Home U.S. Coin Forum

Walker GTG and General Opinions (grade revealed in first post)

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 15, 2020 1:49PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Grade revealed: It’s in a PCGS MS65 holder.

The dealer is asking MS66 money, and I understand why. I think it’s a lock for 66, and for sure a very attractive coin. I’m just not in the business of submitting coins to PCGS, so I’d like to buy it already in a 66 holder.

The strike on the obverse is what originally drew me to this coin.

Comments

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. MS66 perhaps?

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luster blazing bumps: MS66.

peacockcoins

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

66, possible +

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yozzie! What a beaute, dude. I'm in the 66 group. Wouldn't surprise me to see a 67. B)<3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • 1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one. I'm in the 66 crowd.

Have a good day, Gary
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see much in the way of grade limiting factors except minor luster grazes. Excellent strike and luster. 66/67

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great strike. It really shows when the mint changes the dies more often. Absolute beautiful coin.
    BTW, what causes the dark grey spot on the Eagles feathers in front of the wing and on Liberty's left breast. Just totally different than the rest of the coin. When I first viewed it I thought a slight rub, but with everyone's MS66 and higher guesses I must be wrong. Many here study this series and I have not.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ding on the eagles upper right wing, rub on the breast.... 65 - 66....little die crack on the obverse by the R in Liberty and a ding on her left leg.... Cheers, RickO

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks nice. My first thought was 67, There are a few small marks and 66 might be the number.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well hammered 66+

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 65. Judging by the luster and the rest of the coin I’ll assume that the weakness on the breast is due to a striking anomaly and not rub.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hammered coin, with what looks like excellent luster and a great hand (and thumb) detail!

Very nice example!

I'm in the 65+ to 66+ camp

Marks on neck, the a little busy-ness in the field above IGWT and the sun, and a few other inconsequential marks suggest solid Gem, but not quite Superb to me.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty, 66+

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • JJMJJM Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it could go MS66, 65+ for sure.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

66+

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 34 comes nice... 65 to 65+

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 with a bean for this beauty

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

66 CAC

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2020 7:39PM

Somewhere around 66. The obverse strike is phenomenal. Reverse, not as much.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 to 66

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭

Grade revealed in first post.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with your thinking.
    If the dealer wants 6 money, then HE needs to resubmit it, or get a gold CAC on it..... and if you want one in a 6 holder, buy one in a 6 holder. With well >500 examples in existence, they’re around.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭

Whoops. I just realized I wrote reverse instead of obverse in that post. Fixed.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeLewis Thanks for the reveal and nice coin. I agree with you that you would be FAR better off to buy a coin ALREADY graded MS 66. There are MANY fine examples out there and the price difference is minimal. I have owned four 1934 MS 66s. A PCGS 66, A PCGS CAC 66'+' graded coin, a fully original NGC 66 in an old no-line fatty and an NGC 66 in a older #7 slab. I sold the PCGS that didn't have the bean and the NGC #7. I still own the other two and am keeping those. o:)

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

One reason for the sellers MS66 price may be for the well struck feathers on the legs. This attribute seems to be missing on many walkers. Just an opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Walkers are no different than many other US coin series' with regard to striking anomalies by year and from Mint to Mint. my experience is that coin struck at Philadelphia will tend to have a better strike than a coin struck at either Denver or San Francisco. also, it isn't unusual to find 1934's with a crisp strike and defined hand detail. to Walkerfan's point of the reverse weakness, all the metal flowed to the obverse and it would have required an even better strike to fill the reverse die 100%.

I once bought a 1934 at a club auction, the coin was hammered with both sides fully struck and well detailed, the hand of Ms. Liberty looking better than Proof issues. the PCGS determination --- AU58. when the coin returned to me I was able to see the faint luster break(s) they saw, but it's still the best struck Walker I've ever owned.

Compare your 1934 in 65 to other 1934 examples in 65. The 34 is one of best in terms of quality from the Philadelphia mint. I suspect only 1939 -- possibly 1936 would be alternative choices for the best in quality.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    Compare your 1934 in 65 to other 1934 examples in 65. The 34 is one of best in terms of quality from the Philadelphia mint. I suspect only 1939 -- possibly 1936 would be alternative choices for the best in quality.

1943 Philly halves are generally of very high quality, as well. I'm not sure if you were specifically referring to pre-WWII issues.

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pic, it sure looks 66 to me

Tom

@CoinJunkie ... I was thinking more in terms of those dated from the 1930s... And as you wrote, there are some exceptional 1943 Phillies too

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hairlines, this one seems to have one or more that are hard to see in the two dimensional images; graders are tough on those.

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hammered strike for sure. Not my series, but is that a ding on Liberty's neck? My eyes keep looking at that and if it is, not a 66/67 in my eyes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file