Home U.S. Coin Forum

1901 barber quarter grade

Matthew17Matthew17 Posts: 76
edited November 18, 2020 5:13PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Wanted to see if y'all think this is the correct grade for this coin. I thought it looked ok to me.

Comments

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

For what it is, yes

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Net Graded from 35 IMHO.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

40 was my WAG.....must have been down graded due to cleaning.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • @AUandAG said:
    40 was my WAG.....must have been down graded due to cleaning.

Do you think 18 is a good deal? I think its not to bad.

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not often that ICG gets one right.

18 is ok if that discoloring on the reverse is not environmental damage. Not for me.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

For 18, if you are okay with the cleaning, it's not a bad looking coin. The reverse toning will have multiple colors in hand, and does not look cleaned necessarily. It has some meat left, for sure.

I also disagree with what was said about ICG. If you are looking at circulated coins, especially "details" coins, I think ICG has done a pretty good job with their consistency. All bets are off for Choice examples and Uncirculated material. Those require a good eye.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • @pursuitofliberty said:
    For 18, if you are okay with the cleaning, it's not a bad looking coin. The reverse toning will have multiple colors in hand, and does not look cleaned necessarily. It has some meat left, for sure.

I also disagree with what was said about ICG. If you are looking at circulated coins, especially "details" coins, I think ICG has done a pretty good job with their consistency. All bets are off for Choice examples and Uncirculated material. Those require a good eye.

Yea I think they do a pretty good job on grading like you said on the ms65 and up I would be Leary especially on morgan dollars.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 Details looks like a fair assessment for that coin. Not one I would purchase, but the price seems reasonable. Cheers, RickO

• @ricko said:
    30 Details looks like a fair assessment for that coin. Not one I would purchase, but the price seems reasonable. Cheers, RickO

Thanks

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

A coin to be avoided. The obverse has been harshly cleaned. For coins like that the price needs to be more than "reasonable" it needs to be just plain cheap.

All glory is fleeting.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd pass due to the cleaning. To me it's worth the value of the silver in it is all.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

Seems decently graded. I'd pass

• @AUandAG said:
    I'd pass due to the cleaning. To me it's worth the value of the silver in it is all.

I like these kind of coins even though they have been cleaned.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file