Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1964 Kennedy 50c

Hi Everyone,

I'm a UK coin collector that has just started getting in to US coins. I've been doing it for a few months now, and I'm finding it very interesting. At the moment I am trying to find out more information about a 1964 Kennedy Half Dollar that I got from a 1964 proof set. All I know so far is it's not a special strike ( I wish!), it weighs 12.50 grams and it's a proof coin. After that it gets a bit confusing and it's a bit difficult to keep tabs on what applies to what. As I said I know that it's a proof coin, and I think that I'm right in thinking that it's just a straight forward common or garden 1964 proof half dollar from that era. If anybody could elaborate on that it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

if you want to go wild with Kennedy Half Dollars, try a loupe and this link: http://www.varietyvista.com/12 Kennedy Halves/index.htm

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a ton of doubled dies for the series and interesting Mint mark varieties, too. And the accented hair proof for 1964. The link MsMorrisine mentions is a great resource for these.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    if you want to go wild with Kennedy Half Dollars, try a loupe and this link: http://www.varietyvista.com/12 Kennedy Halves/index.htm

Thanks for the heads up MsMorrisine, much appreciated.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Diamond, We can rule out cameo, deep cameo, and accented hair. I think you have a really nice high grade 64 proof. Great photos BTW.

• Options

@koynekwest said:
    There's a ton of doubled dies for the series and interesting Mint mark varieties, too. And the accented hair proof for 1964. The link MsMorrisine mentions is a great resource for these.

Thanks koynekwest, much appreciated.

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Diamond, We can rule out cameo, deep cameo, and accented hair. I think you have a really nice high grade 64 proof. Great photos BTW.

Thanks bolivarshagnasty for the information, I just bought a lens for my camera and it's my new toy (Mutley laugh!) haha, love the Mutley gif!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bolivarshagnasty said:

Even if the coin were to grade as high as PR68, however, it would likely bring less than $50. Thus, it would not merit the cost of grading and postage.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

A PR68 (non cameo) that I own for comparison.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a very nice proof Kennedy half.... That being said, it is not a 'special' one... The link above will prove of great interest if you pursue the Kennedy halves... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Nice coin but how does a coin straight from a Proof Set gets a ding on the eye and chin area?

Poor quality control ftom the mint?

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2020 8:39AM

Hi and Welcome aboard. Yes, your photos are second to none! I see you are starting out with the interest of the Kennedy half dollar? Very good choice. One of my favorite coins to collect. A wide spread spectrum in the Kennedy. As mentioned above, many sorts of varieties. Also, the Cameo was brought up. I believe you have a pretty close one there. Judging by your photos. You may just be a bit shy of that, however? Excellent coin to begin your journey. If you are interested in the Kennedy, like you posted. I suggest to you to pick up the book from an expert in the Kennedy coins. His name is Rick Tomaska. I pictured his book for you to check out. A very fine book written and shown many photos of the coin. I feel you'll enjoy it if you want to start out in the series. Good Luck. Post often. We here on the forum always love to see a great photo now and then, and I can tell you're very good at it. -Joey B)

Notice a true "Deep Cameo or Ultra Cameo".

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I did not change my photo for this thread. I'm simply relating

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

thanks for the link

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Diamond70Diamond70 Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November 27, 2020 1:16PM

@joeykoins said:
    Hi and Welcome aboard. Yes, your photos are second to none! I see you are starting out with the interest of the Kennedy half dollar? Very good choice. One of my favorite coins to collect. A wide spread spectrum in the Kennedy. As mentioned above, many sorts of varieties. Also, the Cameo was brought up. I believe you have a pretty close one there. Judging by your photos. You may just be a bit shy of that, however? Excellent coin to begin your journey. If you are interested in the Kennedy, like you posted. I suggest to you to pick up the book from an expert in the Kennedy coins. His name is Rick Tomaska. I pictured his book for you to check out. A very fine book written and shown many photos of the coin. I feel you'll enjoy it if you want to start out in the series. Good Luck. Post often. We here on the forum always love to see a great photo now and then, and I can tell you're very good at it. -Joey B)

Thank you Joey, You are a gent! Yes, I've definitely taken a liking to the Kennedy half dollar! It's a superb piece of craftsmanship and engineering, and to my mind it epitomises the Golden Age of US coins. A truly amazing design also that embodies everything American. I think it's only fair too that if I am going to ask for information and opinions from the experts that I post the best pictures I possibly can. I'm glad that I am getting that right! - I appreciate the thumbs up. Thanks also for the book recommendation, which I will ordering from Amazon without fail :)

P.S. Many thanks for the pointers on the dark cameo, I really need to nail that subject.

• Options

@Diamond70 said:

@joeykoins said:

Thank you Joey, You are a gent! Yes, I've definitely taken a liking to the Kennedy half dollar! It's a superb piece of craftsmanship and engineering, and to my mind it epitomises the Golden Age of US coins. A truly amazing design also that embodies everything American. I think it's only fair too that if I am going to ask for information and opinions from the experts that I post the best pictures I possibly can. I'm glad that I am getting that right! - I appreciate the thumbs up. Thanks also for the book recommendation, which I will ordering from Amazon without fail :)

@Sweetpie said:
    Nice coin but how does a coin straight from a Proof Set gets a ding on the eye and chin area?

Poor quality control ftom the mint?

Hi Sweetpie, I can see what you mean and it crossed my mind that the direction of the light may make them appear to look like dings, but I promise that they aren't B)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. I believe that the 1964 Proof Sets were a high-water mark for many years in terms of mintage, and many nice coins were undoubtedly saved. Your specimen is a nice coin.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Welcome to the forum. I believe that the 1964 Proof Sets were a high-water mark for many years in terms of mintage, and many nice coins were undoubtedly saved. Your specimen is a nice coin.

Hi Jmski, Thanks for taking the time to write it is much appreciated. Yes it seems a lot of them were saved, it's definitely a very interesting coin.

• Options
    edited November 27, 2020 11:06PM

Lol. Your first thread, inspired me to GO and SEEK for a nice example of a 1964 PF. Kennedy! Well, I did! I found not one but two.

My photography skills need some work.

Both the variety type. Double Dies, (DD). On the obverse
    The first one;

second one,

Cherry Pickers Guide book
    Varieties of various denominations

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2020 9:34AM

Here's a Cupronickel coin of John Kennedy. Approximately 38 mm in diameter

• Options
    JeffnluJeffnlu Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

Is that a big old thumbprint on the op's Kennedy?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

on the neck? part of the design.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Diamond70Diamond70 Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 2:43PM

Thanks Joey, Very nice coins. The Kennedy half dollars are beauties and a credit to all of the people that made them possible. The coin fields are absolutely outstanding and the grain of the silver really steals the show. You can't raise the bar any higher than that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file