Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Clad Error

Tell me what your take is on this one. 2017 Effigy Mounds ATB Quarter. Looks to me like the layers are mixed up and spotty instead of layered correctly. Let me know what you think the value might be just for fun. #keepingthisone
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 2:49PM

looks like a combination of
    discoloration - environmental damage
    funny looking shapes on reverse with defined edges - clear glue

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

There is no glue or raised edges. All the edges are indented. What would explain the mixture in the edge layers instead of clearly defined layers like usual?

• Options

it's normal to have variations with what shows through the reeds. some of the copper core was smeared over one clad layer. check other uncirculated quarters and you'll see all kinds of variations.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Are you saying normal as in it’s basically worthless or normal as In common? I’ve never found one before through the thousands of quarter rolls I’ve searched.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is discoloration or staining, not struck on a defective clad layer. An true error would hopefully be more lustrous, if still uncirculated, and the copper color would be more uniform, rather than splotchy. The boundaries between the copper and nickel would also be more distinct on a true defective planchet.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental damage. It spent some time buried, was dug up and then cleaned with something like Kaboom.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post Mint Damage

• Options
    edited December 12, 2020 4:14PM

normal, with respect to what you are seeing one the reeding, in that random variations with the punching the blank and striking it in collar can make what you see on the reeding all kinds of different... including looking like it one of the clad layers is missing or incredibly thin. ... but in reality the clad layers are all there.

if it were missing or had a thin clad layer the weight would be off.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/coin-specifications

5.670 g more or less is what a normal one would weigh.

you have an interesting looking quarter but its value is only a quarter.

• Options

On a side note, I hate to say, but it seems like a lot of people on this site seem very skeptical and close minded to possible errors, then dismiss them rather fast and harshly. That’s just my perspective so far since joining this site. (Not a discussion starter)

There is no deterioration of the stamping though and is just as lusterous as any other quarter in my pocket. I’ll check the weight when I get home tonight. Maybe I’ll try to get better photos and you can actually take a better look and see.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jgrabocoin said:
    On a side note, I hate to say, but it seems like a lot of people on this site seem very skeptical and close minded to possible errors, then dismiss them rather fast and harshly. That’s just my perspective so far since joining this site. (Not a discussion starter)

I know you said it isn’t a discussion starter but it is worth mentioning a few things. One is you’re right that there is a harsh tone for a lot of these threads but quite a few people try to educate and point out good resources. Two is the majority of “errors” posted here aren’t errors.

It’s exciting to see something different in change. I’ve gotten caught up in it myself in the past. I bought a book on the mint process and it had pictures of just about every kind of mint made error. That really helped me learn what is what. I also learned that some errors are errors of a kind but aren’t worth much.

In any case, hope you stick around and enjoy your time here.

• Options

Your quarter is not an error coin.

The look you want to see on a missing partial clad quarter is this ...

• Options

we're not trying to be harsh. we have many such questions and over the years the explanations have diminished past explanations and dwindled down to a few simple words.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 4:49PM

I'm glad you came here for advice, but if you aren't going to listen to the advice then it won't be a very positive experience for you.

I don't blame you for thinking you see exposed copper because at first glance that is what it looks like. However, more experienced people recognize the signs of environmental damage, and they've seen it before.

At least one of the people who gave you feedback is a fulltime error coin dealer.

You also have to remember that the silver-colored metal in our modern coinage is an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel (five cent coins are a solid alloy of this mixture, and the outer layers of clad clubs are as well). The color of the nickel usually predominates but when subjected to certain conditions or elements the copper color emerges.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2020 5:25PM

for the reverse....
    I don't see diminished detail as would be seen on a struck through coin

https://www.sullivannumismatics.com/information/articles/strike-through-error-coins

or with a lamination error:

the picture is linked from the below page. it is #2 on the slideshow after the lincoln cent.
    https://www.coinworld.com/numismatic/collector-basics/coin-world-collecting-basics-lamination-errors-numismatics-error-coins-collecting-hobby.html

• Options

@JBK said:
    I'm glad you came here for advice, but if you aren't going to listen to the advice then it won't be a very positive experience for you.

It’s not a matter of not listening to the advise. I take all into consideration. The matter is getting “answers” before questions.
    I, like most others would ask more descriptive questions to make a more accurate or fair assessment instead of responding right away with a quick and harsh dismissal that doesn’t match the description.

I might stay to read other threads but doubtful that I will post because of that reason. That is all there is to be said on that.

If anyone wants to ask questions about the coin and maybe come to a more accurate conclusion with fair discussion, I’m game. Otherwise, I’m out. Thanks

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jgrabocoin said:
    Are you saying normal as in it’s basically worthless or normal as In common? I’ve never found one before through the thousands of quarter rolls I’ve searched.

Yes, it is only worth face value.

Many of the answers are from experienced numismatists who know and understand the minting process. They have explained why your coin has environmental damage.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

@Jgrabocoin said:

If anyone wants to ask questions about the coin and maybe come to a more accurate conclusion with fair discussion, I’m game. Otherwise, I’m out. Thanks

Translation: "I only want to hear what I want to hear."

