Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jabs Family 72 OPC wax break

2»

Comments

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

@1954 said:
    At some point the value of vending boxes is going to gain in value. Currently from the 70's and 80's vending boxes bring 30-40% of the value of an unopened box. It has been in my experience that the front 10 and the back 10 cards are affected in a vending box. That leaves 480 cards of really nrmt/mt or better examples available to the collector. This would be a much better break value for the breakers than a box but I guess they have not figured this one out yet.

Or how about factory sets? You are even guaranteed the star cards. I guess it has to do with the "unknown" factor.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    isn't this the same guy that runs over kids at pirates batting practice while shagging balls w fishing nets and sells them off as being game used balls?

Same guy. He's also the guy who's live feed I once watched years ago was in the middle of a break and his wife crying and screaming in agony in the background and asking to be taken to the hospital. This went on for like an hour and he basically ignored her the whole time and continued with the break. The entire chat channel was telling I'm to take her to the hospital as well. He did hesitate a couple of times to consider doing that but he couldn't tear himself away from the break so he continued as his sobbing wife screamed in agony to go to the hospital. Quite the family man.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2020 3:53PM

@ArtVandelay said:

@blurryface said:
    isn't this the same guy that runs over kids at pirates batting practice while shagging balls w fishing nets and sells them off as being game used balls?

Same guy. He's also the guy who's live feed I once watched years ago was in the middle of a break and his wife crying and screaming in agony in the background and asking to be taken to the hospital. This went on for like an hour and he basically ignored her the whole time and continued with the break. The entire chat channel was telling I'm to take her to the hospital as well. He did hesitate a couple of times to consider doing that but he couldn't tear himself away from the break so he continued as his sobbing wife screamed in agony to go to the hospital. Quite the family man.

please tell me there’s a link for this? this could be one of the funniest scenarios to occur during a break. envisioning an SNL skit w horatio sanz and kristen wigg in my head.

i think this coupled w the fishnets, knocking kids over, selling bp balls as game used and simply the ignorance of not knowing the potholes of what hes breaking that he doesnt deserve a dime back on these 72s. not that he shoulda got any type of refund in the first place. but now im kinda happy he screwed himself over. sounds like karma.

and not only should he eat every penny, he should also have to chew every piece of gum.

• Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

The most upsetting part for me is the fact that he is not taking any accountability for his lack of knowledge on 72 OPC product and its notorious gum issues. Instead, he is whining about getting him money back from an unsuspecting seller who also did not know card condition.

What the seller did know is he sold Jabs a sealed box authenticated by the best authenticator in the hobby.

I actually spent a minute reading some of the comments on YouTube about the incident and it's disgusting to see how many people agree that the seller should offer a refund for....get this..."water damage".

Unbelievable

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 8:11AM

Some of the comments on that break video are brutal. I saw a few stating that BBCE should open a pack from these boxes to verify card condition. LOL Oh man where does the turnip truck come from that carries these people.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just wait until newbies start trying to return modern boxes when they don't pull a top rookie. I know it's salesmanship and hype, but I think it is a bad idea when ebay sellers list all of the rookies in the box. Most buyers on ebay know the rookies for each year or can look it up elsewhere. Putting the rookies that could be pulled in the listings is just inviting someone to try to file a SNAD when they don't pull one.

Mike
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, this is what the new entrants to the hobby are going to expect, perfect, PSA 10 worthy cards, all the time. The hobby has been moving this way for a while and we shall get what we deserve.

@ndleo said:
    Just wait until newbies start trying to return modern boxes when they don't pull a top rookie. I know it's salesmanship and hype, but I think it is a bad idea when ebay sellers list all of the rookies in the box. Most buyers on ebay know the rookies for each year or can look it up elsewhere. Putting the rookies that could be pulled in the listings is just inviting someone to try to file a SNAD when they don't pull one.

