Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ready for some Cop Coins?

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a mouthful, for next years commemoratives the National Law Enforcement Memorial and Museum Commemorative Coin Program...the "Cop Coins" ! Gold and silver. You have the right to remain silent. Coming soon, keep your hands up.

Comments

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too. Especially the one with the badge! 🙂

Ken
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    All coins matter

That would make a great T-Shirt!!!!

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where's the one with the guy flopping around at the end of the taser leads?

I sure hope the designs are better than those sketches. 7 different offerings and it looks like there will be more than enough minted to go around! I'll have to pick up a set.

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Weak. Wasted opportunity to do something cool.

• ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭✭

They could have come up with much better designs.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    All coins matter

Racist.

This comment was made as pure sarcasm.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 10:19PM

See those fingers sticking out of the people's heads? Like the lady is playing peek-a-boo?

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 9:45PM

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

The shield side looks great, but the other two designs look like the usual garbage clip art that the mint has been using recently.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please Enlarge , I can lend you my camera.
    FYI

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t we already commemorate this in 1997?! 😵

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant ... That is her hand... they are saluting.
    I have the '97 commemorative... MS70 if I recall. Certainly a worthy profession. I will likely get some. I will get a couple as gifts to my friends on the force. Cheers, RickO

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

That is so poorly done.....the viewing angle on those hands/salutes.....so many other ways to do it so the hands don’t look so odd......😆

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020 12:16PM

Man I would love to be a fly on the wall as the gov PM instructed the team how to tip toe around and compromise for the current national conversations about the subject matter.

The designs reek of overly politically correct placating and not art or the type of memorial that will really resonate with cops. So if no one is happy, what’s the point?

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass!

@CoinHoarder said:
    Pass!

I completely agree with you on this one. Fast Pass.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already support local law enforcement by contributing directly.
    I don't like the designs of these coins and will pass - on all of them.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    Man I would love to be a fly on the wall as the gov PM instructed the team how to tip toe around and compromise for the current national conversations about the subject matter.

The designs reek of overly politically correct placating and not art or the type of memorial that will really resonate with cops. So if no one is happy, what’s the point?

Just out of curiosity, what would you like to see on the coin?

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a retired old white LEO this coin does not do it for me at all.

Vplite99

"National Law Enforcement Memorial and Museum Commemorative Coin". With this title I would expect a theme like what was already done in 1997. Other than maybe the star design, what do the above designs have to do with "Memorial and Museum"? The saluting officers? what are they saluting?

These attempts at making a PC coin have resulted in a design that has little to do with reality. For a "Cop" coin how about a simple marked Crown Vic with a uniformed officer standing next to it? Or a simple badge and motto? I like the ole trooper mottos of Honor, Loyalty, Courage, Integrity. Not fluff like "liberty"... where did liberty even come from, isn't that a constitution thing. Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness...

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SeattleSlammer said:

@Onastone said:

That is so poorly done.....the viewing angle on those hands/salutes.....so many other ways to do it so the hands don’t look so odd......😆

100% agree! Garbage

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I may, while were on this thought, or subject.
    The lights, when on sight of call, or in route.
    Does anyone find this offensive to your sight and how long does it take to recover your senses?
    Me, tone it down a bit.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@JoeLewis said:

@Crypto said:

I don’t think it is an appropriate time to honor the police. I rather they cancel/delay then stoke the flames.

Personally since you asked. When they do come out I would like “serve & protect” highlighted more. Seems like a sizable percentage of officers have lost sight of the ethos and it has drifted to “this we will defend” which is inherently more confrontational.

Swing and a miss

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

edited December 27, 2020 7:22AM

I don’t have any problem with beating the crap out of criminals or people who don’t know how to behave around cops. I just think we should draw the line with maybe not killing so many of them before trial. And when youre trigger happy, the number of mistakes (which mean unarmed and innocent) goes up which I have very little tolerance for.

I am not defund the police or anti cop, I just believe in the sanctity of the oath that public officials take and if your job is to lay it on the line to protect us. That is why I get confused when the numbers of civilian shot is majorly out of balance with cops shot. Body counts don’t lie. Intent and Circumstance can be spun. Let’s take the shooting out of policing, this isn’t the Wild West.

I have been down range many times and I get “make it home by any means” better than most of you. My point is simply that type of response is completely inappropriate when dealing with civilians you are sworn to protect.

edited December 27, 2020 7:56AM

@Crypto said:
    I don’t have any problem with beating the crap out of criminals or people who don’t know how to behave around cops. I just think we should draw the line with maybe not killing so many of them before trial. And when youre trigger happy, the number of mistakes (which mean unarmed and innocent) goes up which I have very little tolerance for.

