Options

George H.W. Bush Presidential $1 Coin 2020 Rolls, Bags, and Boxes

2»

Comments

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 11:53AM

thanks, @JBK

to assuage any forum members' concerns, I'm not convinced I've struck gold w a major error, I've just been trying to learn what that was and increase my knowledge around how things like this happen — found a total of 9 of this same die chip in my phila bag of ghwb dollars

went back and reviewed my denver ghwb dollars and can now see how much nicer the denver coins are — they've got PL finishes as opposed to phila's rough & tumble surfaces and their collar strikes are SO much cleaner and well defined than the phila coins

don't know what phila is doing so much differently than denver, but its a v noticeable difference

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think for some time Denver mint coins have been recognized as generally better strikes, i.e. hammered.

Supposedly a stack of equal numbers of new D and P coins will show the D stack as slightly taller because the rims/edges are more struck up.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the shutdowns caused by COVID and the ensuring coin shortage have resulted in quality control issues as the Mints work to keep up. If so, perhaps that's happened to a greater extent at Philly.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    I wonder if the shutdowns caused by COVID and the ensuring coin shortage have resulted in quality control issues as the Mints work to keep up. If so, perhaps that's happened to a greater extent at Philly.

I'd believe it - the phila ghwb dollars are by and large p terrible 😅

• Options
    edited January 2, 2021 4:17PM

@JBK said:

Supposedly a stack of equal numbers of new D and P coins will show the D stack as slightly taller because the rims/edges are more struck up.

wow - thx for sharing that - verified this with the ghwb dollars - cool to see

• Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2021 5:18PM

Are they going to have a proof version of the George H. W. Bush dollar$ ... anyone know?

Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options

@baddogss said:
    Are they going to have a proof version of the George H. W. Bush dollar$ ... anyone know?

great question - no idea - they should, as all previous presidential dollar releases had proof versions struck, but who knows

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    what is this surface phenomenon? v hard to photograph, but it looks something like tiger striping - EDITED TO SAY seeing it on both reverses amd obverse; mostly in the fields, and in different areas / distributions from one coin to the next

The technical term may be FINGERPRINT.

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options

@philographer said:

The technical term may be FINGERPRINT.

🎯

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

I don't think the Philly vs Denver differences being debated are due to Covid. My experience has been for a while now that Philly strikes have been embarassingly inferior to Denver strikes, unfortunately.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file