Home U.S. Coin Forum

Extending my Brent Pogue Lowball Type Set

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 10, 2020 3:56AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Back in the Brent Pogue sale earlier this year, I got a bit of auction fever. I wasn't building a type set at the time and I had been interested lowballs but hadn't picked up any. Pogue fever set in and got me to pick up my first pieces.

For some reason, Stack's doesn't mention Pogue in the lot description so you can't find these by searching for Pogue on their site. Someone else will need to make a set to share Pogue's marvelous set. It would be great to have a PCGS Registry Set :)

This was just two random pieces recently, until I picked up a few more pieces in the Bill Fivaz auction.

Did anyone else her pick up any Pogue lowballs?

1787 Fugio - PCGS PO01 - Ex-Brent Pogue

This was the first coin of the set lot-wise. I picked up this on a whim because I had wanted a Fugio for a long time and it was a Pogue PO01. Many of Pogue's lowballs are CACed but this one isn't.

1920 Pilgrim Half Dollar - PCGS FR02 CAC - Ex-Brent Pogue

I picked up this one because I like the Pilgrim Half Dollar. It's not a PO01 but it is a CAC, my lowest one so far but I'm hoping to have some PO01 CACs too.

Comments

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC does not sticker colonials anymore.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2020 9:10AM

So then came along the Bill Fivaz set. Stack's calls it the "World's Worst Type Set" but he has a lot of FR02s in his set as well. I think Pogue could give Fivaz a run for his money if the sets were compared.

At this point, I wasn't really collecting a type set of these, but he had a Feuchtwanger I fell in love with and then who was it that said you can't stop with just one coin?

1837 Feuchtwanger Cent - German Silver - Reeded Edge - PCGS PO01 POP 0/1/663 - Ex-Bill Fivaz

This is the coin I fell in love with. It's a POP 1. The next higher coin is an AG03. The back is completely flat but the obverse is unmistakeable. I've always wanted a Feuchtwanger as well and have considered pulling the trigger on a couple of high graded specimens but haven't picked one up yet so this is my first.

This coin is my second coin that is featured on a Stack's banner. You can see it by the "Bid Now" button.

It doesn't look like the Fivaz set was sent to CAC and I don't know that CAC certifies these.

1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary - PCGS PO01 POP 0/4/4,581 - Ex-Bill-Fivaz

I love the reverse on this peice with the ghostly ship. I reminds me of a pirate ship in the mist and the Pogue New-Rochelle piece a bit but you can more clearly make out the image here.

This one isn't CAC but may probably worth sending it.

@Catbert said:
    CAC does not sticker colonials anymore.

Ah good to know and a good validation on Pogue's eye.

I think they don't certify Feuchtwanger's either.

edited November 8, 2020 9:04AM

@burfle23 said:
    Love my S-20 1794 head of '93

Great coin @burfle23!

Pogue had a great set of early low ball coins.

edited November 8, 2020 9:10AM

1924 Huguenot-Walloon Tercentenary - PCGS PO01 POP 0/4/4,581 CAC - Ex-D. Brent Pogue

Here's Pogue's Huguenot half dollar to compare with my Fivaz specimen.

I'm not sure what the oval impression is on the reverse. Does anyone know?

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a strange draw to these, too — bought and sold a few over the years — just never Pogue examples.

edited November 8, 2020 9:55AM

@SeattleSlammer said:
    I have a strange draw to these, too — bought and sold a few over the years — just never Pogue examples.

Low balls are really amazing coins and can be quite beautiful. I was following these before the registry sets and it's amazing to think now they have provenance like Pogue and are featured by Stack's.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally love lowballs but don't like the prices some of these are getting. It's bad enough competing for higher grade coins but now we have to compete for the lowest grade too! :D

I try to add to my lowball set when I can but try to do it in an economical way. For example getting a nice Fr-2 or AG-3 instead of the lowest graded PO-1.

@Zoins said:
    Back in the Brent Pogue sale earlier this year, I got a bit of auction fever. I wasn't building a type set at the time and I had been interested lowballs but hadn't picked up any. Pogue fever set in and got me to pick up my first pieces.