I am not defund the police or anti cop, I just believe in the sanctity of the oath that public officials take and if your job is to lay it on the line to protect us. That is why I get confused when the numbers of civilian shot is majorly out of balance with cops shot. Body counts don’t lie. Intent and Circumstance can be spun. Let’s take the shooting out of policing, this isn’t the Wild West.

I have been down range many times and I get “make it home by any means” better than most of you. My point is simply that type of response is completely inappropriate when dealing with civilians you are sworn to protect.

Don't believe everything the media tells you to.

edited December 27, 2020 9:29AM

@ms70 said:

@Crypto said:

As if your opinions aren’t influenced by some sort of media :/ . Body counts don’t lie

There are only two sides to my case.

1-We have too many civilians getting shot and we should do something about it. Starting with the professionals doing the shooting seems like a decent place to start.

Or

2- Circumstances show we have just the right number of civilians getting shot and no adjustment is needed.

If you gravitate towards number 2 you need to look into your soul.

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@JoeLewis said:

@Crypto said:

I don’t think it is an appropriate time to honor the police. I rather they cancel/delay then stoke the flames.

Personally since you asked. When they do come out I would like “serve & protect” highlighted more. Seems like a sizable percentage of officers have lost sight of the ethos and it has drifted to “this we will defend” which is inherently more confrontational.

Let's be honest here, a lot of coin collectors are conservative and this is a commemorative that will sell. We've had Carter Glass on the 1936 Lynchburg Half Dollar and he's the most politically incorrect person you can put on a coin...

edited December 27, 2020 9:40AM

@olympicsos said:

I agree with you that collectors are inherently conservative but that the iconography was decidedly muted and liberal which was my original point. These coins aren’t going to make many happy

edited December 27, 2020 9:51AM

@Crypto said:

@olympicsos said:

I agree with you that collectors are inherently conservative but that the iconography was decidedly muted and liberal which was my original point. These coins aren’t going to make many happy

I'm not surprised the coins are muted, most artists aren't conservative and are well aware of the current political climate and designing a well loved cop coin may not bode well for their non-mint work.

@olympicsos said:

@Crypto said:

@olympicsos said:

I'm not surprised the coins are muted, most artists aren't conservative and are well aware of the current political climate and designing a well loved cop coin may not bode well for their non-mint work.

I am familiar with government bureaucracies. I doubt the artists had much freedom and it was more a design by committee with more input by division chiefs than artists

@Crypto said:

@olympicsos said:

@Crypto said:

@olympicsos said:

I am familiar with government bureaucracies. I doubt the artists had much freedom and it was more a design by committee with more input by division chiefs than artists

Even if the artists had a lot of freedom, wouldn't they catch a lot of flack if they made a mistake?

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it’s a 3 coin set it would be nice to have that badge on all three. Simple great design like the US Marshals gold badge

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

First glance, the hand/fingers look like a wing coming from side of head.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
    edited December 27, 2020 12:36PM

@Crypto said:

@ms70 said:

@Crypto said:

As if your opinions aren’t influenced by some sort of media :/ . Body counts don’t lie

There are only two sides to my case.

1-We have too many civilians getting shot and we should do something about it. Starting with the professionals doing the shooting seems like a decent place to start.

Or

2- Circumstances show we have just the right number of civilians getting shot and no adjustment is needed.

If you gravitate towards number 2 you need to look into your soul.

Hypnotized. LOL...

Anyway, my choice for a circulating quarter reverse:

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure about the cop coins but I’d sure like to see the show Cops back on television. I don’t understand why they just HAD to remove it.
    I do like and respect police officers and I like that badge coin too so I might add one to my collection.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • RedStormRedStorm Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

At first glance, to me the cop in the foreground on the two profile coin looked like William Shatner of T.J. Hooker fame! :D

edited December 27, 2020 12:46PM

@crazyhounddog said:
    Not sure about the cop coins but I’d sure like to see the show Cops back on television. I don’t understand why they just HAD to remove it.
    I do like and respect police officers and I like that badge coin too so I might add one to my collection.

I just noticed the lower ribbon with the date is a bit high and covering the bottom points of the star. It's not aligned the same as the top ribbon with LIBERTY. I guess if the lower one was moved down it would cover too much of that little leaf like the top one does. I'm sure they'd tweak it if it were to be used.

Designs are everything. Did they really have to sneak another basketball onto a coin? And not sure I like the cop on his knee...I would have preferred a badge with an Eagle worked onto it somehow. Perhaps two cops standing tall with a salute...close up of a police hat...maybe the words Law & Order...

edited January 27, 2021 4:45AM

These go on sale tomorrow, but for some strange reason all the images are gone??
    Will there be a surprise change? How unusual.

At least the Christa McAuliffe dollars have an image for tomorrow.

• raysrays Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be interesting to get Coincop's take on this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file