Homeβ€Ί U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More Morgan dollar expertise needed

Recently acquired two Morgan silver dollars and I'm unsure of ones authenticity and I'm fairly certain on the other. Watch me be wrong on both. 😊

The 1921 no mint mark (Philadelphia) weighs 25.8 g and has some very peculiar stamp under the actual stamp of the coin on the reverse side. I've included pics with the areas in question circled. At the bottom you should see two impressions of the number 8 under the D in DOLLAR. At the top under the S OF you will see a reversed R and a reversed U.

The 1887 o is in good shape with no irregularities that I can find. It weighs 26.8 g. One gram heavier than the 1921.

Any info provided is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Options

Neither coin is magnetic. The 1921 is somewhat thicker but very minimally.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am feeling better about the 1887 than I am regarding the 1921.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like that fake 1921 reverse die was clashed with an 18 something obverse die in medal alignment.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Duggernaut .... Welcome aboard... I agree with the above evaluations. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake 1921 with fake die clash. 1887-O looks real but trashed.

John
    Keeper of the VAM Catalog β€’ Professional Coin Imaging β€’ Prime Number Set β€’ World Coins in Early America β€’ British Trade Dollars
  • Options

@messydesk said:
    Fake 1921 with fake die clash. 1887-O looks real but trashed.

Thanks for all the positive and constructive criticism. πŸ™‚

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

What others have said.

BTW, and FYI, being non-magnetic means nothing. Many counterfeits are not magnetic. Being magnetic means something unless you are discussing a coin that is supposed to be magnetic, such as a 1943 cent or certain Canadian coins.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    What others have said.

BTW, and FYI, being non-magnetic means nothing. Many counterfeits are not magnetic. Being magnetic means something unless you are discussing a coin that is supposed to be magnetic, such as a 1943 cent or certain Canadian coins.

Thanks for the good info. Inwas going by what i read on the web. A couple of sites said use the magnet as a prelim test.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file