Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What stands out and what will you remember about the Covid era? Coins only please!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 15, 2020 10:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Given that we've been dealing with Covid-19 for most of the year and the vaccine is rolling out, I was wondering what did people not enjoy and enjoy (or not enjoy less) about our hobby during Covid.

On the nice side of things:

• I'm glad that eBay, Stack's, Heritage, GC and others have been working on their online presences for years and it continued to work smoothly.
  • Having the ANS and coin clubs conduct their meetings online is really nice

On the down side of things:

• Fewer dealer stories of participating in auctions
  • Less ability to visit coin friends
  • Missed out on the V75 gold

From a collecting perspective, it's still be a pretty productive year from the start to finish.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

at its heart, this is a good thread idea, but posting it was a bad choice with too much negative potential.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

From our coin collecting perspective, the largest effect I have experienced, is the lack of show reports. I was already show deprived due to my location. I have still acquired coins through the internet, friends and pocket change. So, acquisition has not suffered, but information-wise, I have less than pre-covid. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ambro51 said:
    My abject and unrelenting boredom caused me to starting posting to this zoo again.

Haha! I've enjoyed having you back and have wondered what may have led to that.

Add that to another plus for me! :)

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thread title may should have mentioned coins, because as soon as any subject other than coins pops up, this could turn real ugly real fast.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will remember that ALL Government is corrupt....

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

@Smudge said:
    Thread title may should have mentioned coins, because as soon as any subject other than coins pops up, this could turn real ugly real fast.

Hopefully that should be self-evident given we are on a coin forum and have been instructed by our hosts to stay on topic.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

The existence of forums like this one have kept interest in the hobby at a high level.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing that can or should be shared here.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

In regards to coins the mail lady just drops off my new coins and doesn’t require a signature. Works out better for me cause I don’t have to make a trip to the post office to pick them up if I’m not in.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Smudge said:

Hopefully that should be self-evident given we are on a coin forum and have been instructed by our hosts to stay on topic.

True, but if past experience is any indicator that may not be the case.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldUScoins said:
    In regards to coins the mail lady just drops off my new coins and doesn’t require a signature. Works out better for me cause I don’t have to make a trip to the post office to pick them up if I’m not in.

until it doesn't ...

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just how many people are willing to suspend logic and facts because of fear and ignorance while so many other people are cowards and hypocrites when they do use the facts. While that plays out it is also startling how thin/ 1 layer deep many things in society are be it law & order or the supply chain.

• Options

@Smudge said:

@Zoins said:

@Smudge said:

True, but if past experience is any indicator that may not be the case.

Duly noted. Title has been updated.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, personally, COVID-19 made me realize how many of my coin purchases have been done online in the past, and therefore, it didn't affect my collecting as much as I thought it would. I miss the shows, but I will live without them for a while longer.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two coin-related "standouts" from the pandemic:
    1. I realized how much fun our monthly coin club meeting was when we met in person, with Zoom meetings serving as a weak substitute.
    2. I recognized how challenging it has been for the dealers I follow to have fresh material available.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

Takes twice as long to get half as much quality material is what I have been told by one dealer.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin shortage.

Roll searching and other volume-based projects a total washout this year.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion related material volatility. Probably coincidental high value and numismatic-significant auction lots.

Circulating coin shortages at the bank branches. Shipping angst. You name it, we've seen it this year....good riddance 2020.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss the coin show with some of the travel. The good thing is it won't hopefully last to much longer

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

The shop I work at remained open the whole time essential business, financial institution in NC and indeed during the shut down in spring, it was slow, but since then, a lot of interesting stuff has come into the shop. It's been an interesting year no doubt!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

This piece is the perfect souvenir of the pandemic:

And this:

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've strengthened my collection this year and bought a couple of coins from some great members here. Hobbywise, it's been a good year!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoyed seeing silver go up so I could unload most of my bulk silver. I did not enjoy gold going up because it interfered with my gold acquisitions.

I enjoyed the early days when there was less competition in DLRC auctions and I picked up some nice pieces at good prices. I have not enjoyed seeing more and more buy only options on eBay where the price is retail or higher.

