Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's the most BEAUTIFUL coin you ever held?

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Money isn't everything.

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the Ultra High Relief Saint Gaudens double eagle. One of the few modern gold coins worth owning. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny you ask, it might be one of the same ones I put in the other thread. That Octagonal PanPac was to die for ... and if I remember correctly, it came back as a 66.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what that would be as I’ve held a lot of great looking coins. I would probably say all the high end gold I’ve held. Love gold....

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

The next one.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the Buffalo design and I love gold so I guess the simple gold proof Buffalo from a purely technical point of view would be at or near the top.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

Proof gold 1839 "Una and the Lion" £5 is up there.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

BagBurn . . . . . . . . .

Drunner

• ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Sommer Island Shilling. It was Breathtaking!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another beautiful coin is the Panama-Pacific Gold $2.5 obverse with Miss Liberty riding on the back of a Hippocampus (a mythological creature that half horse and half sea serpent) while holding a caduceus.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    The next one.

This.

Ken
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:

@PerryHall said:
    Agree with the Ultra High Relief Saint Gaudens double eagle. One of the few modern gold coins worth owning. B)

While far harder to own, I'll choose the original Ultra High Relief as the most beautiful coin I've held (from the ANS). This picture really doesn't do it justice:

That's interesting. I've never liked the way most high relief coins look - the originals, that is. They just didn't generally strike up very well.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since the topic is one that has actually been held, I would have to say the High Relief Saint Gaudens... I went back to a dealers table three times at a show in the PNW, just to pick it up again.... Was very close to buying it, but was dealing with a major life event at the time. I still think about that beauty. Cheers, RickO

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any coin my beautiful wife has in her possession.

peacockcoins

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great question - It hasn't happened yet.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Any coin my beautiful wife has in her possession.

Trying to get a raise in your coin budget for 2021? Well played.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the Rare Coin Wholesalers (RCW) I was allowed to hold the 1794 Dollar before
    TDN bought it a few years later. Also at their table I had the chance to hold the
    silver version of the "School Girl" dollar.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 6:16PM

I have a couple variations of this design but I'll flash the gold as my only gold coin for now.

• SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1907 St. Gaudens High Relief double eagle, graded NGC PR69. I tried not to drool on it...

• PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 7:10PM

The coin I talked about, with another collector who I didn't know, at a local auction.

The coin I discussed with a friend at a coin club meeting.

The discussion with a YN about a coin they purchased, and asking for my opinion when I think they value my thought's too much...

Those are the most beautiful coins, and are albums I hope to fill as we share these moments together.

The most beautiful coins are those that establish connections, friendships, and memories.

So many holes, so little time. :'(

• JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SmEagle1795 said:

@PerryHall said:

While far harder to own, I'll choose the original Ultra High Relief as the most beautiful coin I've held (from the ANS). This picture really doesn't do it justice:

That looks awfully familiar!

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you guys don’t mind me going Darkside but I absolutely love this design

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Money isn't everything.

It says beautiful, not most expensive. :#

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa-that's just gorgeous!

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

send me all your beautiful coins, so that i may hold them 🤲

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

1804 $10 pcgs pr65+ dcam ex simpson

Ive been dreaming about owning it since so many years ago when I saw it.
    Now that its for sale Ill get the chance!

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've held lots of truly beautiful coins but the one that leapt to mind is actually a pretty "cheap" coin.

It was a 1797 two penny cartwheel from GB. The coin was just simply stunning and perfect. It was only mostly red but the color was very nice and there was no marking at all. It was fully struck from almost brand new dies. Neither the owner nor I had enough knowledge of these to know whether it was a proof or a BU. It's appearance was BU but one doesn't expect a nearly two century (at that time) coin to be so perfect unless it's a proof.

At the time it was probably only a $100 coin and I probably could get it at a steep discount but I foolishly passed on it. Today it would be a PF or MS-68 and everyone would fight over it. At the time I could pick up true rarities like a 1970 Russian mint set for a few dollars if I could just find one or Gem examples of moderns that are usually poorly made for 50c.

I shouldda picked it up instead of making a low ball offer.

Now days, ugly low grade circulated examples of this coin sell for what that one would have cost me.

Tempus fugit.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it would have been a 1955/55 Unc cent.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 11:01PM

@cladking said:
    I've held lots of truly beautiful coins but the one that leapt to mind is actually a pretty "cheap" coin.

It was a 1797 two penny cartwheel from GB. The coin was just simply stunning and perfect. It was only mostly red but the color was very nice and there was no marking at all. It was fully struck from almost brand new dies. Neither the owner nor I had enough knowledge of these to know whether it was a proof or a BU. It's appearance was BU but one doesn't expect a nearly two century (at that time) coin to be so perfect unless it's a proof.

At the time it was probably only a $100 coin and I probably could get it at a steep discount but I foolishly passed on it. Today it would be a PF or MS-68 and everyone would fight over it. At the time I could pick up true rarities like a 1970 Russian mint set for a few dollars if I could just find one or Gem examples of moderns that are usually poorly made for 50c.

I shouldda picked it up instead of making a low ball offer.

Now days, ugly low grade circulated examples of this coin sell for what that one would have cost me.

That's an impressive coin in any grade as long as it's not all beat up. I have an extremely fine example. To see one in the grade you saw would be amazing! Most all of the circulated ones have those nasty rim bumps. Mine doesn't have any.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would the Dolly Madison commem work

• MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 9:20PM

Since I am located in Canada 1936 Dot dime from Canada graded PCGS SP-68 (I believe it was a 68 and not a 66) only 5 known one of the top Canadian coins. Worth 250k that is a whole lot for a Canadian coin not many have that type of value and rarity.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Smithsonian ultra high relief Saint. The regular design is one of the best ever. The high relief is spectacular. The UHR is such an exceptional piece of art and blows the other version out of the water.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2020 9:28PM

A HR Saint i was able to hold at one of the Baltimore shows.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    The Smithsonian ultra high relief Saint. The regular design is one of the best ever. The high relief is spectacular. The UHR is such an exceptional piece of art and blows the other version out of the water.

Completely agree. I've seen the UHR many times but I've never held it per the OPs question.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

I used to have these two but in lower grade (1906-D MS63 nice surface, no serious mark, graded by NGC and a well worn out evenly yellow color gold 1913-S ANACS XF-45). I also had a perfect looking (at least MS68) Morgan Silver dollar which I could look at for a long time without getting bored due to its puffy cheek, no visible mark or defect whatsoever.

• Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

An evenly toned midnight blue, fully struck 1799 Heraldic Eagle Bust Dollar in MS 64. It was in a 4 holder because the toning was slightly on the dark side. The coin was unblemished. Never seen another dollar of that series like this one, and I've seen quite a few of them over the years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file