Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

They hate us cause they ain’t us

Haters gonna hate but I’m starting to put together set of prez dollars. Who else feels these coins get too much hate? Who else feels like they hate us because they ain’t us?

Post your presidential dollars

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think PrezBucks are nice but I kind of have a thing for the privately issued token series with more information on each President too.

I've been thinking it would be fun to collect something like the following series:

• Options
    Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I think PrezBucks are nice but I kind of have a thing for the privately issued token series with more information on each President too.

I've been thinking it would be fun to collect something like the following series:

Wow nice preztoke homie

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

going to both letter orientations? including proofs? etc?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

Down to one roll.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love all the modern series that have multiple designs per year.

Makes finding or buying major error coinage an extreme challenge.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m doing the mint presidential silver medals, at least I get some expensive bullion out of the deal.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@Panda4456 said:

@Zoins said:

Wow nice preztoke homie

That’s not mine, just one I posted to another thread recently to help someone identify their specimen.

This is actually in the ultimate collection, at the Smithsonian!

• Options

@JohnnyCache said:
    Good for the kids / grandchildren you may have in your life, so they can learn about the presidents, and you can sneak in an interest in coin collecting, all relatively on the cheap.

These are the proofs

Wow nice set!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Panda4456 said:

@Zoins said:

Wow nice preztoke homie

That’s not mine, just one I posted to another thread recently to help someone identify their specimen.

This is actually in the ultimate collection, at the Smithsonian!

It’s okay we can just pretend it’s yours 🤭😉

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    I don't think it's the coins getting hate as much as it is the mint for over doing it with all the special coinage programs.

That would be Congress's fault. ;)

The mint just does what it is told to do.

• Options

The artistic quality varies.

Personally, the Monroe is one of my favorite designs.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@ms70 said:
    I don't think it's the coins getting hate as much as it is the mint for over doing it with all the special coinage programs.

That would be Congress's fault. ;)

The mint just does what it is told to do.

But who's bringing the ideas to congress?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    I’m doing the mint presidential silver medals, at least I get some expensive bullion out of the deal.

doing this too - some of the layouts are a little wonky, but like the silver content - only wish they cap mintages, but not a huge deal

why is adams so massive on his, relative to other layouts?!

why is Jefferson so low-set on his obverse?!

• Options
    edited November 26, 2020 3:48PM

Not sure but I dont think its the mint.

Senators and Congresscritters file the bills, whatever the reason.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:
    Haters gonna hate but I’m starting to put together set of prez dollars. Who else feels these coins get too much hate? Who else feels like they hate us because they ain’t us?

Hate, no. Indifference, yes.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 5:08PM

@Panda4456 said:
    Haters gonna hate

and ain'ters gonna ain't!

i've enjoyed the errors/varieties for the series and LOVE LOVE LOVE spending the non-error/variety ones.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@3stars said:

doing this too - some of the layouts are a little wonky, but like the silver content - only wish they cap mintages, but not a huge deal

why is adams so massive on his, relative to other layouts?!

why is Jefferson so low-set on his obverse?!

The mint is copying the designs they issued in the 19th century. I can show you the Jefferson design, but not from an iPad.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Doing mine in an album

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't hate people who collect these dollars, I'm actually happy they do. Every dollar they spend on them is one dollar less they spend on something I collect.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 6:30PM

@Panda4456 said:

Great choice. President Hoover was born a Quaker, went to Stanford and became a world traveled and exceptional mining engineer (I went to Univ. of Idaho for my degree) and businessman, helped get Americans home during WW1 and helped feed the hungry afterwards in Europe, and got stuck getting blamed for the great depression.

Nice low cost opportunity to get a set together and read up on history.

• Options

@BillJones ah! had no idea - yeah man, that'd be cool to see - love them even more now that they have that connection to prior medals

cool album @3stars 😎

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2020 6:38PM

President Hoover also signed the Congressional Law that made the Star Spangled Banner the National Anthem in 1931. Then FDR did away with the gold standard in 1933, and the rest of the dollar fall is history.

• Options

@Goldminers said:

@Panda4456 said:

Great choice. President Hoover was born a Quaker, went to Stanford and became a world traveled and exceptional mining engineer (I went to Univ. of Idaho for my degree) and businessman, helped get Americans home during WW1 and helped feed the hungry afterwards in Europe, and got stuck getting blamed for the great depression.

Nice low cost opportunity to get a set together and read up on history.

Wow nice I didn’t know that! Haters gonna hate and ainters gonna ain’t!

• Options
    edited November 27, 2020 3:33AM

As for alternative ways to collect Presidents, I've been doing that as well, primarily along the lines of Civil War Tokens and Political Campaign Medals.

