Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gangster Dutch Schultz’s unfound $150 million buried treasure

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 15, 2020 6:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting read, especially for anyone living in Upstate New York.

..... a revealing article in a 1939 issue of Collier’s magazine. In it, a former lawyer of Dutch Schultz recalled a 2-by-3-foot steel box filled with diamonds, gold coins and $1,000 bills.

Schultz died a day later, on Oct. 24, 1935. But about two hours before he passed, the gangster left an important clue as to the whereabouts of his stash.

https://nypost.com/article/searching-for-gangster-dutch-schultzs-gold/

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

several years ago we stayed a few days near Phoenicia and spent an afternoon in that quaint, little Town. the surrounding area is quite rugged and rocky. good luck to anyone with the fortitude to search. if you happen to visit the area, make sure to stop into the Phoenicia Diner. B)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why does the name ricko come into play on this

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

My main takeaway from the article is the reference to the "rag dipped in a gonorrhea sore." Poor old Joe Rock.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be concerned about being run off by some gun-toting yahoo who thinks he owns the place if I was to poke around the creek with my detector for a treasure that may not even exist. No thanks. I would go to the Phoenicia Diner recommended by keets, however.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

If indeed it ever existed, unless Schultz buried this heavy box by himself, he had help who knew where it was after he was dead.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

New PCGS label: Gangster Dutch Schultz Treasure

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have known about this tale for many years... have driven those roads. Have not found it....yet.... ;) And if I do find it, I will never tell anyone. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have known about this tale for many years... have driven those roads. Have not found it....yet.... ;) And if I do find it, I will never tell anyone. Cheers, RickO

I don't blame you. I would'nt either.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some neat caves around that area....wouldn't surprise me if it was hidden in a cave and not buried!

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went camping in Phoenicia this summer. There’s a called Black Bear campground and the place did live up to it’s name. Decent size momma bear sitting in a tree with her babies near the entrance.

Didn’t find any treasure though. Have heard that story. Schultz owned other properties upstate NY as well.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

so seriously uncle AL, where is the the stash. email when you come back to vote. notice my last initial of my post name lol

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

We will know, you will be buying more expensive coins and that Gatling gun you always wanted. 😉

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2020 6:59PM

@ricko said:

From the sound of it, whoever finds it will need an ATV or a hand truck to move it.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    Why does the name ricko come into play on this

The buried coins do not have any tarnish on them,I suspect. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    oldUScoinsoldUScoins Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

I’m sure Lulu went and took anything that was there. Apparently he knew about it as per the final words of the gansta.

• Options

I want to see the episode on PBS.

"Gangster's Gold features a new interview with Stanley Grauso, the 104-year-old, last living member of Dutch Schultz's..."

Stanley MUST know something.
    But, I bet he's NOT talking.

Chris

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file