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 302 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 9:47AM

@softparade said:
    Some of the comments on that break video are brutal. I saw a few stating that BBCE should open a pack from these boxes to verify card condition. LOL Oh man where does the turnip truck come from that carries these people.

he has a cult-like following... these folks operate under a different set of facts.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2020 10:18AM

@ndleo said:

100% correct. I once had a SNAD case filed against me because I had mentioned Henderson in a listing for a 1980 rack pack and buyer was refunded because Henderson was not pulled (or so she claimed). Since then, I never mention names of players possible in the pack, in the rare cases I sell anything on ebay.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2020 10:34AM

definitely the newbs generation of expecting things or "getting their hustles" on. it gets pretty sickening. however as much as i want to blame them, i kinda put a lot of this on panini themselves. the fact that you can return any card that is damaged along w the wrapper or a box that didn't contain said hits for a full replacement is kinda what is misguiding these youngsters or newbs that if you didn't get what you are expecting or you did, but it was damaged that you are "entitled" to be made whole. complete bs. i can't tell you how many modern cards i've pulled that have been oc, contain heavy surface scratches or a whole host of other issues, i have never taken panini up on their replacement program outta sheer principle. maybe i'm the idiot for not playing the new game, but i prefer to sleep well instead.

• Options
    edited November 24, 2020 1:32PM

@grote15 said:

@ndleo said:

100% correct. I once had a SNAD case filed against me because I had mentioned Henderson in a listing for a 1980 rack pack and buyer was refunded because Henderson was not pulled (or so she claimed). Since then, I never mention names of players possible in the pack, in the rare cases I sell anything on ebay.

Wow that's crazy Tim. Great practice not hyping those potential pulls that rarely happen! e-Bay FOR ME is a last resort sell place or a place to go top dollar fishing.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

For what Panini is charging for new releases they probably should be taking back damaged cards

• Options

@ndleo said:

This is exactly right, and why breaks sold on eBay are not supposed to list any of the key cards in item description. eBay even gives you a pop-up "Are you sure you don't have any of that crap in here, because break listings are barely tolerated here" screen to click and re-confirm before your listing goes live.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    those comments are crazy. I honestly do not think anyone deserves any kind of a refund. Steve authenticated the box as authentic. He cannot be expected to know if there is any sort of damage that has happened inside the wrapper. Jabs does not deserve a refund, neither do the people who bought individual packs from him. He should just ship out the cards and remaining packs to those who purchased them.

I mean, good grief, are we to expect refunds now for OC cards coming from packs?

Well, you're right on the comments. SMH, honestly Jabs should shut that down and explain Steve did nothing wrong (again!). Jabs should pin a comment reiterating that, seriously.

In any case, the buyers of the break lucked out, because Jabs is refunding everyone 100%. He is just biting the bullet on it, possibly going open the rest of the packs, hope to pull a few slab worthies and make back some of his -$5300. Bought lesson is a learned lesson.

Jabs takes some criticism around here, so only fair to give him some credit for taking the hit on this one.

• Options
    edited November 25, 2020 10:03PM

@WaveofCards said:

@craig44 said:

Jabs takes some criticism around here, so only fair to give him some credit for taking the hit on this one.

zero credit given. do i expect credit for not robbing a bank this morning? "hey everybody, praise me. i didn't shoot a guard or rob a bank this morning". he should be biting the bullet. that's what happens when you break vintage product. esp 72 opc.

what happened to him could of happened to anybody. BUT everyone else knows to just bite the bullet. expecting ANY type of credit after attempting to tarnish the seller and bbce is complete and utter bs. allowing his minions to make unwarranted threats and barrage the seller/bbce with false claims and innuendos is just as unscrupulous. especially steve. this is his livelihood. this is what puts food on his family's table. plus he's already had to deal w this clown before. and was the bigger guy and gave the guy a free box.

