Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why do virtually all worn medals have a reverse?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 5, 2020 5:35AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'm curious about how medals were used back in the day.

One thing that struck me as interesting is that many medals are found almost always with a hanger or holed for suspension. Unholed medals can be rare.

If these medals were intended to always be worn, why did they have a reverse?

After being worn, did people keep them on their desks and flip them over often?

Here's an 1886 Albany Bicentennial medal cataloged as HK-601 and Rulau-NY-Ab-4 I just ran across. This is listed as a So-Called Dollar. An interesting thing is that with as many suspended So-Called Dollars there are, I've yet to come across photos of people wearing them! Are there any contemporary photos of people wearing So-Called Dollars?

Photos by bied_tin.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that was because they did “double duty.” The first three official presidential inaugural medals were holed an suspended on a ribbon. They provided an ID and function badge for the volunteer during the event and a keepsake after it had ended. The first stand alone conventional medal was issued for William McKinley in 1901.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't you ever seen a reversible tie?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking closely at the reverse... The beaver collectors will be looking for one of these ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

To me a two-sided piece is more impressive than a one-sided piece. And it gives you more surface area to commemorate whatever it is you are commemorating.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Haven't you ever seen a reversible tie?

I don't think the medal in the OP or many other medals can be easily worn reversed ;)

• Options

@BillJones said:
    I think that was because they did “double duty.” The first three official presidential inaugural medals were holed an suspended on a ribbon. They provided an ID and function badge for the volunteer during the event and a keepsake after it had ended. The first stand alone conventional medal was issued for William McKinley in 1901.

I think it's nice to have a reverse. I wonder how many people look at it often but perhaps just a couple of times makes it worthwhile.

• Options

@ricko said:
    Looking closely at the reverse... The beaver collectors will be looking for one of these ;) Cheers, RickO

I'm surprised I haven't seen any of these in beaver threads already!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file