Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1965 Quarter Verification

Hi Everyone,

I'm a UK coin collector that has just started getting in to US coins. I've been doing it for a few months now, and I'm finding it very interesting. I am a bit stuck at the moment however with identifying a 1965 Washington quarter which I cherry picked from a hard plastic SMS set. I'm pretty sure it's just a case of machine doubling and not a variety, but just wanted to run it by the experts for confirmation of what it is. I've added a few pictures to look at and a google cloud link to view for more detailed pictures if required.

Many thanks in advance.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QB_Re7F77sO_JXuUEDWZVT2Y2kmRsSZY?usp=sharing

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin was struck from very worn dies.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options

Thanks for the information Oldhoopster.
    Does that mean that it is just worth face value then?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW-welcome!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Diamond70

Great pictures!

Yes, it appears it came from fatigued (worn) dies. Probably worth more than Face Value (I certainly wouldn't spend it) but hard to say how much more. Maybe one of the Washington Clad people will chime in.

Looks like it would grade pretty well, although the costs may not be worth the effort.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@koynekwest said:
    BTW-welcome!

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Welcome @Diamond70

Great pictures!

Yes, it appears it came from fatigued (worn) dies. Probably worth more than Face Value (I certainly wouldn't spend it) but hard to say how much more. Maybe one of the Washington Clad people will chime in.

Looks like it would grade pretty well, although the costs may not be worth the effort.

Thanks Todd, Very much appreciated :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Diamond70... Welcome aboard.... Worn dies and some wear....No numismatic premium, but good for your 'education' file.... Great pictures by the way... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics!
    Nice example of worn dies.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. Great Photos. As said, if you become an album filler this would be a nice coin to place in the album.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Diamond70Diamond70 Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 11:43AM

@ricko said:
    @Diamond70... Welcome aboard.... Worn dies and some wear....No numismatic premium, but good for your 'education' file.... Great pictures by the way... Cheers, RickO

Thanks Rick, It's definitely good for the education file, I'm making notes!
    Thanks for the thumbs up about the pictures, I appreciate the feedback.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2020 11:41AM

@jesbroken said:
    Welcome to the forum. Great Photos. As said, if you become an album filler this would be a nice coin to place in the album.
    Jim

Thanks Jim, I'm chuffed to bits that you think the photos are that good!
    I will definitely be looking into the possibility of being an album filler if the images can add to the knowledge base, I'm all for that :) Thanks again.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 12:14PM

Hi and welcome aboard. Good pics, like mentioned. You say this came from the SMS, 1965 "hard plastic"? Only the SMS 1966 and '67's came from the famous blue rectangular boxes inside that hard plastic you mentioned. The SMS 1965's came in a cellophane pack inside an white envelope?
    Maybe, your quarter is that of the business strike? Such as my 1965? Just to throw that out to ya. Once again, welcome to the forum. :)

Here is my "business strike" 1965.

MS 66

1965, 66 and 67

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@joeykoins said:
    Hi and welcome aboard. Good pics, like mentioned. You say this came from the SMS, 1965 "hard plastic"? Only the SMS 1966 and '67's came from the famous blue rectangular boxes inside that hard plastic you mentioned. The SMS 1965's came in a cellophane pack inside an white envelope?
    Maybe, your quarter is that of the business strike? Such as my 1965? Just to throw that out to ya. Once again, welcome to the forum. :)

Hey Joey,
    Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the stamp of approval for the pics :)
    You make a great point about there being no actual instances of 1965 SMS sets that are encased in hard plastic, I remember reading that somewhere as it goes.

The explanation that I read to account for this is that the US Mint began striking these Special US Mint Set in 1966 but initially with a backdate of 1965 to 1967, these sets were constructed of hard plastic which encased the coins.

The full blurb reads: "1965 - 1967 Special US Mint Sets were issued to fulfil a demand by collectors for a numismatic product containing examples of the circulating coins released those years. The need of such a set arose from the fact that the US Mint, beginning in 1965, opted to cancel both the Proof and Mint Sets. A complete cancellation of annual sets would not last long, however the Mint began striking these Special US Mint Set in 1966 but initially with a backdate of 1965 to 1967, these sets were constructed of hard plastic which encased the coins."