For some reason, Stack's doesn't mention Pogue in the lot description so you can't find these by searching for Pogue on their site. Someone else will need to make a set to share Pogue's marvelous set. It would be great to have a PCGS Registry Set :)

This was just two random pieces recently, until I picked up a few more pieces in the Bill Fivaz auction.

Did anyone else her pick up any Pogue lowballs?

1787 Fugio - PCGS PO01 - Ex-Pogue

This was the first coin of the set lot-wise. I picked up this on a whim because I had wanted a Fugio for a long time and it was a Pogue PO01. Many of Pogue's lowballs are CACed but this one isn't.

1920 Pilgrim Half Dollar - PCGS FR02 CAC - Ex-Pogue

I picked up this one because I like the Pilgrim Half Dollar. It's not a PO01 but it is a CAC, my lowest one so far but I'm hoping to have some PO01 CACs too.

Beautiful coins!!!

edited November 8, 2020 10:17AM

@chesterb said:
    Beautiful coins!!!

Thanks! I try to be pretty picky about ones I pick up.

@chesterb said:
    I personally love lowballs but don't like the prices some of these are getting. It's bad enough competing for higher grade coins but now we have to compete for the lowest grade too! :D

I try to add to my lowball set when I can but try to do it in an economical way. For example getting a nice Fr-2 or AG-3 instead of the lowest graded PO-1.

The slabbed ones are getting very pricey. The Pogue ones went for multiples of their pre-auction estimates.

The nice thing about these coins is that you can still buy raw ones inexpensively and get them slabbed, which I've thought about doing as well.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve owned a Feuchtwanger with a CAC sticker but don’t know for sure if they still accept them.

@U1chicago said:
    I’ve owned a Feuchtwanger with a CAC sticker but don’t know for sure if they still accept them.

Good to know. I have the impression BIll Fivaz didn't send his coins to CAC, so I hope to have JA evaluate mine.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does a CAC sticker on a PO01 make it solidly poor for the grade or solidly high end for the grade?

edited November 8, 2020 10:31AM

@Boosibri said:
    Does a CAC sticker on a PO01 make it solidly poor for the grade or solidly high end for the grade?

The notion of a CAC sticker on a PO01 is a bit strange to me

I take it to mean high end / choice for the grade. I've spent some time thinking about this and still think it's worthwhile to indicate a choice, vs. damaged or other undesirable aspect of the coin. For example, you can have net-graded damage and other things that aren't really desirable, even at low grades.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

I used to think the same. And I still do at times. But I think it represents an especially ‘wholesome’ PO01 ... as opposed to a near FR2 piece technically. Still, an oxymoron on some levels regardless.

No doubt there’s a lowball collector somewhere who would scoff at any CAC example out of disgust for being too nice for the grade.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@Boosibri said:

I take it to mean high end / choice for the grade. I've spent some time thinking about this and still think it's worthwhile to indicate a choice, vs. damaged or other undesirable aspect of the coin. For example, you can have net-graded damage and other things that aren't really desirable, even at low grades.

As much as I like CAC, it doesn’t seem that their expertise is needed for such coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@Boosibri said:

As much as I like CAC, it doesn’t seem that their expertise is needed for such coins.

One could argue slabbing isn't really necessary for such coins either, at least common varieties.

For better or worse, coin collecting at this level is a first-world hobby and not really about "needing".

@SeattleSlammer said:

@Boosibri said:

I used to think the same. And I still do at times. But I think it represents an especially ‘wholesome’ PO01 ... as opposed to a near FR2 piece technically. Still, an oxymoron on some levels regardless.

Agree but I'd definitely avoid a Gold CAC sticker for a low-ball! :#

• mynamespatmynamespat Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

What do you do if your P01 gets a gold bean? :p

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@Boosibri said:

One could argue slabbing isn't really necessary for such coins either, at least common varieties.

For better or worse, coin collecting at this level is a first-world hobby and not really about "needing".

I would make the argument that slabbing isn’t necessary. The difference is, at least that’s already been done.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@mynamespat said:
    What do you do if your P01 gets a gold bean? :p

Burn it!

I actually like the Fugio given the planchette quality and color 😱

edited November 8, 2020 12:09PM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@Boosibri said:

I would make the argument that slabbing isn’t necessary. The difference is, at least that’s already been done.

