Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this a US Mint waffled coin or PMD?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a waffled coin, but was it waffled by the Mint or afterwards?

This is dated 1996 which is before the time the Mint started waffling coins in 2002. It also has a different waffle pattern than other US coins.

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't waffling a form of PMD?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited December 7, 2020 6:50AM

@PerryHall said:

Is US Mint waffling done by US Mint staff in US Mint facilities? If so, I wouldn't consider that "post-Mint", which to me means after the piece is in possession of another party.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t look like any waffle ones I’ve seen, though I haven’t seen many. I’ll err on the side of done outside the mint.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silverpop said:
    outside the mint PMD

This

Ken
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were betting... and there was some way to establish fact - I would wager on PMD.... done by someone long after the mint. Does not look like any mint waffled coins I have seen. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited December 7, 2020 7:54AM

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

Is US Mint waffling done by US Mint staff in US Mint facilities? If so, I wouldn't consider that "post-Mint", which to me means after the piece is in possession of another party.

PMD means Post Mintage Damage. The waffling happened AFTER the coin was minted. If a mint employee took a freshly minted coin and beat it with a sledge hammer before it left the mint, it would be PMD. A lot of it comes down to intent. Waffling was intended to destroy the coin and render it into scrap metal.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could've been waffled at a foreign mint. They use a different waffling pattern.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't look like waffling to me ... it looks like PMD.

• Options

@Jimnight said:

It looks like both to me.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Jimnight said:

It looks like both to me.

:D Your right!

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not done by the US Mint's Waffle machine, imo

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2020 8:41AM

@PerryHall said:

@Zoins said:

@PerryHall said:

PMD means Post Mintage Damage. The waffling happened AFTER the coin was minted. If a mint employee took a freshly minted coin and beat it with a sledge hammer before it left the mint, it would be PMD. A lot of it comes down to intent. Waffling was intended to destroy the coin and render it into scrap metal.

That's not the definition I'm familiar with.

There are generally two terms used "Post-Mint Damage (PMD)" and "Post-Strike Damage (PSD)".

It seems you're using the definition for Post-Strike Damage.

See this:

https://varietyerrors.com/coins/post-mint-damage-post-strike-damage-what-you-need-to-know-about-pmd-psd-vs-error-coins-damaged-coins-value/

Post Mint Damage & Post Strike Damage: What You Need To Know About PMD & PSD vs. Error Coins + Damaged Coins Value

It stands for Post Mint Damage, and refers to any damage a coin has suffered after leaving the mint.
    [...]
    Post Mint Damage (PMD) and Post Strike Damage (PSD) are often mistaken for errors on U.S. coins

And this:

http://www.coinzip.com/articlesPage1.php?i=174

PMD (Post Mint Damage
    [...]
    PMD stands for Post Mint Damage, and refers to any damage a coin has suffered after leaving the mint.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2020 8:50AM

The US mint did not waffle that coin, wrong pattern.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree on the PMD vs PSD distinction. Plenty of PSD has come out of the mint over the years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file