Home U.S. Coin Forum

► ► ► End of World War II 75th Anniversary Gold & Silver Medals 11/9/2020 ◄◄◄

KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 9, 2020 4:46PM in U.S. Coin Forum

On the heals of the Privy marked AGE & ASE the Mint is offering the End Of WW2 Comitatives in just 4 days. Note: The Gold is a half ounce

Half Ounce 24K Gold
https://catalog.usmint.gov/end-of-world-war-ii-75th-anniversary-24-karat-gold-coin-20XG.html?cgid=2020-product-schedule

One Ounce .999 Silver
https://catalog.usmint.gov/end-of-world-war-ii-75th-anniversary-silver-medal-20XH.html?cgid=2020-product-schedule

Comments

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'M IN...
    SILVER

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do people think there will be a similar level of interest in these?

liefgold
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver is a very expensive medal...

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not but I am not a medal collector so mine is an uninformed opinion

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the silver because the design is less busy. I wasn’t anticipating getting the SAE today but I had considered the medal. I like the idea.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the big boys want them then I’m in

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

I’m undecided on this issue. I think it’s a beautiful, well designed coin but being released so close to the eagles is leading me to pass. The eagles had the lure of the series, but I think this will do well.
    Low mintage, nice design and half ounce gold price should attract lots of people

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the silver medals’s COAs will be signed by the mint director.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@liefgold said:
    Do people think there will be a similar level of interest in these?

I think there will be interest but not the level of todays Privy marked AGE & ASE. Attractive design though.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only a handful of silver medal collectors, but I am one and I like it.

Does anyone know for sure if the WW2 gold $25 will be called an official US gold commemorative in US commemorative registry, or is this a special unique issue? Gold commemoratives are usually $5, or $10.

What is this going to be officially at PCGS?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

Thanks for the warning. I was going to get one but not now. I don't want to risk getting one of those COAs signed by the evil person responsible for yet another ordering debacle today. :D

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

fr? where was this shared? never saw that

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@Kliao said:

Thanks for the warning. I was going to get one but not now. I don't want to risk getting one of those COAs signed by the evil person responsible for yet another ordering debacle today. :D

😂

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:

@Kliao said:

fr? where was this shared? never saw that

I was just looking at the silver medal listing. Must have just added it. You can see it in the screen shots above.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

@Kliao said:

@JBK said:

@Kliao said:

I was just looking at the silver medal listing. Must have just added it. You can see it in the screen shots above.

sweet - thx for the heads up

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Silver Medal.
    Gold Reverse not so much.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ECHOES said:
    I'M IN...
    SILVER

+1

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish they offered the gold in 1/2 oz.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• AlongAlong Posts: 466 ✭✭✭✭

Mintage looks large relative to demand?

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

I believe that's what it is... right?

@ms70 said:

The Gold IS a half ounce

• GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭

Damn, they made the gold a coin, why not the silver?

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Undecided. Not sure I am ready for another possible fiasco like today....

----- kj
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chances at a quick sellout for either/both?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@GiveMeProof said:

The mint has existing legislative authority to mint gold bullion coins in any design, but no such discretion exists for silver coins. A WWII silver coin would have required that a specific law be passed to authorize it.

• HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

I like the design of these coins/medals, but they're definitely not eagles. That will influence demand downward, IMHO.

• GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@GiveMeProof said:

The mint has existing legislative authority to mint gold bullion coins in any design, but no such discretion exists for silver coins. A WWII silver coin would have required that a specific law be passed to authorize it.

Thanks JBK

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am still hoping for the ASE.....I keep checking the mint page. They are very nice medals/coins....but I really want the ASE... so will keep looking. Cheers, RickO

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

would never pay $1335 for that half oz of gold...however, the silver does look nice

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GiveMeProof said:

>
    To get a Silver coin it must be done by legislation. That's why all the difference options for the American Silver Eagle. Legislation allows it...

• F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

I like the design of the gold but the premium is pretty high. Does anyone think they will at least hold their value?

Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer

@F117ASR said:
    I like the design of the gold but the premium is pretty high. Does anyone think they will at least hold their value?

