Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

And so it begins.

Prices starting to slide downward already, as people grow more wary of a long dark winter economically and with the virus still raging. Subtle so far but all the signs are there. Glad I made some shifts a few weeks ago.

Will hit the blue chips last if at all, but unmistakably the signs are present. Enjoy your cardboard.

Comments

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

I'm seeing the same thing. Just a slight softening so far, but it's on the way down.

Funny thing is, sellers haven't caught on. I still see $100 cards priced at $350. And on the high end, PSA 10s of minor stars getting priced at 3x-4x the previous high.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2020 6:41AM

played out.

• Options

@AANV said:
    The oracle has spoken.

more like "boracle".

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crisser in the house!

Daniel
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2020 8:10AM

PSA 10 modern rookies have definitely fallen in value since the peak. Those ESPN and Yahoo articles about the boom in the hobby was probably a signal of a near term peak. I'm curious if this effect will finally reduce modern new release prices. However I think the base health of the hobby is good, I think lockdown brought in new collector money which, if it stays, will drive prices generally up in the long run.

Mike
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

😉

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited November 11, 2020 8:51AM

@ndleo said:
    PSA 10 modern rookies have definitely fallen in value since the peak. Those ESPN and Yahoo articles about the boom in the hobby was probably a signal of a near term peak. I'm curious if this effect will finally reduce modern new release prices. However I think the base health of the hobby is good, I think lockdown brought in new collector money which, if it stays, will drive prices generally up in the long run.

modern goes down as each perspective season ends. w/ basketball season starting back up next month, all the rookies are starting to rebound from their post bubble drops. zion, ja, luka, rj, etc cards hit their floors about a month ago and are now steadily climbing again. have to keep in mind that the basketball market is also a global market compared to baseball and football. even if america's economy tanks, the asian and aussie markets are still there.

i keyed in on modern basketball for this specific reason. pulled a decent chunk of money outta the market precovid (thank god) to play around with vs ride the wall street rollercoaster. so far, so great.

but back to modern cards dropping, obviously it's baseballs turn now, save randy arozarena. football is mid season but will start dropping soon due to basketball gearing back up. perfectly timed w my subs popping each day.

key vintage rcs and wax, other than the seasons pump and dump cards, all seem to be holding steady.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you seen CLCT stock lately ?

• Options

I’m bullish on CLCT & PSA, always have been. Market itself, don’t try to catch that falling knife, bros. Ndleo & CopyBoy know what’s up. Realism.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually around March things start going up again. I've had a great year selling. No issues but I am not in it for profit just culling inventory.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Henny Penny has returned!

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

If The Crisser says to jump ship, does that mean we are all supposed to get on board??

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

Crisser knows what’s up

• Options
    edited November 11, 2020 10:50AM

@Dgofwinter said:
    Crisser knows what’s up

word to big bird. but he don’t fly either.

"oh stewardess, i speak jive"

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crisser has been singing the same tune for at least 7 years.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Prediction:
    The card market, Dow, nasdaq, & soybeans will have their ups & downs during the next 2-5 years.
    Mark this post

I'd appreciate a Blue Chip tanking...finally be able to get my '54 Aaron & 48' Robinson

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭

Who is "Crisser"? What's all the innuendo about? New to the names...

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2020 12:23PM

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@BuckHunter68 said:

The guy who started this thread, his previous incarnation didn't have the "The" prefix. He's basically the CU chicken little who pops in with random doom and gloom predictions from time to time, and might have even been correct once.

Don't forget that he perfectly times all the tops and bottoms of the card market (as he hinted to in his first post).

Bitcoin, too.

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭

Wowzers! That's pretty cool.
    Like the (insert Marv Albert voice)
    "Czar of the telestrater" of the card market. Good guy to have around!
    If you want to know which cards have hit a peak, look at what I'm currently buying.
    If you want to know what cards have already hit rock bottom check my sales.
    I find it's a reasonable assessment of the marketplace and has a proven track record of 40+ years, Lol

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I see you’re still allowed to post here for some reason

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@BuckHunter68 said:

The guy who started this thread, his previous incarnation didn't have the "The" prefix. He's basically the CU chicken little who pops in with random doom and gloom predictions from time to time, and might have even been correct once.

So if you needed to interpret Pharoahs dream, do you take the crisser or a broken clock ?

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I actually agree with the Crisser on this one. Dark times ahead is my prediction.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

So Crisser, what your crystal ball say about vintage and unopened?

PackManInNC
  • Options

@JakeR2234 said:
    I actually agree with the Crisser on this one. Dark times ahead is my prediction.

my kid will be back in school 2021. and its glorious. so he’s wrong already.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reality on pricing probably lies somewhere between a hot and cold market.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2020 5:39AM

i remember someone bringing up '83 wax being severely undervalued in another thread somewhere. this begs the question...now that this eejit has been “right” “once”, do i get to start my own “told ya so” threads from here to infinity?

