Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Stacks Auction fees

So I won a coin last night on Stacks for $110. $22 was added for Auction fee. OK as expected. Here is where it degrades. Shipping $50! Wire fee $35? What the heck is that? Am i missing something here? I use GC all the time and the shipping is like $10 at the most. Wire fee? If this is how they do business they wont have my business anymore

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:
    So I won a coin last night on Stacks for $110. $22 was added for Auction fee. OK as expected. Here is where it degrades. Shipping $50! Wire fee $35? What the heck is that? Am i missing something here? I use GC all the time and the shipping is like $10 at the most. Wire fee? If this is how they do business they wont have my business anymore

Are you in the US?

I buy from Stack's all the time. Shipping is usually around $15 and I've never paid a wire fee because I pay either by credit card or electronic check from a linked bank account.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

New York

• Options

I didnt pay yet but was planning on using CC. I sent them an email questioning the charges

• Options

@stockdude_ said:
    I didnt pay yet but was planning on using CC. I sent them an email questioning the charges

Was it a high priced item? There are different rules if you are above a threshold

• Options

I said in my post $110

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

The auction house fees and charges will continue to escalate until potential buyers wake up and just stop bidding. Always ask questions about fees and charges before bidding and not after. Read every word of those long and boring terms of sale and if you don't agree with them ... don't bid.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

my latest Stack's invoice included only $11.50 for shipping and Tax. I always use PayPal to settle up unless I make the occasional Personal Check payment and there's never been any other charges.

Instead of "Knee Jerking" and running away from Stack's you should probably contact them. my hunch is that a mistake was made, either by them or by you. I would only add that Shipping isn't ONLY based on value, it can increase due to size and weight.

• Options

@keets said:
    my latest Stack's invoice included only $11.50 for shipping and Tax. I always use PayPal to settle up unless I make the occasional Personal Check payment and there's never been any other charges.

Instead of "Knee Jerking" and running away from Stack's you should probably contact them. my hunch is that a mistake was made, either by them or by you. I would only add that Shipping isn't ONLY based on value, it can increase due to size and weight.

In my other post i said i sent them an email questioning the charges. Also one coin does not weigh much

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 6:30AM

well, that adds some clarity, but the Telephone is a better option. also, we aren't the enemy here.

• Options

@291fifth said:
    The auction house fees and charges will continue to escalate until potential buyers wake up and just stop bidding. Always ask questions about fees and charges before bidding and not after. Read every word of those long and boring terms of sale and if you don't agree with them ... don't bid.

Since ive already had two responses that state they werent charged these exorbitant fees i doubt the terms of sale would have shown me anything. If these charges stick they will have seen the last of me

• Options

@keets said:
    well, that adds some clarity, but the Telephone is a better option. also, we aren't the enemy here.

I didnt mean to come off as confrontational. I appreciate all the responses. I figured id start with email and then call them. Thanks

• Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stacks has a tare level shipping. If your total was $110 or even up to $200 the shipping cost should be $7
    https://stacksbowers.com/FAQ/default.aspx#shippingandhandeling

Could the lot be an oversized lot perhaps? did you actually send a wire for a $200 item?

Im sure there is perhaps a mistake. Just call them

may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you send them a wire, there is a fee involved. But why would you do that?

• Options

@joebb21 said:
    Stacks has a tare level shipping. If your total was $110 or even up to $200 the shipping cost should be $7

Could the lot be an oversized lot perhaps? did you actually send a wire for a $200 item?

Im sure there is perhaps a mistake. Just call them

Like i posted its one coin nothing oversized. Ill call if they dont respond to my email.

• Options

@stockdude_ said:
    I said in my post $110

sorry, I forgot between my 1st and second post.

That is highly unusual.

• Options

@scubafuel said:
    If you send them a wire, there is a fee involved. But why would you do that?

If have no intentions of wiring anything. I will pay by CC

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a simple accounting mistake, I'm sure that you and Stacks will get it all ironed out.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

The OP is the corollary of the phrase “if it sounds too goog to be true, it probably is.” You should have called them. We will all be shocked if this isn’t just a mistake.

I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:

@keets said:

In my other post i said i sent them an email questioning the charges. Also one coin does not weigh much

Was going to ask if you bought a Yap stone.

• Options

I just called them and they are fixing it. For some reason they had me down as outside the US! Thanks everyone for your input!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2020 10:34AM

So much drama

• Options

@stockdude_ said:
    I just called them and they are fixing it. For some reason they had me down as outside the US! Thanks everyone for your input!

Called it!

• Options
    edited November 18, 2020 10:52AM

@Boosibri said:
    So much drama

LOL. Agreed.

Pretty common in these here parts. Cue USPS complaint thread #123,456, 789 or eBay complaint thread #234,567,890

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joebb21 said:

This!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find in situations like this it’s a lot easier to make a phone call rather than emailing.

• Options

@skier07 said:
    I find in situations like this it’s a lot easier to make a phone call rather than emailing.

Due to the time difference of 3 hours i figured i would get the email out right away since i couldnt call them so early.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

That must be a mistake on the shipping. I don't know about the wire fee because I never use that option. I always pay with card or check. SB shipping is reasonable. I bought from them all the time

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

My most recent purchase (last month) amount was $6,413 and the shipping is $40.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file