Here are some Civil War Tokens:

1863 Washington - First In War, First In Peace - Union For Ever

1864 Lincoln - The Right Man in the Right Place - Free dom

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sour experience giving collector coins to kids is saying “here’s something to spend when you’re broke”.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A major source of interest in coin/medal collecting is the vast array of things that can be collected. No one thing appeals to everyone... so, different strokes for different folks.... Of course, each collector will favor their particular interest. Collect what you like and have fun...Cheers, RickO

• Options

One the higher end are the inaugural medals. The official ones were issued starting in 1889 with Benjamin Harrison. The first three medals were holed and hung on ribbons. The later pieces are mostly larger and are stand alone pieces. I prefer the bronze pieces, but they were also in issued in gold (Impossible to collect, except for the more recent presidents) and silver (for most collectors starting with the 1953 Eisenhower). These are not to be confused with the U.S. series of presidential medals, which are different.

In keeping with the OP, here is the 1929 Hoover. Lower part of the design on the reverse recalls his engineering career. With a mintage of just over 1,000, this is a tough piece that sells for $1,200 to $1,500.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2020 9:52AM

As promised, here a circa 1860 strike of the Jefferson Indian Peace medal. The original Jefferson pieces were hollow and made of silver. Lewis and Clark gave them out to the Indians during their expedition. All of those pieces are very rare. This one is solid bronze. It was struck from the reverse obverse die from the early 1800s. The marker is the big die break on the right side.

Now you can see the design origins of your modern silver presidential medals.

• Options

so cool, @BillJones - thx for the history

• Options

You can always go dark side and collect coronation medals, usually pretty inexpensive but neat history:

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    The presidential mini medals I showed earlier could be purchased with this album from the mint in the 1970s.

When you look at the medals from a distance like this, they look quite nice.

Beautiful set...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one for the ol' typeset.
    No hate. They just don't excite me very much.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s to hate!? They’re only gonna cost you a buck.
    I have a few rolls laying around as I recently went to the bank and they had Mint wrapped rolls for face.
    And then I use others for tips for car wash, etc. Easier to drop into their palms during the pandemic.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there less interest in presidential dollars than other modern stuff? I found some in with coins that I collect the other day and thought “sweet! I just found 6 bucks!”
    I’ll keep one or two that are nice, so solve got the type.

• Options

Is there less interest in presidential dollars than other modern stuff?

It seems like it. When I was a dealer, I used to buy Proof sets from the mint. The full sets and the sets of State Quarters always sold out. Sometimes the State Quarter sets were big winners. Conversely, the presidential dollar sets seemed to be as popular as the plague. I dumped the last sets I had for little more than face value.

At my local club, we had a donation of 80 or so presidential dollars that Littleton Coin Company had packaged up in cellophane bags. These coins were REALLY NICE. They had virtually no marks and no spots. I tried to sell them in the club auction to raise a little extra money for the club. There were no takers. I offered them at face value. Almost no takers. A couple of grandparents took sets from Washington to Grant for their grandkids to learn some history. That was it.

So to answer your question, it does seem that these coins generate little interest among collectors.

• Options

@sparky64 said:
    I have one for the ol' typeset.
    No hate. They just don't excite me very much.

Wow! That's awesome! Imagine having a full set with those old TrueViews?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2020 5:47AM

@BillJones said:

Is there less interest in presidential dollars than other modern stuff?

It seems like it. When I was a dealer, I used to buy Proof sets from the mint. The full sets and the sets of State Quarters always sold out. Sometimes the State Quarter sets were big winners. Conversely, the presidential dollar sets seemed to be as popular as the plague. I dumped the last sets I had for little more than face value.

At my local club, we had a donation of 80 or so presidential dollars that Littleton Coin Company had packaged up in cellophane bags. These coins were REALLY NICE. They had virtually no marks and no spots. I tried to sell them in the club auction to raise a little extra money for the club. There were no takers. I offered them at face value. Almost no takers. A couple of grandparents took sets from Washington to Grant for their grandkids to learn some history. That was it.

So to answer your question, it does seem that these coins generate little interest among collectors.

Agreed.

It seems like even the Innovation $s are actually more popular and those are harder to get and much more expensive. Maybe dead Presidents have just been done too many times to be interesting to anyone.

I wonder if the Mint has ever considered doing events in American History on quarters or dollars. That would give you much broader topical coverage and allow for important social justice events as well.

I also wonder why they don't do half dollars instead of quarters or dollars. They'd have a much bigger canvas to work on.

• Options

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins wow! those are great

• Options

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I also wonder why they don't do half dollars instead of quarters or dollars.

Putting Kennedy on the half and continuing to make it out of silver after removing it from the dime and quarter killed the half as a circulating coin.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2020 6:20PM

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    I also wonder why they don't do half dollars instead of quarters or dollars.

Putting Kennedy on the half and continuing to make it out of silver after removing it from the dime and quarter killed the half as a circulating coin.

Yes, but I'm thinking more along the line of the Innovation $s and, recently, the Presidential dollars. Those are NCLT anyway. So why not just use the halves as a large pallete commemorative?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    So why not just use the halves as a large pallete commemorative?

Less seigniorage?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file