Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020 7:56PM

Great doily too!

Don’t see enough of those!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice... I do not have a chipped holder yet... soon though. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba Your holder says "GEN 2". I did not realize there was a GEN 2. Does anyone know the difference between this chip and the generation 1 chip?

Mark

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options

Is there a point at which "too much technology" becomes detrimental to the hobby?

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtlee321 Thanks very much!

Mark

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinofglory said:
    Nice coin bud, take a look at URL >>>>> Coinofglory.com

Like to get US a nice holder for Coinofglory will see how things go here<<<<<<<<<<<<

Why am I seeing this in a couple places all of a sudden. Not sure I want to click on that link...

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking holder. Nice looking quarter too.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2020 7:53AM

Edit,
    Very Nice 25c...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time I see a picture of these.
    Question: (not a joke): HOW does it protect the coin inside?
    It appears once cracked out, the coin is on it's own???
    Is there any electronic ID also on the coin?
    Not trying to be critical, just asking?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:

I think it’s more of a way to ensure the authenticity of the slab since some fakes have been coming out of China recently.

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great holder! I believe the submitter had to request that holder for an additional charge. I’m not sure if they still offer them, but you could choose from a retro doily, a retro green or a retro blue holder.
    I can’t imagine there are a lot of those floating around.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin @jabba
    alas I don't think my flip phone would work with those slabs :#

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember a decade ago the concept of chipped slabs was ridiculed on this forum. How times change. It took a decade to smash progress through 2” thick numismatic skulls. P

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was an earlier thread here where some analysis of the technology was posted.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OldeTowneCoinShoppe said:
    Is there a point at which "too much technology" becomes detrimental to the hobby?

Not to my way of thinking.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    Great holder! I believe the submitter had to request that holder for an additional charge. I’m not sure if they still offer them, but you could choose from a retro doily, a retro green or a retro blue holder.
    I can’t imagine there are a lot of those floating around.

Great question.

Apparently, the four different versions, Gen 1.0 - 4.0, of the "PCGS Generation Series" of special labels have been retired.

Source: https://www.pcgs.com/labels

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:

It doesn’t if you crack it out it’s just another coin the chip is just in the holder I believe this was created for security against counterfeit holders now if your at a coin show you can use your smart phone to scan the chip and see everything on your phone true view, price guide, pop report, if it’s in someone’s set. If your buying online you still have to rely on the cert number to check authenticity

• Options

@OldeTowneCoinShoppe said:

If there is, making it extremely easy and convenient to view beautiful, high quality archival images of the coin in a slab in front of you with population and pricing information about the issue is not it

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure, but the last few holders I have received with the new chip, felt lighter and looked clearer. Something just seemed better about how the coins looked through the plastic to me.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2020 4:33AM

@Goldminers said:
    I am not sure, but the last few holders I have received with the new chip, felt lighter and looked clearer. Something just seemed better about how the coins looked through the plastic to me.

100% agree. I'm holding a Gen 6 chip holder now. It just feels lighter and the plastic clearer to me as well. The coin looks awesome in it.

Great job PCGS!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me thinks the chip holder is more about protecting the holder integrity value. Not a bad thing but a sign of the times. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the ease in which I can scan the coin slab with my phone and have it automatically added to my sets and inventory
    This helps those (i.e. Me) who have typo issues :* lol

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file