Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

George H.W. Bush Presidential $1 Coin 2020 Rolls, Bags, and Boxes

ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://catalog.usmint.gov/george-h-w-bush-presidential-1-coin-2020-rolls-bags-and-boxes-MASTER_BUSHRBB.html

25 coin roll p 25000
25 coin roll d 25000
100 coin bag p 2700
100 coin bag d 2100
250 coin box p 8000
250 coin box d 8000

noticed the denver bags have a different [and lowest] mintage than the philly bags

I know modern mules are a pipedream, but does anyone have interest / strategies around these?

just a buy-em-if-you-like-em situation, or any benefit for buying some to 'search' for errors, etc?

Comments

• Options
    Dollar2007Dollar2007 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

Where’d you find the mintage figures on these?

• Options

if you select one of the options, it shows you the mintage limit

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    if you select one of the options, it shows you the mintage limit

Oh ok, now I see that. Not sure how much faith I’d put into those numbers. At the very least those should be moved to the product limit column I’d think. Because obviously mintage limit wise all the P mintage limits should match and all the D mintage limits should match across the different product options.

• Options

well, I was just thinking the same thing - they should be under product limit, right? or are they only releasing 1000 rolls of p,d; 32 boxes of p,d; 27 p bags and 21 d bags??? I mean, thats not possible, is it?

• Options

I think, regardless of whats happening here, I'm drawn to pick up a denver bag - maybe the lower mintage/product on that could mean quality control on some of the denver bagged coins, and maybe some errors slipped through into the other bags? 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    I think, regardless of whats happening here, I'm drawn to pick up a denver bag - maybe the lower mintage/product on that could mean quality control on some of the denver bagged coins, and maybe some errors slipped through into the other bags? 🤷‍♂️

I don’t know, I’m not an error collector but it seems they have gotten better on the main errors with these, the missing edge lettering etc that I don’t think I would get this hoping for an error. Also I kind of think this coin will have a higher mintage than other presidential dollars since George H W Bush is more recent and more people may buy these. But if due to Covid they didn’t make many maybe it could be a low minted coin.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 2:58AM

Wait a minute............. did I MISS something? Is this for real? I thought the Presidential $1 series was over & limited to just those Presidents who were DECEASED at the time. So will this be on-going after a waiting period as former Presidents pass away, or require special legislation/exceptions each time? If so, looks like I'll need to go after just 3 pieces each P & D mint for my & the boys' collections to once again keep them up-to-date........

(Update: Yep, it's real.... Not sure how I missed this one.....)

• Options

happy to help 🙂

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I recall (foggy memory on this), that presidents would be added after their deaths..... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBSTrader2 said:
    Wait a minute............. did I MISS something? Is this for real? I thought the Presidential $1 series was over & limited to just those Presidents who were DECEASED at the time. So will this be on-going after a waiting period as former Presidents pass away, or require special legislation/exceptions each time? If so, looks like I'll need to go after just 3 pieces each P & D mint for my & the boys' collections to once again keep them up-to-date........

(Update: Yep, it's real.... Not sure how I missed this one.....)

I almost missed it as well.

Based on the wording of the original legislation, the series ended with the Ronald Reagan dollar. New legislation was enacted to included the George HW Bush in the dollar series and Barbara Bush in the first spouse series.

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not going to buy any from the mint, but I will buy a P&D from eBay for my set.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2021 10:12AM

I'll be buying p and d bags just to look through em - can send anyone interested a p and d for their sets - free of charge for the first 20 takers [edit - all spoken for], once I have bags in-hand [I would normally assume it'd be a sure thing to get these, but w possible low mintages and flippers losing their minds over 2020 mint issues, not going to assume]

• Options

I'll have to see if any trading partners who buy boxes/bags/rolls might be willing to trade or sell just a few to keep our collections up-to-date.

• Options

@Dollar2007 they just clarified 'product limit' in email 20 min ago

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    @Dollar2007 they just clarified 'product limit' in email 20 min ago

Ahh. Good catch. That makes more sense than mintage limits.

• Options

ended up just picking up a george h w bush d-bag instead of a p & d-bag

• Options
    edited December 11, 2020 9:53PM

just starting to pick through the D bag I picked up - not uncommon to find some small deep gouges in em, but overall really sharp looking coins

the edge stamping is hard to photograph, but looks like highest potential for something to go wrong in the process - and also the most maddening to assess on each coin 😅

to my eyes, the spacing between the letters of GEORGE on obv looks kinda funky [G E O RG E; exaggerated] - would be great to see if this is common between the P and D mint versions, if any one picked up some P versions

• Options

indicative of the gouges im seeing across most Ds

• Options

All this talk about "d-bag".
    Just a funny thought.

