Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Old Holder Auction!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 23, 2020 6:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone excited about the old holder auction?

I've been looking for a PCGS white label but haven't found one yet.

Old holders, lowballs what is the collecting world coming to??

Here's the lowball headline auction where I picked up some pieces.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked through the sale and it just looked like a bunch of “stuff”

• Options
    edited November 23, 2020 7:09PM

@Boosibri said:

I looked through it a bit too but have more to do.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 8:32PM

I did a quick pass over and I did not see anything that I could not live without. I'll take a closer look but for the most part these looked like the usual items that are overhyped for the holder and get passed around the bourse floor without finding a home.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

It may be titled as an "old holder" auction, but whoever set up the catalog missed the boat. The thumbnails are of the coins and you need to click on the lot to see the "old holder." And the back label of the slab images are covered with the "Stacks Bowers" logo. Whoops!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Ha Ha do the coins themselves even matter?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many of those older holders will loose all or part of their back label? I detest stickers although I do realize they are needed. I wish auction houses would just drop the advertising labels and just affix a lot number to the top of the slab like Heritage does now(they still put a label over the back label but at least they have learned to apply it loosely.

@astrorat said:
    It may be titled as an "old holder" auction, but whoever set up the catalog missed the boat. The thumbnails are of the coins and you need to click on the lot to see the "old holder." And the back label of the slab images are covered with the "Stacks Bowers" logo. Whoops!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never understood the attraction of old slabs. JMO of course, but I am interested in coins, not the slabs. This is good for slab collectors though, since I will not be competing with them :D;) Moving right along... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t want to pay a premium just because it’s an older slab but I do like older slabs because it generally means the coin has been stable for a given period of time. That’s a bit of reassurance when it comes to things like a copper coin’s color, silver’s color, etc.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

There’s definitely a market for old holders. Personally I think the newer generation gold shield holders are the best in the industry, but those old white rattlers, and Regency holders command huge premiums....if you can find them.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have never understood the attraction of old slabs. JMO of course, but I am interested in coins, not the slabs. This is good for slab collectors though, since I will not be competing with them :D;) Moving right along... Cheers, RickO

I agree with you form a technical perspective but the attributes of the coin are one thing but the liquidity of your investment is another. For a pure collector it shouldn’t matter but for the people who will liquidate the collection it does. Older holders add appeal with equals more bids. That is a good thing with collectibles and matters.

• Options

@Crypto... I completely agree with your statement. Since I do not sell coins, that is an issue I do not consider. Certainly all aspects of the market should be considered when selling - and there are avid slab collectors. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Crypto.... Happy Thanksgiving Crypto.... Was there supposed to be a picture attached to your post? "a newp of mine..." Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Crypto.... Happy Thanksgiving Crypto.... Was there supposed to be a picture attached to your post? "a newp of mine..." Cheers, RickO

I had to dig out the photos. It takes tech limited guys like myself a sec

• Options

@Crypto.... I know the feeling.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did someone say "Old Holders"?? Wahoo - they are finally getting their due!!! :D:D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stickers on the back are a real issue - if the hologram get's injured or hides an issue, I'll just return
    them .......

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:

@ricko said:
    @Crypto... I completely agree with your statement. Since I do not sell coins, that is an issue I do not consider. Certainly all aspects of the market should be considered when selling - and there are avid slab collectors. Cheers, RickO

Happy thanksgiving Ricko, I wish the hobby was more guys like you than the flippers.

a newp of mine to further the conversation

I chased that one but it went too high. Congrats.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Stacks needs to stop using their stupid logo over the stickers, completely agree. So annoying.

It is stopping me from bidding on at least two lots in that auction, and I refuse to go out of my way to teach a coin auction company running an old holder auction the nuances of old holders. They should already know it! Come on Stacks!

To those who denigrate collecting older holders, these slabs are 30+ years old now and attrition is still getting to the nice coins in them at a pretty intense rate. So when a guy like myself hangs things up and decides to dump his collection on the market, you're gonna see 100-200 coins in 50+ year old holders that have been off the market for 10 years at a minimum, and in some cases 30+ years. I firmly believe old holders will continue to draw higher and higher premiums as time goes on due to both perception and scarcity.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Old holders, lowballs what is the collecting world coming to??

Paying to have COA’s slabbed.

We just need a slabbed COA auction now!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I wonder how many of those older holders will loose all or part of their back label? I detest stickers although I do realize they are needed. I wish auction houses would just drop the advertising labels and just affix a lot number to the top of the slab like Heritage does now(they still put a label over the back label but at least they have learned to apply it loosely.

@astrorat said:

I thought the Stacks Bowers "stickers" were electronic and used to mark the image. And I agree with you about stickers on the back labels of the older slabs. I know there have been some damage done to back labels and embossed logos.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

@ricko said:

The attraction for me is the connection to how the approach to grading has evolved over the past half century. I look at collecting "old holders" the same was as collecting other nostalgic numismatic ephemera. One of the neatest part of numismatics is there are so many different ways to enjoy the hobby.

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options

@DelawareDoons said:

@Crypto said:

@ricko said:

Happy thanksgiving Ricko, I wish the hobby was more guys like you than the flippers.

You need to drink more like me. It makes escalating that much easier :p

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

I looked, too. Nothing that I have to have, and nothing I'd pay a premium for just because of the holder.

• Options

@Crypto said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@Crypto said:

@ricko said:

You need to drink more like me. It makes escalating that much easier :p

The problem was money, not fortitude. :(

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crypto
    Wow! Great pickup. That makes one stand up and pay attention. Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file