but back to the 72s. before he even began to sell slots, there should have been a clear and concise disclaimer about the possible and most likely damage due to the gum and first two cards. period, end of story. but he didn't. he then decided to temporarily and to save face from embarrassment, throw 2 other individuals to the lions. attempting to request an ebay refund is even more busch league. trying to white knight after all the above is the biggest clown move of all.

so yea, i'll give the guy credit. he's the biggest @$$ clown around. i wish him nothing but off centered gum stained cards during the rest of the box and will keep a very close eye out for any fresh 72opc packs that hit ebay and just what type of description they have.

there is a honest way to dig himself out of the hole w the remaining packs most likely, but i don't want to divulge any info that might actually help this guy.

enjoy your lesson well jabs. i know i did watching it.

"play stupid games, win stupid prizes" 🤡

• Options
    edited November 25, 2020 10:01PM

@galaxy27 said:
    i almost exclusively collect golf cards. i know all about 72 OPC unopened. rest assured a guy who is raking in substantial amounts of coin and publicizing breaks knew what he was delving into. trust me, he knew full well that he could leap backwards off of a cliff and -- worst-case scenario -- be saved by the safety net that eBay inexplicably provides for buyers.

in other words, he is a complete and utter douchebag who is trying to game the system, if need be. i for one hope his little scheme backfires in his unscrupulous face

The faster the hobby digests and poops out MORONS like this the better. I can't believe the following TBH. Moths to a flame. SMH

• Options

I remember when I realized this guy was a fraudster was after watching his flea market videos. He's wandering around getting super excited to find an Andy Van Slyke RC saying he didn't have this one. The first video I thought nothing of it. The next one where he did it again I thought it was odd. The 3rd time I was like what is up with the guy so I found his eBay. The same guy getting excited 80's junk wax dollar cards and boxes was selling $5k boxes of modern, High end PSA, etc. Obviously, his act on youtube is just that...an act.

Then I noticed his "fan mail". How this guy has "fans" is beyond me. People sent him amazing stuff. I've seen him receive a full 1960 Topps Baseball set, Mike Trout Rookies, and much more from his fans. Guess what they get back in return? 1988 Donruss wax boxes or similar junk wax if anything.

Then he figured out "super chat" which allowed his moronic fanbase to give him money so he would read their comment. His normal fan mail segments which went 30 minutes now got drawn out to 3+ hours because the longer he could keep people in the chat the more likely they would "donate". The guy was pulling 1k an hour just from idiots giving him money to read their comments. Some lonely people out there!

Then came his Patreon scam. Become a Patreon member for $50+ a month and he will send you something. Well, the suckers just lined up and again he was getting 10's of thousands of dollars monthly. Oh, remember those flea market videos where he picked up all that junk wax crap??? you guessed it, he just took the box of cards he bought for a couple of bucks and shipped it to his patron members.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't get me wrong, I think jabs is a clown, but I still don't understand why people who bought into the break deserve a refund any more than jabs himself is owed one for the box.

Jabs received an unopened bbce authenticated box. Each customer received one pack from said box. I don't think any description about condition of individual cards was ever given.

Is not gum damage the same as was stains, OC, MC, surface problems etc?? Seems that no one is at fault and everyone needs to take their lumps here.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited November 26, 2020 7:33AM

@craig44 said:
    Don't get me wrong, I think jabs is a clown, but I still don't understand why people who bought into the break deserve a refund any more than jabs himself is owed one for the box.

Jabs received an unopened bbce authenticated box. Each customer received one pack from said box. I don't think any description about condition of individual cards was ever given.

Is not gum damage the same as was stains, OC, MC, surface problems etc?? Seems that no one is at fault and everyone needs to take their lumps here.

i give the customers a slight break, pun intended, here because they are his sheep. while i haven't watched any of his breaking vids to date, i'm sure he hyped this one up pretty good. granted there was no gun to their heads but w/o any disclosure of possible windfalls from the shepard, they were just simply lost to the snake oil.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opening ANY packs that contain gum is a gamble.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Maybe he could put in a claim against
    OPC for not telling customers to refrigerate after opening the case.