Chris

• Options
    edited December 12, 2020 10:32AM

what is this surface phenomenon? v hard to photograph, but it looks something like tiger striping - EDITED TO SAY seeing it on both reverses amd obverse; mostly in the fields, and in different areas / distributions from one coin to the next

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    what is this surface phenomenon? v hard to photograph, but it looks something like tiger striping - only seeing it on the reverses, and in different areas / distributions from one coin to the next

The phenomenon you are seeing is what is called “ surface interaction garbagetic refraction.”
    I have seen this several times with mint products.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 12, 2020 9:59AM

The phenomenon you are seeing is what is called “ surface interaction garbagetic refraction.”
    I have seen this several times with mint products.

The next time I talk “Coins” with my 9 year old Grandson I’ll be Sure to use that phrase! :p

• Options

dunno if this means anything - the mint lists the weight of each GHWB $1 @ 8.100g, but every single one from my bag of D is weighing in at 8.070g

inaccurate scale? within reasonable variance? something else?

• Options

The Mint shaving off a little from each to help increase their seignorage? (LOL) ;)

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just when I thought my Presidential Dollar set was finished.....

• Options

I don’t think 1 in 1000 “men on the street” could identify Who that portrait is of.

• Options

@ambro51 said:
    I don’t think 1 in 1000 “men on the street” could identify Who that portrait is of.

I agree. Looks like a typical run-of-the- mill assistant bank manager circa 1950-75.

• Options
    edited December 12, 2020 2:44PM

........or perhaps that guy long ago who told your dad, "Well now, I think I've got just what you're looking for right out here on the lot. Low mileage, well maintained, a nice two- toned paint job, and priced just right. A real beauty. Follow me."....... You know what I'm talking about........a POLITICIAN!

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lips were shaved as a tax for saying “read my lips, no new taxes”! :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

it'd be interesting to cover the identifying info with tape and see if the older generation could make the id.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

another thing that surprised me with these coins - as I'm p neive and not familiar w how edge letters are struck - is that the edge lettering was registered differently on every coin - not only different placement around the perimeter, but sometimes upside-down, relative to other coins in the D-bag

• Options
    edited December 12, 2020 3:07PM

on proof coins the lettering is on a 3 piece collar.

for these, they are minted in collar and then the edge lettering is done afterwards with a castaing machine. the coins go in randomly. some people collect both the letter up and letter down to make their set.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

so cool that these variations exist - admit, after going through the first 100 D dollars, I only looked at the edges on 10-20 of them - probably need to go back through and see if any are missing the edge lettering

this site had a bunch of helpful info on this for the presidential small dollars: http://www.smalldollars.com/dollar/page33.html

• Options

I have to agree that the portrait leaves a lot to be desired. HOWEVER............. it does look like they could almost re-use the same obverse as created for Bush-43 when his time comes.............. looks pretty much the same to me.

• Options

We will never catch up to the Ancient Greeks in depicting the human being on a coin.

• Options

@ambro51 said:
    We will never catch up to the Ancient Greeks in depicting the human being on a coin.

they didn't have to pay union wages.

• Options

@ambro51 said:

Those are wonderful coins and I think that you are absolutely correct.

• Options

Wait! Does that bottom-right Ancient Greek coin qualify as a "human being"?!

• Options

just sharing a view of the average dollar from a phila bag - these coins have 10× as many nicks and dings as their denver counterparts

• Options

not unheard of.

looks like you got the MS60-Z coin

• Options
    edited January 1, 2021 3:59PM

lil chunk left in the lower curve of the S on ghwb phila reverse

[edit - have now found this effect on 8 phila reverses ... what is this?]

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    just sharing a view of the average dollar from a phila bag - these coins have 10× as many nicks and dings as their denver counterparts

Woof! That is brutal.

Why do you think there is a 10x difference between the two mints? Assuming the production processes are the same (are they?), I'd think the variance would depend on where in the big bin that these coins fall into after production your coins are sourced from. Coins at the bottom of these bins will be worse off (like yours) since more coins will fall harder and faster onto them, while coins at the top will be better preserved.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE from what other forum members tell me, it's p common for phila minted coins to have worse surfaces than denver minted coins --- why exactly? I don't know, but apparently a historical trend

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins is this a type of error, or something else? haven't finished searching the phila bag, but it's there on roughly 10% of coins from bag so far

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ looks like a die chip

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2021 7:27PM

thanks, @P0CKETCHANGE - and a die chip is a form of a die break, right? is the phenomenon on these ghwb dollars similar to the I in BIE pennies then? sorry for all the questions, just trying to make sure I understand

• Options

Man!! Those Philly coins look like they've been thru a WAR!! ;)

• Options

@DBSTrader2 it was a challenge to find some clean examples, but found a handful that don't look like georgey boy walked through a thorn bush 😅

• Options

As his son would say............. "Mission Accomplished!!" ;) Thanks! :)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice die chip. Very interesting that the outline of the S is intact.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file