It could be useful for a PCGS CAC low ball set. After all, the Pogue Huguenot would qualify, but the Fivaz Huguenot wouldn't!

At some level, this is a hobby and about enjoyment. People enjoy coins in different ways.

Of note, some PCGS low ball sets have great names:

edited November 8, 2020 12:17PM

@Catbert said:
    I actually like the Fugio given the planchette quality and color 😱

I do as well and it's what drew me to it as my first low ball coin. :+1:

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never understood the attraction to these coins.... That being said, collecting is a hobby and we each have our personal preferences. I will say, those coins above are deserving of the grades. Cheers, RickO

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm starting to see the attraction of very early worn coins, such as the Fugio and the large cent. Lots of history likely behind those warhorses and clean surfaces. Would go for a few in my collection.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like your Fuechtwanger It was an eye catcher for that page for sure.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 22,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are all cool! I bid what I thought were strong bids on some of the moderns (the cool looking Franklin and the Ikes/Kennedies) yet was slammed out of all of them.

peacockcoins

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I recall I recently saw two Pogue 1798 Large Cents, PCGS 01s, on eBay. Cool lowball coppers...hard to beat.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@braddick said:
    Those are all cool! I bid what I thought were strong bids on some of the moderns (the cool looking Franklin and the Ikes/Kennedies) yet was slammed out of all of them.

It's pretty amazing how mainstream these are now. I remember you first posting about these here and your $1000 bounties!

edited November 10, 2020 3:36AM

@Dave99B said:
    As I recall I recently saw two Pogue 1798 Large Cents, PCGS 01s, on eBay. Cool lowball coppers...hard to beat.

Dave

Thanks for mentioning these! These are nice coins and I've been wondering how they'd do on the secondary market. One did better, one did worse.

It's interesting that the cert indicates "PCGS PO01" for both but the cert verification page indicates "PCGS PO01BN" for both.

1802 Draped Bust Large Cent - PCGS PO01 BN CAC - Ex-Brent Pogue
    PCGS Cert: 38505018
    PCGS Pop: 0/13/1034
    PCGS PG Value: $50.00

This coin is nice as you can still make out the bust on the obverse.

Auction history:

1802 Draped Bust Large Cent - PCGS PO01 BN CAC - Ex-Brent Pogue
    PCGS Cert: 38505019
    PCGS Pop: 0/13/1034
    PCGS PG Value: $50.00

This piece is more worn than the first but to the point it's hard to make out the design.

Auction history:

edited November 10, 2020 2:42AM

@pocketpiececommems said:
    I do like your Fuechtwanger It was an eye catcher for that page for sure.

Definitely :+1:

I'm still looking for a high grade specimen but I'm really happy to be able to add this one.

edited November 10, 2020 3:47AM

Okay, this is nice :)

I was so focused on my Fuechtwanger being featured in the Stack's headline image for the Fivaz sale that I only just noticed that my Huguenot is used as the background image! So both of my coins were featured by Stack's :)

edited November 10, 2020 4:31AM

This started as a whim from the Pogue sale to fan an existing interest. I'm curious to see where this will lead me now.

Here's one I'm debating on adding. What do people think? It's nice as a first year CC 1878-CC Morgan and it's CAC. This is a pop 13 so it's one of the higher pop coins out there. Of note, CoinFacts shows some FR02s but has no images of PO01s. I'm surprised the submitter went for the 30th Anniversary insert but didn't get a TrueView. It would be a shame to lose the slab to get a raw TrueView.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the eye appeal is off the charts for a P1!

@Zoins said:
    This started as a whim from the Pogue sale to fan an existing interest. I'm curious to see where this will lead me now.

Here's one I'm debating on adding. What do people think? It's nice as a first year CC 1878-CC Morgan and it's CAC. This is a pop 13 so it's one of the higher pop coins out there. Of note, CoinFacts shows some FR02s but has no images of PO01s. I'm surprised the submitter went for the 30th Anniversary insert but didn't get a TrueView. It would be a shame to lose the slab to get a raw TrueView.

Slabs, CAC, TVs.....madness!

Sparta!

edited November 10, 2020 6:44AM

@Catbert said:
    Slabs, CAC, TVs.....madness!

Sparta!

We haven't gone Plaid yet! We still need Lowball CAC Registry sets!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file