I did not enjoy the coin shortage situation but I did enjoy that it saved me from going into CRH as a side hobby. It’s fun but I don’t have the time for it.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Smudge said:

well you better edit again Zoins cuz you are sending everyone over to the cointalk forum now :#

Hmmmmmm ..........I haven't logged in over there in a year! I should go check the place out

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Zoins said:

@Smudge said:

well you better edit again Zoins cuz you are sending everyone over to the cointalk forum now :#

Hmmmmmm ..........I haven't logged in over there in a year! I should go check the place out

Haha. I've never logged in there but I do lurk on occasion. Some good posters and threads there.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2020 10:05AM

...not a good sign...or is it?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero coin shows for me. That’s going to end soon I hope. I’m chewing at the bit to attend a coin show.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I’m chewing at the bit to attend a coin show.

Don't chew on the bit.....we will have to float your teeth. :D

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's the year of less traffic. We should keep up the good work.

• Options
    MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back to back mint fiascos, I applied to the new administration to be the new Director of the Mint. Fingers crossed😁

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2020 12:55PM

Neither good nor bad: The best deals and coins I've gotten this year have been from dealers. This is the first year I've been able to say that. Auction prices are high and the material isn't there to back it up in the area I collect. I really hope next year is like this too. I've found this new paradigm to be a little more pleasant.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss hand picking “junk” silver at my LCS. Although it is open, I will not go there until the danger has passed.

I also miss going to my small monthly coin show, which has been canceled. Again, I would not go right now anyway, even if I could.

When things get back to normal, I look forward to resuming these hobby activities.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Working from home and kids' sports being cancelled has freed up a bunch of time to look at coins, and given me the opportunity to do it with my kids. I've won some auctions online and some offers on the Bay.
    I've also learned how to squeeze in coin time and should be able to maintain it (to a lesser degree) when I'm back coaching my kids again.
    It's the first year in a long time that I haven't visited a single coin shop since I haven't been traveling to Phoenix/Albuquerque/Oklahoma City. I hope that can change in the spring. Maybe even catch a show!

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me, the standout been the lack of shows (with good reason), was glad to be able to attend FUN back in January 2020 and just recently a small local show to bookend the year (I created a thread for the local show on Sunday). This is also the year my 20+ year streak of going to Vegas is broken; I would always try to make at least one or two member shows.

That being said my online purchases have been pretty steady, thanks to various dealers, auctions and Instagram. That took a dip over the past month due to my 30 year-old central AC/heater finally giving out, but at least the replacement should use far less energy.

Looking forward to a gradually improving 2021 and maybe restarting my Vegas streak!

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

I joined collectors forum because of baseball cards (cardboard for paper dollars and vice versa). Due to staying at home and wife working from home sort of pointed me to here. I have been in and out of coin interest the last 45 years. Nothing exotic, just a modest collection that needs to be organized. Lots of good advice here and enjoy reading opinions. Enjoyed going through the box of halves, no silver but lots of NIFC coins. Best of the bunch a 1987 D. Cheers.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I discovered Arabic, Islamic, and Mughal coins.

Abbasid Dinar Harun al-Rashid Baghdad AD 802 (AH 186)
    Gold, 18.5 mm, 4.02 gm
    Mint: Not named but Madinat Al Salam "City of Peace" (Baghdad)
    Caliph Harun al-Rashid (AD 786-809) was the caliph of the "Arabian Nights" or "One Thousand and One Nights".

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Possibly due to the "alleged coin shortage", I have been impressed with the number of pre-1964 silver coins found in pocket change this year.

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

That prices are to the moon on G.C and Ebay!!

• Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

That I almost died from it!

ED
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned even better how I don't trust most images online for evaluating surfaces and hairlines on coins. Many nice-ish coins I just would not pull the trigger on because of the image. Normally I do alot of buying in hand at shows so I really did try to increase my search online to find things. But again, images just aren't enough in most cases to entice me to buy.

So went with mostly heavy patina (original-ish) and CAC stickers (have trust in JA for surfaces), VF30 to AU58, which all worked out fine. I have bought 13 US coins since the pandemic hit, 12 were CAC. The one that was not is below but I am pretty confident it will bean if I were to send it in. I have bought from this dealer before, know he likes Barbers that I like and can trust his images.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭

@Edscoin said:
    That I almost died from it!

Sorry to hear you had it rough but sure glad you pulled through it.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not being able to CRH since March. Sucks butt.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Not being able to CRH since March. Sucks butt.

Are we supposed to know what CRH is?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file