Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Worst Fake You Have Seen....

Is it worse than this one! The owner of it thought it would be worth a premium since the date is misprinted! Geez louise!!

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    I've had customers with similar and called me a liar and scam artist for not buying their rare family heirlooms.

i feel it about time for a "why coin dealers drink" thread bump!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not fake, just comically altered.

Vplite99
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 inches?

bob :):)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    I've had customers with similar and called me a liar and scam artist for not buying their rare family heirlooms.

You would think the mere fact that you didn't want their priceless pieces would have turned the light bulb on.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• LuxorLuxor Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought this one was pretty bad as 'California proofs' go, and yet one or two individuals here who like to portray themselves as very knowledgeable felt otherwise.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

That penny is funny.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1914-D cent where the date was altered from a 1944 and the D was added... ABOVE the date!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    That penny is funny.

You're right and likely the coin was altered as a gag.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 2:45AM

I had a dealer try to sell me a 1928 peace dollar that was a 1923. Swore up and down it was a 28. Only catch was it had a Denver mint mark

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 1909 S VDB.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D Still laughing at that 1909 S VDB cent....Cheers, RickO

• burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with ricko, still chuckling over the 1909-S VDB B) !

Going to change it up a bit and show the "worst" I have seen, a struck counterfeit 1797 large cent. Worst meaning the scariest...

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 4:26PM

In Thailand I picked up a couple "silver dollars" to give to some coin collecting friends of mine in the US. The size and the heft was right, and the designs per se were pretty good, but they had Morgan obverses and Liberty Seated reverses. Needless to say, I paid less than a $1 for them.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 1909 S VDB.

• batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Worse than the 1875 'guaranteed to be authentic' Washington quarter I passed on at a flea market in North Africa!

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Very nice 1909 S VDB.

:#

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@burfle23 said:
    I'm with ricko, still chuckling over the 1909-S VDB B) !

Going to change it up a bit and show the "worst" I have seen, a struck counterfeit 1797 large cent. Worst meaning the scariest...

That's scary, it looks fairly real at first glance. I don't know alot about old copper, but if you told me it was real I'd belive you. (if I wasn't buying it)

• CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@Luxor said:
    I thought this one was pretty bad as 'California proofs' go, and yet one or two individuals here who like to portray themselves as very knowledgeable felt otherwise.

Looks great.. except for when the cameo only is on part of the morgan....

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the worst I've ever seen is every Continental Dollar that gets posted here !

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait! I can bid on that cent at which auction? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 30, 2020 8:01PM

Here' s one I have had for 30+ years. It was still silver in color when I got it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Here are a couple of candidates. I have not "seen them" but I did spot them on the Internet and added them to my "virtual counterfiet collection."

A "1795 Dollar"

A "not even close" obverse is paired with the wrong reverse.

A 1904-CC Morgan Dollar

This Chinese coin fake maker failed to note that the Carson City Mint closed 11 years earlier.

The 'CC' on the 1904 slug likely means it was minted at the Chengdu China operation.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

what a bummer to cause there was free shipping

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilmcoins said:
    Is it worse than this one! The owner of it thought it would be worth a premium since the date is misprinted! Geez louise!!

After close scrutiny, I believe this cent is ruined mostly due to the huge mark over the ear on the obverse. That really draws your attention. Almost looks like it was held in a vise for unknown reasons. Then there's that awful strike through the C in Cent. Just dreadful. You'd be lucky to be able to spend it at face value. ;)

• mosjcoinmosjcoin Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

Sorry I couldn't stop myself

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2020 10:14PM

The best ones a lot of them we don’t see. Many in collections not to resurface for awhile.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file