• Options

@ElvisP said:

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    I'm suspecting that some collectors may not have as much disposable income in the next few years.

It was good while it lasted but you are correct. Higher taxes, much higher gas prices, prescription drugs, groceries, mortgage rates etc, etc are on the horizon not to mention higher unemployment. All will take its toll on the hobby unfortunately.

or, and hear me out, considering the change in executive office, dealings w COVID and the market roller coaster that has and will continue to ensue for at least another year, that a lot of individuals, including those that reside on Wall Street have found a new place to park said money w less inherent risk and regulation. couple in the fact that cards of every genre are now the “cool” thing to do, we may be in our own protective bubble from the bubble. for a lil while at least. after all, nothing in life remains constant.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭✭

as a collector, I hope the market crashes. seriously. more cards for me.

I would bet that when the next stimulus checks come out there will be another bump though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gas has dropped over 26 cents a gallon in the last 2 weeks here in Kansas City. I filled up on October 30th at $1.95 per gallon. Last check, it was $1.62 at the Phillips 66 (which is usually too much out of my way) and $1.69 at the QuikTrip in my neighborhood. My vehicle gets over 35 mpg, and since I hardly go anywhere but back and forth to work now, I'm probably good for another 2 weeks. It could possibly be under $1.50 by my next fill up. I don't foresee some surge in fuel prices that suddenly makes driving untenable, or cause such ripples that raises the costs of goods appreciably.

I don't know if mortgage rates will go up or not, but when they're currently hovering at all-time lows, I guess the safe bet is to say that they will. My brother works in the mortgage industry and says he has been absolutely killing it this summer and fall with all of the people refinancing and a surge in home buying, leading to his best year, ever, by far.

Higher taxes would have been coming, regardless, as the cuts granted in the last overhaul have an expiration date built in that never seems to get any publicity.

Grocery costs have come way down since the early part of the pandemic. I would agree, though, that we're likely to see panic buying again and supply chain disruptions, so prices will probably go back up.

I understand that others may have much more costly prescriptions as they deal with their own unique health issues. I only have one prescription medication, and it has been holding steady at roughly $1.50 out of pocket for a 90 day supply for several years. That could possibly go up a bit, but I haven't perused the open season insurance info in detail, yet, to be certain. Even if it doubles...yeah, I'm not gonna miss that extra $1.50 every 3 months when the cost of a fill up on my car has gone down $4 just since the last time. I will say that my regular dentist visits now cost an extra $10 out of pocket each time I go because of a PPE surcharge.

But ask me, "What are card prices going to do?" 🤷

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

The box pictures looks just as nice as a FASC.

I check BBCE several times a day, not to mention his prices are almost always the best around. I’ll gladly fork up $925 for a box that looks like fasc even if it doesn’t have the designation.

https://www.bbcexchange.com/1983-Topps-Baseball-Unopened-Wax-Box-BBCE

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    Gas has dropped over 26 cents a gallon in the last 2 weeks here in Kansas City.

Hello fellow Kansan! Gas here has been fantastic. I agree with ya.
    I live in southern Joco!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing would make me happier than cards becoming worth a fraction of what they are today. I could afford to collect Goudey, T206 and other PreWar. Let the prices crash!!!! Unfortunately, all the Crisser’s predictions have not come true. Bring on the $100 PSA 8 Ruths and Cobbs. Unless and until my wish list is smaller than my haves list (which is nearly impossible to achieve in this lifetime) I welcome any and all price drops. My savings on my Collectibles Insurance premium of a couple hundred bucks a year could turn into the Banks Rookie I can never seem to save for.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

I think things will soften a bit in a number of areas, as the ebb and flow is normal. Frankly I would love a crash because I am a collector and not an investor, so the more cards I can buy for the same money, the better. But I'm not holding my breath for a crash.
    kevin

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another classic Crisser move: dump a post like that, elicit reactions, never return to it.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I normally don't post on his threads for this reason. He wants to get a rise out of everyone. The best thing to do is when he makes a BS post, don't respond. He'll eventually get the hint, plus the "Crisser" is a troll.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

>

, including those that reside on Wall Street have found a new place to park said money w less inherent risk and regulation. couple in the fact that cards of every genre are now the “cool” thing to do, we may be in our own protective bubble from the bubble. for a lil while at least. after all, nothing in life remains constant.

-

Yes, this.
    Wall Street execs & Hedgies are loading up on cardboard as a long term alternative investment.
    Annualized returns are undeniable.
    I've been waiting 10 years for certain cards to get cheaper. Doesn't happen

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Hope the market crashes hard. There are many purchases I want to make that I am not comfortable with the current costs...What a genius, of course at some point the prices will correct, just like anything else...