Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photos can be deceiving!

cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

With photos generally the same size, you may not get the real perspective.

So, I picked two medals to demonstrate that!

Here’s photo #1:

Here’s photo #2:

Which is the larger or smaller in reality?

Comments

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wood grain answers the question.

• Options

But, you see the medals were taken in two different rooms, with different flooring.

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 11:27AM
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the 2nd was the smaller due to the loop attached for hanging around the neck on a chain.

WAG

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

bottom is larger

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 11:46AM

I'll guess the first is smaller because of the photo's weaker resolution, a result of enlarging the image.

Is the 2nd photo taken with the camera square to the medal? Or at an angle?
    Lance.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first seems smaller because of the lack of sharpness in the engraving at that magnification.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Knowing how some of those types come...I'm going to say the bottom oval shaped one is smaller!

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

I agree. First is smaller, but also agree that photos can be deceiving.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

2nd smallest of the two

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t tell. Reminds me of the time I ordered a fancy looking backless couch for our front room online. When it arrived it was just 3 feet long. I figured out that it’s meant to sit at the foot of a bed instead of being couch sized. I had wondered why it was so cheap.

Mr_Spud

• Options

The smaller one is 6 inches from top to bottom, and imagine how big the larger one is!!

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think we already knew that about photography.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

didn't expect that size difference.

which one goes on the necklace?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the larger one can double as a shield.......

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'd need an anchor chain to wear that around your neck.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to see you wearing the one with the chain loop attached B)

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

Yes! I was NOT expecting the second medal to be so large! If only Andre the Giant was still alive!!!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Yes! I was NOT expecting the second medal to be so large! If only Andre the Giant was still alive!!!

Dang! I don't even think Flava Flav would try wearing that.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the first one is bigger. The second one is a metal that you might wear around your neck.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that is massive!

• Options

I just measured it, and it is 13 inches from top to bottom.

Here how this looks with me holding it up in front of my chest:

It weighs just under 2 kilos!!! I think that would give someone a real pain in the neck!!!

• Options

@cardinal said:

It weighs just under 2 kilos!!! I think that would give someone a real pain in the neck!!!

Damn, but you don't know how strong my wife's neck is.............lol

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 6:56PM

@AUandAG said:

@cardinal said:

I would assume that your wife's neck is mighty strong. Like most other wives' necks. After all, they dutifully go through life with us husbands hanging on around their necks. And they never complain.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

This post reminds me of that ancient, classic thread where a forum member got negative feedback on eBay because the buyer couldn't believe how small the half dime was that he received. That thread was an all-time great.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...I thought the ARA was smaller but had no clue that the larger medal was that large! Thanks for posting the photos!

K

ANA LM
  • Options

@Hydrant said:

@AUandAG said:

@cardinal said:

I would assume that your wife's neck is mighty strong. Like most other wives' necks. After all, they dutifully go through life with us husbands hanging on around their necks. And they never complain.

HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slightly different question: Is it accurate to refer to that large bronze wall sculpture as a medal?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not a medal it's a plaque!

@cardinal said:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly proves the original statement about how deceptive photographs can be.... I would not have expected how large that one actually is....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Magnificent piece nonetheless! It would command a presence in just about any room hanging on the wall.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at the hardwood floor the bottom appears way bigger

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it foundry or artist signed on the reverse?

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Slightly different question: Is it accurate to refer to that large bronze wall sculpture as a medal?

I have no idea, but would it need to have been "struck" to be considered a medal as opposed to a sculpture?

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 10:00AM

IF you take both items with the same camera, same distance, same lighting same all-around settings, the real truth will show.
    there are many other "tricks" that can be used to show an object in a better "light".Many sellers, especially on Feebay use the camera equipment to their advantage to make the images look better than the item is.
    The masters are the European Auction houses and dealers. Many, use B&W, a method where you see only strong B&W silhouettes and let you guess what grade it is, although they grade then after "their own" grading system. which stretches like a rubber band. I must also say that some of them, the more honest ones, post real pictures.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ModCrewman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I have no idea, but would it need to have been "struck" to be considered a medal as opposed to a sculpture?

No, there are many medals throughout history that are cast rather than struck. The following definitions of plaquette and plaque taken from Dick Johnson's "Encyclopedia Of Coin And Medal Terminology" that was recently reprinted in The E-Sylum may be of help:

"Plaquette. An art relief smaller than eight inches (or more precisely, 20 centimeters), which bears a bas-relief design. While plaquettes are usually considered square, rectangular, or nearly so, they appear in a variety of shapes, and can be somewhat more creative with silhouetted, open work, sunken relief, or other sculptural techniques. Plaquettes do not share the restrictions of a round medallic item. In effect, plaquettes are the most artistic – and because they can be easily mounted – the most utilitarian form of medallic art.

Unlike plaques, which are always uniface and larger than eight inches, plaquettes occasionally have a reverse design, particularly those that are diestruck since they are struck with two dies. Otherwise plaquettes have been made by every method that can reproduce a bas-relief design: many forms of casting, electroforming, repoussé, niello, and forging."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file