Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grande Dame of Numismatics Catherine Elias Bullowa-Moore (1919-2017)

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 29, 2021 5:05AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone here know Catherine Elias Bullowa or have pieces from her?

What was she known for, coin wise? Did she collect herself?

She was a PNG Founding Member and in the PCGS Dealer Hall of Fame.

Catherine Bullowa-Moore (1919-2017) Dealer career 1953-2017. HOF: 2020. Catherine was involved in the coin business in the late 1940s before marrying dealer David Marks Bullowa in 1952. After David’s untimely passing in 1953, Catherine decided to keep operating the couple’s Philadelphia coin business and became an expert dealer by teaching herself all aspects of the numismatic hobby. A founding member of the Professional Numismatists Guild in 1954 and appointed by President Lyndon B. Johnson to the United States Assay Commission in 1965, Catherine was an active coin dealer dedicated to advocacy of the hobby until her passing at the age of 97 years old in 2017.

Over the years, she changed her name due to marriage. Her obituary lists her name as Catherine B. Moore (nee Elias). It seems "B" would stand for Bullowa. It then makes that here eearlier middle initial, E, would be her maiden name Elias.

Obituary: https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/catherine-moore-obituary?pid=185407800

1832 Philadelphia Civic Procession Medal. Original. Musante GW-130, Baker-160. Silver. Plain edge. PCGS MS64 POP 3/1/0 - Ex-Bullowa-E. Pluribus Unum

I picked up this one in the E. Pluribus Unum Collection sale this year. This is one of less than 10 known original Washington Civic Procession pieces struck in silver and last sold 36 years ago in 1984. It's a PCGS POP 3/1/0 and NGC only has 1 in the census at NGC AU53 along with a F12 and VF Details, all via Heritage. It came with the flip saying the following.

LOT #95

COINHUNTER
C. E. BULLOWA

AUCTION
SEPT. 19, 1984
NEW YORK, N.Y.

Comments

• Options
    truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

I had numerous conversations over the years. Even bought a couple coins and learned later that a number I owned were listed in her late husbands auctions. She was quite a dealer and new her stuff.

• Options
    edited December 13, 2020 9:23PM

I just ran across the following again.

A part of her private collection - comprising 20,000 world coins, banknotes, and medals - is now in the Washington National Museum of American History, which belongs to the Smithsonian.

The NNC is part of the National Museum of American History.

https://coinsweekly.com/icon-of-american-numismatics-passed-away/

• Options

@trueblood said:
    I had numerous conversations over the years. Even bought a couple coins and learned later that a number I owned were listed in her late husbands auctions. She was quite a dealer and new her stuff.

Would love to see some of the pieces you have! :+1:

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks honest.

• Options

Great coins and tokens @BillJones!

It's nice to see and hear the history on these coins :+1:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly a pillar of numismatics in her time, and her legacy continues in collections with attribution. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to see the large cent in hand before I agree with you Bill

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember going to her office/shop in Philly about 2001 -2002. I really did not know just who I was talking to, but she was very gracious to me and my son and had some fabulous large cents .

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

@WaterSport said:
    I remember going to her office/shop in Philly about 2001 -2002. I really did not know just who I was talking to, but she was very gracious to me and my son and had some fabulous large cents .

WS

Great to hear those stories!

Wish I was able to visit when I was in Philadelphia.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I would have to see the large cent in hand before I agree with you Bill

I think that is probably just a flat strike on the obverse which is why it went AU-50

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

While the strike is flat, there is a significant die break on the obverse which likely accounts for some weakness. In looking at the image and observing the quality of the cheek and fields, an argument can be made that NGC got it right which was basically my point.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2020 5:58PM

@BillJones said:
    Here is the last one I still have in my collection. It is an 1800 "LIKERTY" half dime.

I think you meant 1800 "LIBEKTY".
    (vs. 1796 "LIKERTY")
    A very cool coin, in any die state.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are right, “LIBEKTY.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@coinkat said:
    While the strike is flat, there is a significant die break on the obverse which likely accounts for some weakness. In looking at the image and observing the quality of the cheek and fields, an argument can be made that NGC got it right which was basically my point.

It’s not a die break; it’s a large planchet defect. These S-11 Wreath Cents and the 1793 C-4 half cents were made at about the same time in the late summer of 1793. The copper that went into them was really bad, and lamentations are not unusual. Thank goodness this coin held together.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@coinkat said:

It’s not a die break; it’s a large planchet defect. These S-11 Wreath Cents and the 1793 C-4 half cents were made at about the same time in the late summer of 1793. The copper that went into them was really bad, and lamentations are not unusual. Thank goodness this coin held together.

