Home U.S. Coin Forum

1990 "No S" proof set, the cent is NOT a proof! Please report!

mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 26, 2020 7:47AM in U.S. Coin Forum

The Lincoln cent in this proof set is clearly not a proof. It has luster, not mirrors, and no frost whatsoever. Seller is trying to pull a fast one!
https://ebay.com/itm/1990-NO-S-Lincoln-Penny-Proof-Set-OGP-US-Mint-VERY-RARE/393070555933?hash=item5b84d4b31d:g:NzIAAOSwy11f5rMS

Pic for posterity

Comments

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s the best way to report it?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a scam to me.....Thanks for the link (still up) and the picture..... Cheers, RickO

Based on his asking prices for common wheat cents, I’m not optimistic about getting through to the seller, but I tried, anyway.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Use the Report Item link, then follow the dropdowns for counterfeit items. I know, its not technically a fake, but it's the best option as it gives you the box for a short description.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

They needed to polish the cent more to give it better mirrors, LOL!

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported. That one is egregious. It also reminds us that these sets are not sonically sealed.

@mbogoman said:

@MFeld said:

Use the Report Item link, then follow the dropdowns for counterfeit items. I know, its not technically a fake, but it's the best option as it gives you the box for a short description.

Thanks and done.

• CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

Good catch. Reported.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported

Young Numismatist/collector
    70 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 42 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sent seller a msg.......in the mean time here is one I snagged off ebay a couple of years ago. Kept as a reminder that these are out there. (I did get a full refund from seller after I explained it was not a proof and how I knew).
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported.

Just got this response back from the seller.

"Thank you, someone else told me as well! I didn’t know"

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reported.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller ended listing. Great job guys.

Young Numismatist/collector
    70 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 42 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

got a note back: Thank you so so much!! I actually pulled these out of my Fathers attic. I have a ton of coins and a few other mint sets so I’ll definitely take them down. He must’ve gotten screwed lol! Thank you!!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • goldengolden Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job guys!

@MFeld said:
    The seller also replied to me and said - I’m putting this mildly - he’d received some extremely rude messages. If anyone here did that, please stop.
    And keep in mind, not all sellers with such listings are dishonest/scammers, etc. Over the years, in addition to making a very large number of reports to EBay, I’ve often messaged the sellers. And in many instances, it turned out that they were honest, thankful and ended their listings.

I got the same message from the seller about rude messages.
    I was not rude with them and they were not rude with me.
    There is no need to be rude with a seller that is not being rude to you.

I have often messaged sellers too and not all are dishonest and sometimes will even thank you as you mentioned.
    After my communications with this seller I'm not convinced they are that honest.

I guess I'm somewhat of a chicken - I usually don't even send a message to the seller because I have had bad retaliations in the past. I just send my opinion to Ebay and let them settle it - oh, and in some cases, I post here when I think it's prudent. In any case, we got the job done on this one and it sounds like the seller understands. Hopefully it won't pop up again in a week or two...

@mbogoman said:
    I guess I'm somewhat of a chicken - I usually don't even send a message to the seller because I have had bad retaliations in the past. I just send my opinion to Ebay and let them settle it - oh, and in some cases, I post here when I think it's prudent. In any case, we got the job done on this one and it sounds like the seller understands. Hopefully it won't pop up again in a week or two...

I’m not trying to change your mind about contacting sellers, but I’m curious as to what type of bad retaliations you’ve encountered? Were you speaking of problems from them on items you had listed for sale on EBay? I’ve had sellers call me names, but it’s not like they know who I am. I might have a different attitude if I sold on EBay, but I don’t.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    They needed to polish the cent more to give it better mirrors, LOL!

@MFeld said:

@mbogoman said:

I’m not trying to change your mind about contacting sellers, but I’m curious as to what type of bad retaliations you’ve encountered? Were you speaking of problems from them on items you had listed for sale on EBay? I’ve had sellers call me names, but it’s not like they know who I am. I might have a different attitude if I sold on EBay, but I don’t.

Exactly. One guy actually bought a coin from me, then called it a fake when he received it, negged me, and wanted a refund and to keep the coin. Because he called it a fake, it took a little bit of back and forth with Ebay to get things straightened out. In the end, I got the coin back, I refunded him and got his neg removed, but it was a long, drawn out hassle.

Sometimes you can tell from the description whether or not the seller knows what he (or she) is doing. If it seems like a genuine clueless, but honest seller (I even look back into feedback to garner as much info as I can), I will send them a friendly "heads up". I've been on Ebay since 98, so I've got a little experience.

On the above case I erred on the side of caution. Why? I felt that a 1990 "no S" was not something that a novice or inexperienced person would even know anything about. Somebody knew exactly what they were doing when they put that business strike 1990 Philly Lincoln into that set. Was it the seller? I don't know, but that's what I assumed.

BTW - the coin that the guy called fake was in a PCGS slab. I ended up pointing out the auction records for Ebay and they sided with me.

@mbogoman said:

@MFeld said:

@mbogoman said:

Exactly. One guy actually bought a coin from me, then called it a fake when he received it, negged me, and wanted a refund and to keep the coin. Because he called it a fake, it took a little bit of back and forth with Ebay to get things straightened out. In the end, I got the coin back, I refunded him and got his neg removed, but it was a long, drawn out hassle.

Sometimes you can tell from the description whether or not the seller knows what he (or she) is doing. If it seems like a genuine clueless, but honest seller (I even look back into feedback to garner as much info as I can), I will send them a friendly "heads up". I've been on Ebay since 98, so I've got a little experience.

On the above case I erred on the side of caution. Why? I felt that a 1990 "no S" was not something that a novice or inexperienced person would even know anything about. Somebody knew exactly what they were doing when they put that business strike 1990 Philly Lincoln into that set. Was it the seller? I don't know, but that's what I assumed.

Thanks and sorry you experienced that.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    Reported. That one is egregious. It also reminds us that these sets are not sonically sealed.

Man..............that replaced coin isn't even close.

I'd arrest the seller for fraud.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file