Sorry, but people won't lie to you just to protect your feelings.

Your coin is not an error, for the reasons stated by multiple people. Ask all the questions you want in order to understand that, but the outcome won't change.

Sorry.

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 7:24PM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jgrabocoin said:

@JBK said:

It’s not a matter of not listening to the advise. I take all into consideration. The matter is getting “answers” before questions.
    I, like most others would ask more descriptive questions to make a more accurate or fair assessment instead of responding right away with a quick and harsh dismissal that doesn’t match the description.

I might stay to read other threads but doubtful that I will post because of that reason. That is all there is to be said on that.

I'm not sure whether you want us to ask questions or you have more questions. But the reason none of us asked questions is because that is clearly environmental damage and it is easily recognizable from the very good pictures you posted.

• Options

@edwardjulio said:
    "Otherwise, I’m out. Thanks"
    I agree, you should take your quarter and go home.

the idea is to not make things worse here.

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

OP is frustrated that every one of their posted “errors” is not an error.

https://forums.collectors.com/profile/discussions/Jgrabocoin

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options

I'm not sure whether you want us to ask questions or you have more questions. But the reason none of us asked questions is because that is clearly environmental damage and it is easily recognizable from the very good pictures you posted.

Ok, I guess “easily recognizable” for you may be a thing. Not so much for me. Can you explain how you came to the answer of environmental damage. I’m curious of what details lead you to believe that and what indicators actually make that the consensus. Maybe I can use it to help me avoid this situation again.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take a look at the Heritage error coin archives and search for lamination or plating errors. See if your coin looks like any of them and post for comparison.

• Options

@Jgrabocoin said:

Ok, I guess “easily recognizable” for you may be a thing. Not so much for me. Can you explain how you came to the answer of environmental damage. I’m curious of what details lead you to believe that and what indicators actually make that the consensus. Maybe I can use it to help me avoid this situation again.

The most obvious thing (to me) is the lettering. If the copper core were showing through, it would be a problem before striking. The raised letters would not be silver against a copper background.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like PMD

• Options

@Jimnight said:
    Looks like PMD

Jim, can you give a better description of your assessment? I would like to know your reasons for it. Thank you

• Options
    edited December 12, 2020 9:46PM

I was going to write something long-winded.

what jmlanzaf has pointed out is evidence enough.

look in the yellow squares. the raised letters being one color and the fields around them a darker color is shown.

my part:
    note how nice the reeding looks... shiny, most of it. but not all of it. in the red box is a discolored area. that is not "thick copper." it is ED. since the rest of the reeding looks great I would say this coin wasn't dug up from the ground.

in the red are lighter areas where I guess you would argue is a thicker upper layer? if you argue that the copper is showing through. How is it that there are seeming dark areas next to very light areas? it's spider webbed before being rolled
    (and note there are plain bright spots in dark areas. a dropped bit of metal?)

In the pink, (bad drawing job from me) look next to the diagonal line and you see abrupt color changes next to the diagonal line. that patch is not even copper colored. that has to be ED, right?

In the green is that familiar lighter color, but not where the hair meets the field. that arc is dark.

in the red rectangle on the left? pooling next to the rim
    in the pink "montana" shape? pooling.
    around the hair-meets-field? pooling
    Yellow? pooling.... the letters are raised out of the pools.

Reeding? looking new until it hits that discolored part...

in short it's all discolored from ED.

These layers come on rolls. the ends of each layer are machine cut not ragged(spider-webbed).

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Thanks to all for the info, good read.

• Options

New photos with the microscope. Maybe these will shed some light on what I would think is not ED and looks like the copper is showing through or is not layered as normal.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm interested in seeing this coin a year from now, if you place it on a window shelf.
    It may just transform,( as you saw, and stated ) into a swan. With a burst of color.
    But don't touch it.
    Nothing else here regarding surface appeal.
    Worth a try.( No pun intended )
    Cool

• Options

the E that is causing the ED is leeching the copper out of the 75/25.

then there are some areas that are just plain clad layer with ED (and that appears to have no leeching there)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is really environmental damage... and good information has been provided above. A judicious dip would totally change the appearance and remove most of the questionable discoloration. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Jgrabocoin said:
    New photos with the microscope. Maybe these will shed some light on what I would think is not ED and looks like the copper is showing through or is not layered as normal.

It looks more like acid damage in those photos. If I go into work this week, I'll try to make another one for you to compare.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2020 8:16AM

This forum IS brutal in its analysis at times. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong. QDB himself told me “Discoveries ARE Made”. I remember my attempts to discuss, analyze and interpret the Gilfoil Copper. Amazingly, this forum turned up a dozen experts full of reasons why it could not possibly be that, despite the Fact that not a single one had even heard of it before I began presenting evidence such as Period trial transcripts, XRF analysis proving Parys Mountain origin of the copper, similar segments of Spanish Silver coin marked by a smaller similar British Broad Arrow found at Fort Crown Point, a very similar copper farthing size piece found there.... Nothing I could present was about to sway the rock solid opinions of the Experts here who had never even heard of this piece before I presented it. I swear, if you told forum members the sun is Bright, a good number would steadfastly disagree!