...so far. ;)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall meeting her at shows, but did not know her well. She had a very large impact on our hobby.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

That MS-66, 1795 dollar was probably the reason why Catherine Bullowa stayed in business until her death. The auction in which it appeared was to be her last, marking her retirement. After it sold for $1 million, she changed her mind.

• Options
    edited February 22, 2023 6:55AM

@BillJones said:
    That MS-66, 1795 dollar was probably the reason why Catherine Bullowa stayed in business until her death. The auction in which it appeared was to be her last, marking her retirement. After it sold for $1 million, she changed her mind.

This coin has a wonderful history with her. It's great that she sold it herself.

She sold it in 2005 so she stayed in the hobby for over a decade afterwards.

Here's the provenance:

• Catherine Bullowa Collection, by purchase, 1965
    • Catherine Bullowa's (Coinhunter) sale of December 2005, lot 393
    • D. Brent Pogue Collection Sale, Part II, September 30th, 2015
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one gorgeous Flowing Hair dollar! The best I've ever seen.

Never met Ms. Bullowa, but she seemed like such a sweetheart. All class

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

My avatar coin was purchased from Ms. Bullowa by Benson in the late 40s. Probably before her husband passed away. The coin was subsequently sold at the Benson sale by Goldbergs in 2002 or so. The coin ended up with Kirk Gorman. His coins were then sold which is where I purchased it.

jom

• Options

@jom said:
    My avatar coin was purchased from Ms. Bullowa by Benson in the late 40s. Probably before her husband passed away. The coin was subsequently sold at the Benson sale by Goldbergs in 2002 or so. The coin ended up with Kirk Gorman. His coins were then sold which is where I purchased it.

jom

Very nice coin and great provenance @jom!

Here's your photo for those viewing the thread.

It looks like a match for this TrueView:

• Options

I was just lazy....I was working on something else or I would have posted it. Thanks

jom

• Options
    edited February 22, 2023 10:06PM

@jom said:
    I was just lazy....I was working on something else or I would have posted it. Thanks

jom

No worries, and you're welcome! Great to see more of Catherine's great coins!

Great coins from everyone! Keep them coming :)

• Options
    edited February 22, 2023 10:10PM

Just found out that Catherine / Coinhunter's 2005 sale was called "My Personal Treasures". What a nice touch.

• Options
    edited February 22, 2023 10:16PM

Here's a Bullowa coin recently surfaced in the Bass sale. She sold this way back on 2/26/1972.

• Options
    edited February 22, 2023 10:17PM

I should also tell a story about these Capped Bust Dimes. I bought Kirk's coin thru a small auction held by David Perkins at the ANA in Anaheim in 2016 (similar to what Sheridan Downey does occasionally). When I arrived at the show I placed my bid (some would say nuclear bid) for this coin probably on a Thursday and it would be announced on Friday who won the coins. I had already did some searching on the coin and found it in Goldberg's archives from the Benson sale.

In the meantime I was walking the bourse floor when I found a 1911 CBD and I thought was nice so I bought it. No big deal.

Then Friday comes along and I win the 1828. Great...two good coins for the show. Yay.

Now a few weeks later I went to the Goldberg website to check out the Benson sale again...probably to download the photo for the 1828. While searching I noticed in the same sale (a few lots before the 1828) was this 1811 dime. I look it and was shocked to find out that it the SAME 1811 I bought at the ANA. AND it's noted in the catalog both coins were purchased originally from Bullowa on the same day by Benson in 1948 or some such. I mean really....what are the odds that happening? That was just too weird.

jom

• Options

Here's the 1811 dime.

jom

• Options

@jom said:
    I should also tell a story about these Capped Bust Dimes. I bought Kirk's coin thru a small auction held by David Perkins at the ANA in Anaheim in 2016 (similar to what Sheridan Downey does occasionally). When I arrived at the show I placed my bid (some would say nuclear bid) for this coin probably on a Thursday and it would be announced on Friday who won the coins. I had already did some searching on the coin and found it in Goldberg's archives from the Benson sale.

In the meantime I was walking the bourse floor when I found a 1911 CBD and I thought was nice so I bought it. No big deal.

Then Friday comes along and I win the 1828. Great...two good coins for the show. Yay.

Now a few weeks later I went to the Goldberg website to check out the Benson sale again...probably to download the photo for the 1828. While searching I noticed in the same sale (a few lots before the 1828) was this 1811 dime. I look it and was shocked to find out that it the SAME 1811 I bought at the ANA. AND it's noted in the catalog both coins were purchased originally from Bullowa on the same day by Benson in 1948 or some such. I mean really....what are the odds that happening? That was just too weird.

jom

What a great coincidence and what a great story! Thanks for sharing it.

Copying @WDP so he partake in the reuniting of these coins!

• Options

Here's a coin pedigreed to David Bullowa, John Jay Pittman, Bob Simpson, Eugene Gardner and Dr. Bender.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file