I also watched a video of someone opening one of his subscription boxes. $100 level. Let’s just say you could have used that $100 bill in the bathroom for a
    certain wiping activity and got better value.

• Options

I tend to agree with you Craig but he made one flaw which dictates that he refund all those in the break. He did not disclose the problem of buying into that break (the gum issue). This alone dictates that he should refund all of them their money back. If you are going to make a business out of breaking sports cards full disclosure of any issues regarding a product that you are selling is a must especially when the box is a $5k box of vintage 1972 OPC cards. I'm sure he didn't know because he put no effort into researching it but that definitely does not mean he is not libel and should pay the money back.

The other issue I have is that he has made no public apology to BBCE. His actions have actually damaged BBCE. The 1000+ people that watch and participate in his breaks would all be considered existing or potential customers of BBCE as the products being opened on his channel many times are vintage wax. If he is portraying BBCE in a negative light then BBCE's business could be impacted in a very negative way.

• Options

It's not on the same level with a 1972 OPC Was Box but Jabs Family broke what turned out to be one of the worst 1981 Donruss boxes of all-time a year ago. He got the double whammy of horrible gum stains/bleeding and atrocious collation that's a hallmark of many 1981 Donruss wax boxes. He was actually laughing himself by the end of the rip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idvOXhb-9FE&ab_channel=JabsFamily&fbclid=IwAR2j4RZFX5uJIZaWRevsT8g8Vahl4L6N8ULRMX3v6uhkQ-ubM-bfv80jlJM

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that he should publicly apologize to bbce.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rbsalezman said:
    It's not on the same level with a 1972 OPC Was Box but Jabs Family broke what turned out to be one of the worst 1981 Donruss boxes of all-time a year ago. He got the double whammy of horrible gum stains/bleeding and atrocious collation that's a hallmark of many 1981 Donruss wax boxes. He was actually laughing himself by the end of the rip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idvOXhb-9FE&ab_channel=JabsFamily&fbclid=IwAR2j4RZFX5uJIZaWRevsT8g8Vahl4L6N8ULRMX3v6uhkQ-ubM-bfv80jlJM

i just died laughing.........and came back to life so i could watch this again

• Options

@rbsalezman said:

He even acknowledges that FASC doesn't mean glorious cards. That if they aren't stored correctly the gum can destroy most of the packs. So WHAT THE HELL ....

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I watched a recent break of his, and whoever the seller was did not give Jabs a refund. Which I think is good on the seller. I wouldn't have given a refund either. That's the risk you take. Jabs said he is going to refund everyone in the break and eat the packs. I dunno, I think I would just take the pack as is and get it slabbed, but that's just me.

• Options

He'll probably start a GoFundMe page and end up with 100k+ from his sheep.

• Options

still no apology from him?

• Options
    RyansRustRyansRust Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

Opened 3 72 OPC packs from my LCS. All the cards were ruined iirc. Knew of the risk when I purchased them. Had I not known, that would be my fault.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I agree that he should publicly apologize to bbce.

BaseBallCardExchange has always been very good to me.

• Options

No doubt he deserved what he got for opening the box (thx for increasing the value of all mine!).....

With that said, he’s not the only one on this thread who has sheep for followers.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

Jabs opened the rest of the packs in the box:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjCeLNgFyN8&t=560s

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy is an idiot.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

so this guy doesn't even have a resale certificate and is paying sales tax too?

he should just mainline the gum. "idiot" is being extremely nice! 😉

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

He still doesn't get it. There is an inherent risk in this hobby. People who sell old boxes or packs don't have x-ray vision. It's like a box of chocolates: you don't know what you're gonna get.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 9:14PM

If only they put MCDs cheese burgers in each pack this would have never happened!