Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So Who's in for the Mayflower Sets?

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    the silver sets are individually numbered too, so looks like I'll be getting #9128 tomorrow am 😂

I didn't know that. Where do you see your number?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Kudbegud said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    I'm calling bs - the silver set never even showed available - did they make like 10 avail on launch???? w t a f

When did you log in? They were available for 20 or 30 minutes from 9:00 EST to almost 9:30 EST.

omfg ... realized just an hr ago that I got set and prepped for 9a ... central -_- ... jfc --- well, at least these should be easy enough to acquire at 730/745/830/845 eastern early opening as demand seems maybe not incredibly high

I'm claiming v75 delerium

The single RP Silver is remarkably still available

https://catalog.usmint.gov/mayflower-400th-anniversary-silver-reverse-proof-medal-20XD.html?cgid=2020-product-schedule

yeah, luckily that was avail when I logged in at "release time" [an hour later...] --- oi ...

the silver sets are individually numbered too, so looks like I'll be getting #9128 tomorrow am 😂

They don't ship them in order. You could get #1

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

I didn't know that. Where do you see your number?

You don't see it till you open the box.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @jmlanzaf. I'll be sure to look. LOL

• Options

@Kudbegud said:
    Thanks @jmlanzaf. I'll be sure to look. LOL

It's on the COA

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

If submitting to PCGS (or maybe even NGC), would they distinguish the UK issued mint set from the US sim. to what they did with the 2019 Pride of 2 Nations Royal Canadian sets?

Didn't see anything on this aspect.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Kudbegud said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    I'm calling bs - the silver set never even showed available - did they make like 10 avail on launch???? w t a f

When did you log in? They were available for 20 or 30 minutes from 9:00 EST to almost 9:30 EST.

omfg ... realized just an hr ago that I got set and prepped for 9a ... central -_- ... jfc --- well, at least these should be easy enough to acquire at 730/745/830/845 eastern early opening as demand seems maybe not incredibly high

I'm claiming v75 delerium

The single RP Silver is remarkably still available

https://catalog.usmint.gov/mayflower-400th-anniversary-silver-reverse-proof-medal-20XD.html?cgid=2020-product-schedule

yeah, luckily that was avail when I logged in at "release time" [an hour later...] --- oi ...

They don't ship them in order. You could get #1

that would be nice 🙃

• Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

1620 or #2020 would be nice too!

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@GiveMeProof said:
    Got the silver set and the silver RP. I didn't even know I got the silver set till I read my E-mail a little bit ago. Every time I hit the final button it kept sending me back to the payment page. I did that till 9:20 when it went unavailable. So I picked up the silver RP. Really strange. Got the second E-mail for both items so I guess I'm good.

This is exactly what happened to me. I filled it all out, hit submit or finalize order or whatever the button was and it cycled back to the payment page. I could not tell if I had inadvertently left off some required info, the card was rejected, a system issue, or something else. I was worried each time I did it, I was placing a $1700+ order! Like you, I didn't really know for sure until I got the email that one attempt went through. Mrs. Storm didn't even know I was ordering one set of these, she'd a killed me if 3 or 4 sets showed up at the door! :D

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not interested

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    Not interested

I changed my mind, went to buy a silver set, but it was sold out. The RP medal is still available, but now I'm not interested anymore. The Royal Mint is offering a nice bi-metal coin, silver with gold plating around the edges...but not very excited about that either...

• Options

@Onastone said:

@Joe_360 said:
    Not interested

I changed my mind, went to buy a silver set, but it was sold out. The RP medal is still available, but now I'm not interested anymore. The Royal Mint is offering a nice bi-metal coin, silver with gold plating around the edges...but not very excited about that either...

I think they are pretty. Really love the photos of the gold RP that were posted on the other thread.

This may not be a flipping winner, but I think it is a pretty nice set of offerings.

