tie dress code on attending dealers?

I wonder if that's when the EPN Pine Tree Shilling ties were made?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's an interesting question!

@Zoins said:

@amwldcoin said:

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

Now that’s a juicy story I’d love to know about. New thread?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back when I was on the board last time I almost got a personalized license plate “PCGS-65”. Seemed cool at the time.

• Options

@TurtleCat said:
    Back when I was on the board last time I almost got a personalized license plate “PCGS-65”. Seemed cool at the time.

Do you have a photo? :)

• Options

@Catbert said:

@amwldcoin said:

Now that’s a juicy story I’d love to know about. New thread?

Good idea! It would be great to hear some opinions on that, both back then and now. Looking forward to the thread.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    There was also the case of EPN Pine Tree Shilling neck ties. Someone paid $576 for 42 ties in November 2018, but I've never seen anyone brave enough to wear one, though. Maybe the buyer took heed of the lot description that said they might be suitable for making curtains.

Oh hell, I want one of those now! :D

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@TurtleCat said:

Do you have a photo? :)

Almost got one. :)

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I saw a dealer in a suit & tie I'd think he was high priced. ;)

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

2020 Stay At Home

Sweatpants, Hoodie, and Slippers :)

• Options
    edited December 27, 2020 9:34AM

@MFeld said:

@amwldcoin said:

I remember it very well. In fact, just before the show, I took a picture of a dealer who was getting some expert advice regarding proper attire. Fortunately, I saved it, so can post it here.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/man-in-tuxedo-with-emperor-penguins-picture-id534296978?s=2048x2048

Here's someone they could have taken lessons from!

Benjamin Maximillian Mehl (1884-1957), was born on November 5, 1884 in the Jewish Quarter or ghetto of Lodz called Alstadt, Poland-Russia (modern Poland), son of Solomon Isaac Mehl (1849-1929) and Rachel Mehl (1846-1926). All of the Mehl family were native born Polish-Russians. As Polish Jews they were fluent in Russian, Hebrew and Yiddish, as well as all of their children. The surname Mehl is German, not Russian, and means "ground meal" or "flour" which seems to refer to a family involved in that business at an earlier time when families were given surnames based on their trade. Consequently, the Mehl family were part of the Jewish diaspora and traveled about as migrants seeking employment or a more stable Jewish community life. The Mehl family most probably left Germany during the pogroms from August to October 1819, known as the Hep-Hep riots.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@amwldcoin said:

Nope. 1957 for the CSNS convention.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s the matter with you fellas, no mustard jokes yet?

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

Picturing everyone dressing like Jules Karp with an ugly tie.

• Options

> @messydesk said:

@Zoins said:

@amwldcoin said:

Were any worn at the event?

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not exactly coin related but I only break out the silks for major shows and monster deals:

• Options

@Zoins said:
    > @messydesk said:

@Zoins said:

@amwldcoin said:

Were any worn at the event?

Dunno, I was still many years out from being a twinkle in my parents' eyes. They were supposedly sold as a fund raiser, so if any were sold, I imagine they may have been worn. They already had ketchup and mustard stain colors, so perhaps this was a thing back then, too. It's more likely that it's late 50s wallpaper adapted to a tie, though.

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

I still have my original Mercateer T-shirt somewhere.

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2020 5:52PM

@tokenpro said:
    Not exactly coin related but I only break out the silks for major shows and monster deals:

You have got to wear this to the FUN show if you ever go.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already have. B)

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2020 7:29PM

Mustard Chic

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    What’s the matter with you fellas, no mustard jokes yet?

Before I opened this thread, I guessed that it would take three responses before mustard stains were mentioned. On a quick count, yours was #24. This forum is going downhill fast. :'(

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:

You win

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:

If you were at the right coin show (I forget which one), Mark Borckardt of Heritage was distributing these ties on the bourse floor. I sometimes wear mine to the New York Numismatic Club meeting.

I pulled these out of the Newman basement before HA sold them. I believe the box pictured here was the original container. The lot consisted of many neck ties (I never counted them) and a small number (4 or 5) of bow ties, which of course was a Newman sartorial signature. I've seen none of the bow ties since.

As I recall, the neck & bow ties were made from remainders of curtains that were sewn for the Newman residence. There were a couple numismatic hints in the residence, including wallpaper in the powder room printed from covers of the first edition of Early Paper Money of America.

• Options

@Coinosaurus said:

@messydesk said:

If you were at the right coin show (I forget which one), Mark Borckardt of Heritage was distributing these ties on the bourse floor. I sometimes wear mine to the New York Numismatic Club meeting.

I pulled these out of the Newman basement before HA sold them. I believe the box pictured here was the original container. The lot consisted of many neck ties (I never counted them) and a small number (4 or 5) of bow ties, which of course was a Newman sartorial signature. I've seen none of the bow ties since.

As I recall, the neck & bow ties were made from remainders of curtains that were sewn for the Newman residence. There were a couple numismatic hints in the residence, including wallpaper in the powder room printed from covers of the first edition of Early Paper Money of America.

Wow! Thanks for posting this. This adds to the interesting provenance for my tie :):+1:

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2020 1:43PM

If the ANA starts requiring ties as part of a dress code, here are some options.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the image, seems Expert advise could have been sought in connection with shoes, whether to sport a top hat or how to hold a martini glass... I suppose drinking attire may warrant a thread of it's own.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file