Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will a acetone dip help this Tidy House Morgan Dollar's black marks?

jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1884 0 Morgan Dollar Tidy House has very unattractive(to me) toning and some black marks. I wonder if a dip in acetone would help remove the black marks and if it removes the toning also, hooray! If the dip would help. How long and is there a method to the madness of dipping?
Thanks,
Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2020 11:26AM

I doubt it, but probably wouldn't hurt to try. You can let it soak as long as you want.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is still in the Tidy House holder, I would leave it alone. Otherwise it is just another common Morgan.

• Options

Mine came in this cardboard insert in an envelope. Nothing seals mine in the cardboard, it just falls out if you lift the cardboard. Did they come differently? I've had this one for some time and thought it to be original but I could be wrong.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Search them on eBay, there are some to look at and compare.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    Search them on eBay, there are some to look at and compare.

I did that Smudge, and all that had the cardboard identifiers were just like mine with nothing other than a piece of tape holding the coins in. Now if there was another such holder not being shown, I can't say, but none I have seen. So many have such wild toning, I wonder if they actually got it from the Tidy House cardboard holders or were placed in the holders after the toning occurred elsewhere? Hard to say. Hopefully, the acetone will help mine, as it truly has a lot of luster under the crud. I was hoping for a little more advice as to the useage of acetone, but it is as it is.
    Jim

• Options

I don’t dip coins so some other members here should be more able to advise on how to dip, but I am pretty sure it should be rinsed well in distilled water.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone will remove organic dirt and grime. It won't do anything to the toning. HOWEVER, that doesn't necessarily mean it ends up looking better. If you remove surface grime you could end up with white spots instead of black spots. You have to decide whether you like the natural dirt.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone might help it pop a little ... and it certainly shouldn't hurt it.

Use the three dish (glass, always) approach with high grade acetone and no plastics (and plenty of ventilation). First dish soak and swish (and sometimes a paper stick q-tip with a light roll over a problem area). Second dish, same as the first.

Third dish, just a quick swish and rinse. Air dry on a paper towel flipping over after a few seconds (acetone evaporates quickly).

I use a pair of surgical steel thongs with light serrated grips to pick up the coin by the edge and set it down whenever I do this. Practice this first with pocket change as it doesn't pay to make a mistake.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Acetone might help it pop a little ... and it certainly shouldn't hurt it.

Use the three dish (glass, always) approach with high grade acetone and no plastics (and plenty of ventilation). First dish soak and swish (and sometimes a paper stick q-tip with a light roll over a problem area). Second dish, same as the first.

Third dish, just a quick swish and rinse. Air dry on a paper towel flipping over after a few seconds (acetone evaporates quickly).

I use a pair of surgical steel thongs with light serrated grips to pick up the coin by the edge and set it down whenever I do this. Practice this first with pocket change as it doesn't pay to make a mistake.

Thanks for the advice. I would have never guessed those steps. I'll get some from my son's gun shop this week and give it a try.
    Jim

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone will not remove toning. Ez-zest is your best option. I would only dip in in about 3 second intervals. Shouldn't take more than a couple quick dips. Anymore and you jeopardize the luster, if any.

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have rarely used anything stronger than acetone, and have found that it does not affect toning. However, I do not consider your coin to be "toned". I rather think it is a type of surface covering that might be removed by acetone. I suggest you try it for an extended period of time if necessary before trying Ez-Zest as suggested by @bsshog40.

OINK

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave it alone. ;)
    Sell it as is and get something you like better.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone will remove organic deposits and will not affect the metal. Might need an extended soak (cover the glass container or the acetone will quickly evaporate). I always rinse with alcohol, followed by hot water. Good luck and show us the result. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

They usually have a snug fit. Do you still have the advertising flyer and envelope that go with it? The owner of Tidy House at the time was a collector and dipped and used nice coins, so I am a little surprised a coin with grease marks made it into cardboard, but not going to say not possible.

• Options

Here is what I got with no flyer and yes it has a snug fit, but would allow shaking or sudden movements or the coin would fall out. Also you can see that there is luster and even a little color amidst the grunge.
    Jim

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just use detergent. I think Tide might work😉

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    Just use detergent. I think Tide might work😉

How are you gonna get liberty to eat a tide pod? :/

• Options
    edited December 1, 2020 12:39PM

Put the pod in the envelope with the coin for another 10 years. :*
    Jim

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd keep it as is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file