I like the design too. But unfortunately my Crystal Ball has been in the shop being calibrated and polished for several years now. B)

• F117ASRF117ASR Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭

Well, I might pick it up, it is unique and the mintage is low enough to hold the value

Beware of the flying monkeys!
    Aerospace Structures Engineer

@Kudbegud said:
    A THIRD Gold & Silver set is set for November 17th. Yes, a colab with Great Britten but, to me, counts as a 3rd set with Gold & Silver items for the month. I will open a new thread to cover these in a day or so.

When you do post it, please spell it "Great Britain". :D

I might be in for the silver set. Is the medal only available there?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2020 4:42PM

@JBK said:

@Kudbegud said:
    A THIRD Gold & Silver set is set for November 17th. Yes, a colab with Great Britten but, to me, counts as a 3rd set with Gold & Silver items for the month. I will open a new thread to cover these in a day or so.

Also availagle in the UK. It's the same Mayflower medal as the Mint one coupled with a UK coin. It's like the US/Canada set last year that was issued by both mints.

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Great Britain mayflower. May go to their website and get one if the price is reasonable.

Nevermind they only have a silver 2£ and it is 70£ plus shipping.

• USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭

I haven't seen anything yet about any premiums for the $25 1/2 oz gold. I'm hoping over the weekend that we see some activity. On CCE, I've seen some activity for up to $10,000 now for the gold WWII Eagle. Crazy. Wish I got one but I'll have to live with my silver Eagle Privy Mark. Here's hoping they react like the 1995-W Proof Eagles. For $85, I'll hold it and not sell it for $400-500.

Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.

@JBK said:

@Kudbegud said:

In my haste my internal spell checker went into sleep mode. Thanks. I'll correct it now.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the fence with the Mayflower issue... :/

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
    edited November 6, 2020 6:23PM

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:
    I like the Great Britain mayflower. May go to their website and get one if the price is reasonable.

You can get it on the US Mint site. Shipped by US Mail. Bought on the British site will involve money exchange rate and British shipping which will delay arrival to you. That trip across the pond is a lengthily one. Avoiding ice bergs and all that.

@USCGCraig said:
    I haven't seen anything yet about any premiums for the $25 1/2 oz gold. I'm hoping over the weekend that we see some activity. On CCE, I've seen some activity for up to $10,000 now for the gold WWII Eagle. Crazy. Wish I got one but I'll have to live with my silver Eagle Privy Mark. Here's hoping they react like the 1995-W Proof Eagles. For $85, I'll hold it and not sell it for $400-500.

The price is shown on the web page already. Check to first post or the Mint page. Link in the first post also. It's about double the current spot price. $1,335

@Kudbegud said:

@Mdcoincollector2003 said:

You can get it on the US Mint site. Shipped by US Mail. Bought on the British site will involve money exchange rate and British shipping which will delay arrival to you. That trip across the pond is a lengthily one. Avoiding ice bergs and all that.

Do you have a link. I only see the medal and the set. I only want the British one. I don’t think I’ll get it though too pricey

Sorry Md. Only sold as a set.

sounds like a handful of yall haven't really checked out the royal mint mayflower offerings and the ones that the us mint is selling - they are unique from one another

the royal mint solo gold is composed of yellow and red gold, whereas the us mint sold uk gold is only yellow gold

same with the silvers - the royal mint solo silvers have a gold-plated rim, and the us mint sold uk silver is solid rimless silver

to collect all the unique variations, you should really try to pick up the royal mint solo gold [sold out at mint] + silver, and then pick up the unique products in the us mint mayflower offerings; would make a beautiful complete set

royal mint silver & gold

us mint silver and gold uk coins

I recall the good old days when the RM had a US office so you could order domestically.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

The price is shown on the web page already. Check to first post or the Mint page. Link in the first post also. It's about double the current spot price. $1,335

London Fix - 11/6/20 PM = $1,940.80
    Source: https://www.kitco.com/market/

1/2 oz. - Spot = (1/2)*$1,940.80 = $970.40
    1/2 oz. - Coin (20XG) = $1,335.00

Premium (Over Spot) = [($1,335.00-$970.40)/$970.40]*100% = 37.6%

Bump
    In preparation for noon Monday 11/9

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights