Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's your favorite card?

Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

What's your favorite card in your collection? Not the best or the most expensive - but what's the one that just makes your pulse race every time you look at it?

Mine is this one. I lived near Rocklin, CA growing up - where the Niners held training camp. in 1983 (I was 12), my dad took me to a practice. Back then, you could stand outside the locker room and walk with the players as they went back to their rooms between practices. Montana was clearly popular then, but getting his autograph wasn't terribly hard. He obviously took his time signing for me, and I've kept this card as pristine as possible all these years. It's close between this and my 1976 Walter Payton PSA 8 (he's my favorite player ever), but this Montana autograph has such a personal connection, it takes the crown for me.

Comments

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

This is currently one of my favorites simply because its a POP 1.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting my MJ rookie would be too easy so I’ll go with this one. I just love this image.

• Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

I am a big Canadian MMA fan/collector... Georges St Pierre is my favorite fighter, he is the reason I got into the hobby as I was looking for autograph items of his around 2004-5. Wish he would run for prime minister of Canada.

This is his 2009 Topps UFC RD 1 Red nickname auto (production run of 25). Round 1 was the first lic release and it was limited 500 cases release. All cards show an image of the fighter's debut fight. Shame the used poor stock notorious for chipping and bad corners/edges. This is actually his highest graded rd 1 auto.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

So hard to pick just one..but a toss up between these two. As a Met fan I would go with Seaver if push came to shove.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    So hard to pick just one..but a toss up between these two. As a Met fan I would go with Seaver if push came to shove.

Two of the very best cards of the decade.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Named for him, so Lance Alworth by default

Non-Alworth fave:

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2020 1:44PM

The greatest forward and the greatest defenseman of all time. One of Wayne’s favorite cards as a kid. You can tell by the time he took to place a fantastic Gretzky sig that he was very happy to sign it. Bobby signed it first. Wayne signed it a few years later.

• Options
    stevegarveyfanstevegarveyfan Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish PSA would grade this issue, but they won't.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously 😉

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2020 9:06AM

This card was obtained with my son, Monty. I loved when he was collecting. He never really got into it like I did, but maybe, someday, when he inherits the collection, he'll enjoy it more. We bought this card at a show a few years ago. It's the kind of thing I would walk right by if he wasn't with me as I have NO interest in todays stuff or players...but he flipped when he saw it. It was the first card that didn't have a Red Sox player on it that he ever liked! Anyway, because we were together and the day was so awesome, I just love the card now...kinda ugly though, Lol

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

That 52 Mays is jaw dropping. Great centering, color and registration.

• Options

@Vagabond said:
    That 52 Mays is jaw dropping. Great centering, color and registration.

Thank you! The centering and image were key for me. For some reason, the purple backdrop just lured me into the '52 Mays from the first time I held one when I was 12 years old.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options

@hyperchipper09

Non-Alworth fave:

Lol! We card collectors are always 11 years old when it comes to our stuff. When people asked my favorite card from my '77 set, I would say...ok...aside from the Cedeno, Richard and Lynn...
    The "Non-Alworth" designation is epic.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

I'm awestruck by the red portrait of the majestic Cobb
    while trying to imagine him on the ballfield during dead-ball era.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

my favorite card?

the next one! 😉