• Options

@ambro51 said:
    This forum IS brutal in its analysis at times. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong. QDB himself told me “Discoveries ARE Made”. I remember my attempts to discuss, analyze and interpret the Gilfoil Copper. Amazingly, this forum turned up a dozen experts full of reasons why it could not possibly be that, despite the Fact that not a single one had even heard of it before I began presenting evidence such as Period trial transcripts, XRF analysis proving Parys Mountain origin of the copper, similar segments of Spanish Silver coin marked by a smaller similar British Broad Arrow. Nothing I could present was about to sway the rock solid opinions of the Experts here who had never even heard of this piece before I presented it. I swear, if you told forum members the sun is Bright, a good number would steadfastly disagree!

It's overcast in Rochester.

;)

• Options

@ambro51 said:
    This forum IS brutal in its analysis at times. Sometimes right, sometimes wrong. QDB himself told me “Discoveries ARE Made”. I remember my attempts to discuss, analyze and interpret the Gilfoil Copper. Amazingly, this forum turned up a dozen experts full of reasons why it could not possibly be that, despite the Fact that not a single one had even heard of it before I began presenting evidence such as Period trial transcripts, XRF analysis proving Parys Mountain origin of the copper, similar segments of Spanish Silver coin marked by a smaller similar British Broad Arrow found at Fort Crown Point, a very similar copper farthing size piece found there.... Nothing I could present was about to sway the rock solid opinions of the Experts here who had never even heard of this piece before I presented it. I swear, if you told forum members the sun is Bright, a good number would steadfastly disagree!

P.S. I pulled up the old Gilfoil Copper thread. Very interesting. You might resurrect the thread for people like me who missed it the first time around. If nothing else, it is a really good example of solid research.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:

The consensus here is correct, far more often than not. In your case, the evidence you presented was very different and far more thorough than what posters with so-called errors tend to post. If you honestly disagree with the preceding, I say to you...the sun is dull.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@ricko said:
    It is really environmental damage... and good information has been provided above. A judicious dip would totally change the appearance and remove most of the questionable discoloration. Cheers, RickO

A “judicious dip” in what? Isn’t that considered “cleaning” which is the ultimate sacrilege in coin collecting? I’m not willing to destroy this coin just to try to find out this happens to be something other than ED.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jgrabocoin said:

There are numerous ways for a coin to become damaged in circulation. But the minting process us well understood (especially by members who are trying to help you). If you want to have a fair discussion with an accurate assessment you really need to understand the basics of the minting process.

The problem is that you're asking "show me why it's not damage". That requires a lot of background info if you're unfamiliar with the minting process. Remember, people are already giving their time to help you. It would be unreasonable to expect them to spend a significant amount of time teaching you the minting process. You can get started here

https://www.usmint.gov/news/inside-the-mint/how-coins-are-made-coin-production-terminology

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jgrabocoin If you are unwilling to believe the experts here, please prove them wrong by sending this specimen to our hosts for grading and follow up with the results. Perhaps you will have the last laugh.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

This forum IS brutal? I don't think so. My opinion is that many forum members, especially the experts, go overboard to help in answering questions. Especially questions from newbies to the forum. And in return they get trash talked by the newbie. It's a pattern. Am I the only one who notices? You guys around here are sometimes TOO nice.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2020 12:12PM

OK. Here’s what ya do. Go to a Jeweler. Have them spot check these different areas by XRF. That WILL tell the composition of what you’re seeing. IF those coppery areas come back Copper and Not coppernickel....if the clad areas come back Coppernickel.....then the OP should present some delicious fried crow recipes to those adamant in the NO. ••••• Just sayin.....I’ve got NO opinion on this coin but XRF can give the answer.(though I’m certain many here will demand to see a certificate of compliance from a weights and measures bureau before they would accept an XRF readout)

• Options

This seems like a viable answer to what I’m seeing.
    http://www.error-ref.com/partial-clad-layer-before-strike/

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jgrabocoin said:

The linked coin looks very different from yours. If you can’t see that, it might be because you don’t want to.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 13, 2020 12:43PM

Here's what aa sintered planchet looks like.

This also has a copperish color but not spotty like the one in the OP.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Jgrabocoin said:

The linked coin looks very different from yours. If you can’t see that, it might be because you don’t want to.

Or, he could have looked at the coin I posted way up there :#

• Options

Zions, I knew I recognized that coin .....

• Options
    edited December 13, 2020 1:19PM

@Jgrabocoin said:

piece broke off, note the definition along the edges.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    Here's what aa sintered planchet looks like.

This also has a copperish color but not spotty like the one in the OP.

>

note the letters are discolored like the surrounding area

• Options

Aside from the color, the OP's coin has surfaces that show signs of environmental damage.

But I guess it doesn't matter. :/

Once he joins PCGS it should cost another $75-100 to get the coin certified (or not) as a genuine error. So go ahead and send it in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file