Whether its factual I don't know but I would definitely be very interested to get to the bottom of it.

I managed to dig out some pictures of the original hard plastic case that they came in, but it seems to be missing the blue insert sleeve. Maybe it was taken out afterwards?

The plot thickens! :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://coinweek.com/modern-coins/collecting-the-special-mint-set-coins-of-1965-1967/

The 1965 Special Mint Set was issued in pliable plastic packaging similar to the Proof and Uncirculated sets of the previous decade. The 1965 set contains a single Pliofilm packet with six sealed pockets, five containing each of the five coins and the sixth housing a navy blue and silver plastic token with a silhouetted design of a heraldic eagle and the words “UNITED STATES SPECIAL MINT SET”. The set comes with a certificate describing the new set, and all these materials are packaged together in a cream-colored outer paper envelope.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Diamond70 said:

@joeykoins said:

Hey Joey,
    You make a great point about there being no actual instances of 1965 SMS sets that are encased in hard plastic, I remember reading that somewhere as it goes.

The explanation that I read to account for this is that the US Mint began striking these Special US Mint Set in 1966 but initially with a backdate of 1965 to 1967, these sets were constructed of hard plastic which encased the coins.

The full blurb reads: "1965 - 1967 Special US Mint Sets were issued to fulfil a demand by collectors for a numismatic product containing examples of the circulating coins released those years. The need of such a set arose from the fact that the US Mint, beginning in 1965, opted to cancel both the Proof and Mint Sets. A complete cancellation of annual sets would not last long, however the Mint began striking these Special US Mint Set in 1966 but initially with a backdate of 1965 to 1967, these sets were constructed of hard plastic which encased the coins."

Whether its factual I don't know but I would definitely be very interested to get to the bottom of it.

I managed to dig out some pictures of the original hard plastic case that they came in, but it seems to be missing the blue insert sleeve. Maybe it was taken out afterwards?

Hi Diamond70,

Your coins look like they may be UNC business strikes, rather than SMS. The late die state on the quarter is certainly more consistent with a business strike coin, and to my eye, all of the coins look more like business strike than SMS in terms of the luster.

It's not uncommon to see aftermarket sets like yours that were put together by someone other than the mint. Not a bad thing - they are still uncirculated coins - but unlikely to be SMS, in my opinion.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 3:57PM

@Diamond70 said:

@joeykoins said:

Hey Joey,

Your set is a "put together" set possibly made for collectors of business strike coins.
    It was assembled by a 3rd party, and while the coins are of US mint issue, they aren't SMS examples.
    As a previous poster noted, the 1965 sets were issued in a package nearly identical to proof sets issued 1956-64 (and some 1955 as well.)
    Welcome to the world of "across the pond" coins.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2020 6:08PM

@IkesT said:

@Diamond70 said:

@joeykoins said:

Hey Joey,

Hi Diamond70,

Your coins look like they may be UNC business strikes, rather than SMS. The late die state on the quarter is certainly more consistent with a business strike coin, and to my eye, all of the coins look more like business strike than SMS in terms of the luster.

It's not uncommon to see aftermarket sets like yours that were put together by someone other than the mint. Not a bad thing - they are still uncirculated coins - but unlikely to be SMS, in my opinion.

@mannie gray said:

@Diamond70 said:

@joeykoins said:

Hey Joey,

Your set is a "put together" set possibly made for collectors of business strike coins.
    It was assembled by a 3rd party, and while the coins are of US mint issue, they aren't SMS examples.
    As a previous poster noted, the 1965 sets were issued in a package nearly identical to proof sets issued 1956-64 (and some 1955 as well.)
    Welcome to the world of "across the pond" coins.

Thanks Mannie and Ikes, Very useful information and very much appreciated you're taking the time to pass it on. Puzzle solved :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file