Home U.S. Coin Forum

Old PCGS holder

RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 23, 2020 9:33PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I truly miss the old green or blue PCGS holder. The old holder with the round center ring which seems to nicely hold the coin at dead center and also enhances the holder's artistic look. The new 3 prongs type holder doesn't look pretty especially for the small coins such as $2.5 half eagle, $5 eagle, cent, and nickel.

I also wish ANACS' small white smooth/compact beautiful holder is still being used today. Don't know why ANACS decided to transition to the see through/clear plastic type holder similar to PCGS's. It gives collector (such as myself) an impression of an imitation. If I were the big boss at ANACS, I would have shot down the idea of changing the holder in the first place. :smile:

https://www.aucm.com/1926-2-50-indian-head-pcgs-ms61-72244060.html

https://www.aucm.com/catalog/product/view/id/3075/s/1890-cc-5-liberty-head-half-eagle-pcgs-ms64-80288976/category/15/

Comments

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pronged holders are not good.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they start the pronged holders because they started lettering the edges of the new dollars?

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:
    Did they start the pronged holders because they started lettering the edges of the new dollars?

Probably started (at least in part) to facilitate viewing lettered edges of all vintages. IIRC, NGC actually introduced prongs first, and PCGS may have felt pressure to follow suit. For reeded edge coins, I much prefer the solid gasket.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of the prong holders either.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go back old school get rid of the prongs IMHO

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do prefer the non-prong holders - just far more aesthetically pleasing. Cheers, RickO

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was under the impression ANACS was forced to switch thanks to change in ownership.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too like the solid gaskets...

• RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone imagine this 1853 California Fractional Gold 25c in a 3-prong holder?

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2020 12:20PM

What are you folks putting in your wassail?

As soon as I get a rattler/OGH, that sucker is in a box and headed to CA.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

>

As soon as I get a rattler/OGH, that sucker is in a box and headed to CA.

Why? Old slabs are neat and the coins in them aren't always undergraded.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the new PCGS holders. They seem to be more scratch resistant and rattle around in the box less. I did not like the prongs initially but I've gotten used to them.

I do prefer the old small ANACS holders to their newer version though.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the pronged holders for larger coins, especially with edge detail or lettering. For very small coins and coins with plain or reeded edges, I’d rather have the old gasket style.

• Inspired70Inspired70 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Initially I disliked the prong holder. I later changed my mind.

The old pre-prong holders concealed the entire rim of the coin. The current prong holder reveals much more.

There will be more changes down the road, I'm sure. But as much as I like older holders the new style is much better for viewing the entire coin.
    Lance.

That is a stunning 1811! We share similar taste in early Bust Halfs.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Older small ANACS holders are the best, bar none!

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rarity said:

I really have to go against the grain here. :/ I do like the newer holders versus the older ones :) . One reason is shown here with the damaged hologram on the $5.00 liberty head. I purchase the whole package and if I am spending $14,500+ for this coin, I do not want any dents, scratches or missing parts. The coin is drop dead gorgeous but when I look at the reverse of the coin, my eyes immediately go to the damaged hologram and not the coin. Does any one know why the 360 degree ring was replaced with the prongs. The only reasons that I can come up with is for coins with edge lettering and cost reduction in materials.

Kennedys are my quest...

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2020 11:51AM

@WAYNEAS said:
    Does any one know why the 360 degree ring was replaced with the prongs. The only reasons that I can come up with is for coins with edge lettering and cost reduction in materials.

i am pretty sure its for seeing the edge...and the reduction in materials is a bonus.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I’d be very concerned about any holder showing a $2.50 Indian on the obverse and a $5 Liberty on the reverse.😉

???

thefinn
  • 59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@MFeld said:
    I’d be very concerned about any holder showing a $2.50 Indian on the obverse and a $5 Liberty on the reverse.😉

???

Click the auction house link below the OP's image.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

@MFeld said:

???

Originally, the picture of the $2.50 Indian obverse was matched with one of a $5 Liberty reverse. It’s since been edited/corrected.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@thefinn said:

@MFeld said:

???

Originally, the picture of the $2.50 Indian obverse was matched with one of a $5 Liberty reverse. It’s since been edited/corrected.

Yes, MFeld was the first to point out the mismatch in the picture due to my mistake :smile:

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

It would be a fun mule if genuine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file