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Onastone said:

@Joe_360 said:
    Not interested

I think they are pretty. Really love the photos of the gold RP that were posted on the other thread.

This may not be a flipping winner, but I think it is a pretty nice set of offerings.

I agree, that reverse proof looks like a winner, so much better looking than the mint picture. And that Lady Pilgrim is pretty nice looking too...! :)

• Options
    JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

@Goldminers With both in hand, do you prefer the Proof or RP?

• Options

@Goldminers said:
    They both are pretty nice. Sort of a toss up to me: Here is a better look.

I like the RP better FWIW

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 12:14PM

I think I like the proof obverse and the RP reverse. Could "flip" a coin to be sure B)

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 12:59PM

@Goldminers said:

Beautiful!! I picked up an RP today cause they looked so nice.

The p and RP next to each other looks so cool.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 1:01PM

@Goldminers said:
    I think I like the proof obverse and the RP reverse. Could "flip" a coin to be sure B)

Agree! Thanks so much for posting.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2020 2:23PM

Silver Reverse Proof Medal on Back Order.
    I wonder how many sold before BO?

• Options

Okay, okay, you guys pushed me off the fence. I guess I just had sour grapes when I couldn't get anything. They are nice looking coins. This morning had some available, so picked up the RPG & RPSM.

• Options

hoping to see the silver sets go back up tomorrow am 🤞

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    hoping to see the silver sets go back up tomorrow am 🤞

Be ready at 3:17 a.m.

• Options

I really think it has a nice classic look to it. So much nicer than a lot of the modern commems.

I'm probably buried in the gold. But, that's okay. I'll just admire them until gold hits $3500 per ounce. ;)

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    Silver Reverse Proof Medal on Back Order.
    I wonder how many sold before BO?

We'll find out Tuesday.

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭

I have the Mayflower silver coin and medal set coming from the US Mint. Would they be 2 "regular" gradings even though there is a British coin in the set?

• Options

@GiveMeProof said:
    I have the Mayflower silver coin and medal set coming from the US Mint. Would they be 2 "regular" gradings even though there is a British coin in the set?

Wouldn't they fall into the "Modern" category?

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@GiveMeProof said:

PCGS will grade the British Coin on the same form as the US Coin. They will even put them in a 2 coin holder if you want them two,,,,,,, $20 oversized holder fee.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:

@Onastone said:

@GiveMeProof said:

PCGS will grade the British Coin on the same form as the US Coin. They will even put them in a 2 coin holder if you want them two,,,,,,, $20 oversized holder fee.

if they have different grades, will they still holder them together?

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@GRANDAM said:

@Onastone said:

@GiveMeProof said:

if they have different grades, will they still holder them together?

YES,,,,,
    Not my coins ,,,,,,, pulled off the internet for reference,,,,

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to buy the two piece gold Proof set. I have sent placed the order, which was accepted, it’s not over until you get coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:

@Onastone said:

@GiveMeProof said:

Do they indicate they came from the UK set?

• Options

@BillJones said:
    I would like to buy the two piece gold Proof set. I have sent placed the order, which was accepted, it’s not over until you get coins.

It's a very nice set. I really like these designs. They have a much more "classic commemorative" feel to them. Kudos to the Mint design team.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2020 3:21PM

The Columbus $5 gold is very attractive, but the subject is politically incorrect.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    The Columbus $5 gold is very attractive, but the subject is politically incorrect.

Yes, also a nice design with a classic feel. And, as you say, politically incorrect. I'm almost surprised they went with the Mayflower. While there has not been nearly the amount of attention paid to "correcting" the idyllic Mayflower myth as the Columbus myth, there has been some discussion had around it.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver Reverse Proof Medal arrived, looks good in hand.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m completely turned off to mint offerings.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

FYI

PBS- Worlds greatest ships-the Mayflower

was on.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@lcoopie said:
    I’m completely turned off to mint offerings.

