Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1874 no arrows seated dime

jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

    United States of Americu?

    Mr_Spud

  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

    In the antiques world, I think the word is "charming". :-)

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jonathanb said:
    In the antiques world, I think the word is "charming". :-)

    It's so bad, it's actually kind of fun.

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2020 8:20PM

    An old counterfeit that was probably made back when the real thing was in circulation. It had to have had a silver wash when it was new.

    It looks like Ms. Liberty is sneering at you if you take her as a dime in trade.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wow... for an old fake, it sure has seen a lot of use/abuse....Cheers, RickO

  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

    AmerIOU

  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'd love to have this piece in my fake collection. Little disappointed that the maker didn't put some arrows on it and a "cc" mintmark,however.

  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 34,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Drizzt said:
    AmerIOU

    That may have been deliberate, in case he got caught trying to pass one he could say he was just giving an IOU. Not sure you could ever prove it, though.

    Professional Numismatist, Retired. 55 year member ANA. Former ANA Senior Authenticator. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and ANA Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner of the PNG's 2026 Robert Friedberg Award for "The Enigmatic Lincoln Cents of 1922," Available now from Whitman or Amazon.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @mr1874 said:
    I'd love to have this piece in my fake collection. Little disappointed that the maker didn't put some arrows on it and a "cc" mintmark,however.

    I have a contemporary counterfeit that's brassy-looking like the 1874 above. Dated 1872-CC.

  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is a great contemporary counterfeit, in my eyes the lack of workmanship gives it a lot of charm.

    Sean Reynolds

    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

    "Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Great contemporary counterfeit. Interesting about the IOU.

  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Awesome and collectible contemporary counterfeit. The silvering that was on it has long since worn off...

    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Neat

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file