But you're completely addicted to Mint offering threads.... ;)

Well said
    Trying to pass along my limited experience

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

For those interested in these offerings, I did sell a 2 pc gold set on eBay for $1695 yesterday. And I also sold a RP silver medal for $89. I listed them early evening yesterday. So, there is some interest in these.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2020 12:17PM

Selling the 2 pc gold set at $1695 is hardly worth the effort and risk (buyer returns,,,,, you eat at least the PayPal Fee's)
    So, no eBay Store you lose -$53.95
    eBay Store but not a Top Rated Seller you made $11.31
    eBay Store and a Top Rated seller you made $21.73.
    If you charge for shipping then factor that amount in.
    I estimated shipping at $25 so if you ship it for less add the difference on to the total.

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

Grandam has it nailed. There may be some selling, but at cost or a loss. That tells me that this does not have legs.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2020 3:29PM

@GRANDAM said:
    Selling the 2 pc gold set at $1695 is hardly worth the effort and risk (buyer returns,,,,, you eat at least the PayPal Fee's)
    So, no eBay Store you lose -$53.95
    eBay Store but not a Top Rated Seller you made $11.31
    eBay Store and a Top Rated seller you made $21.73.
    If you charge for shipping then factor that amount in.
    I estimated shipping at $25 so if you ship it for less add the difference on to the total.

You've got it backwards.

I'm well aware of the margin. I do $200k per year on eBay. That was not at all the point of my post.

The point was someone was willing to pay $1700 for these which is $200 over issue price. And the sale was made in a matter of a couple of hours. That indicates actual secondary market demand. Whether it lasts or not...time will tell.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2020 3:28PM

@Halfpence said:
    Grandam has it nailed. There may be some selling, but at cost or a loss. That tells me that this does not have legs.

You are also looking at it backwards. They are selling, currently, for $200 over issue price.

I'm not suggesting anyone flip them on eBay. They are unavailable anyway. If you are selling them in your B&M, that's $200 gross profit with no fees.

Most Mint issues immediately sell for less on the secondary market. Buy a proof ASE and try to sell it and see if you can even get issue price.

It was simply a data point for anyone who cared. You didn't.

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Halfpence said:

You are also looking at it backwards. They are selling, currently, for $200 over issue price.

I'm not suggesting anyone flip them on eBay. They are unavailable anyway. If you are selling them in your B&M, that's $200 gross profit with no fees.

Most Mint issues immediately sell for less on the secondary market. Buy a proof ASE and try to sell it and see if you can even get issue price.

If I didn't care, I wouldn't have commented. It's ridiculous to suggest that your tip was for those with a brick and mortar store. Ninety nine percent of us do not have storefronts. Bottom line: using your own example of a sale, this is definitively NOT a moneymaker. It's not rocket science.

• Options
    edited November 22, 2020 4:55PM

@Halfpence said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Halfpence said:

If I didn't care, I wouldn't have commented. It's ridiculous to suggest that your tip was for those with a brick and mortar store. Ninety nine percent of us do not have storefronts. Bottom line: using your own example of a sale, this is definitively NOT a moneymaker. It's not rocket science.

I didn't say it was a tip for a B&M. I also didn't say it was a "moneymaker". It was simply an indicator of the secondary market price which is currently +$200 for this issue. I don't know how new you are to Mint issues, but that alone is a rarity. My exact words were "there is some interest in these".

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think you are missing the boat on this one. The 5000 mintage .Gold Reverse Proof. 20XC will be a great winner down the road !

We are paying a premium to buy as many as we can for long term. It’s a beautiful coin in hand and we have a lot of collector interest asking for them.

A lot of collectors missed out with the 9am buy time plus they had spent on the WW2 earlier in the week

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

Speaking of boat...my gold set ordered from the UK must have missed the Express Trans-Atlantic ship that a fellow member's set was on.

Still showing " in transit". Shoot, at this rate, even the Mayflower might be a faster alternative.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file