Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

► ► ► End of World War II 75th Anniversary Gold & Silver Medals 11/9/2020 ◄◄◄

13»

Comments

• Options

I gave up, had a silver in bag but never let me checkout. When I got back in ten minutes later it made me remove it from my bag as no more available. I thought once it was in the bag you could leave it there until checkout.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I was verry surprised with the Mint website issues this morning. I was completely shutout with all the aforementioned "rinse and repeat" issues in this thread.

Were all those who posed previously with "pass" or "not interested" in today's release just sandbagging the rest of us? I was able to order a v75 ASE last Thursday but struck out completely today.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Played pickleball this morning. Screw the mint. :/

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

I sense there will be significant buyers remorse on many of these, especially the gold as the price of gold tanks. Be patient, I'll bet the secondary market will be to the collector's advantage at the expense of flippers.

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2020 1:12PM

@Mark1010 said:

I thought once it was in the bag you could leave it there until checkout.

Sure, why not. I know there is a red button that says REMOVE FROM BAG but at least you have a headstart for tomorrow..

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    these are in the sold section of eBay

wow.... some not informed buyers

and confirmed some scammy sales where they SAY medal, but SHOW the v75 ase - these buyers are gonna be ... disappointed

It'll be an open & shut "item not as described" case. I do agree the medal/ASE could have been named better.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please oh Please Mint...... fix the catalog computers before the next "Empty Your Wallet" offering this month - the Mayflower joint Gold & Silver set with Great Britain. on the 17th.

You're Killing Us !

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

My iPhone with a WiFi connection failed me today with the U.S. Mint.

Or, was it the other way around?

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halfpence said:
    I sense there will be significant buyers remorse on many of these, especially the gold as the price of gold tanks. Be patient, I'll bet the secondary market will be to the collector's advantage at the expense of flippers.

I had to work and have limited internet access in the field, can't believe this sold out in a few hours. How fast before it was unavailable?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

can't believe this sold out in a few hours. How fast before it was unavailable?

I'm not sure about the gold, but the silver went unavailable mid-purchase for me in 35 minutes.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

can't believe this sold out in a few hours. How fast before it was unavailable?

I'm not sure about the gold, but the silver went unavailable mid-purchase for me in 35 minutes.

Gold was gone in 8 minutes or so I think. Lots of issues checking out. Silver was up for maybe 30?

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

I checked our host's and ngcs articles about the wwii gold coin and silver medal, and saw no mention of 'slabbing' the signed certs that will come w x# of the medals - was this info so new that they haven't had time to prep a strategy for it, or do yall think they won't be giving this medal's signed certs the same treatment they gave the erp ase signed certs?

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to wonder how much interest there will be in the longterm on the silver medal.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no choice but to wait and purchase these on the secondary market.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

insane process.. preaching to the choir. lucked out on the gold and silver. want to get them slabbed but not sure if with PCGS what options to select, it looks like we cant designate 1st strike either...any help would be appreciated in terms of the options.. Thinking the Service Level = Modern, Modern Gold, or is it special? any advice is appreciated

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoa! Keep checking on these things! The 24K $25 gold just became available at 5:32 my time (PST), so I snagged one. Confirmed order already!

• Options

@mbogoman said:
    Whoa! Keep checking on these things! The 24K $25 gold just became available at 5:32 my time (PST), so I snagged one. Confirmed order already!

What??? That's crazy! What is the mint doing???
    Congrats though!!!!

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

Just received notice that the silver I ordered shipped today

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

These $25 Gold coins might start getting cancelled or returned to the Mint if no profit on them becomes the norm.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Got a silver this morning!!!! Woo Hoo! USM08854** The window was only open for a moment. The gold was available as well, for about a minute longer.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just noticed I have a Silver Medal in the bag on my phone, didn't notice until now as I was working with laptop.
    OK Boys and Girls, fill me in as I would love to have for my collection, what's the best way to proceed?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@ECHOES said:
    I just noticed I have a Silver Medal in the bag on my phone, didn't notice until now as I was working with laptop.
    OK Boys and Girls, fill me in as I would love to have for my collection, what's the best way to proceed?

You may have one in your bag, but cannot purchase it unless the item becomes "available", if even for a brief 20 second window. You have to be spot on. Capture the moment at the exact second. Good luck.

• Options

@Onastone said:

@ECHOES said:

You may have one in your bag, but cannot purchase it unless the item becomes "available", if even for a brief 20 second window. You have to be spot on. Capture the moment at the exact second. Good luck.

Shows on my laptop now as well, very strange, wasn't there this-morning?

• Options

Also interesting, with the silver medals, a handful of COA's will be signed.

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

I’m so confused. I had a V75 AGE in my cart yesterday morning, I log on in the evening, and it turned into the silver medal.

I then was able to get through on the silver medal this morning by pure luck (wish I had that luck on the AGE lol).

• Options

@Weather11am said:
    I’m so confused. I had a V75 AGE in my cart yesterday morning, I log on in the evening, and it turned into the silver medal.

I then was able to get through on the silver medal this morning by pure luck (wish I had that luck on the AGE lol).

Very strange...

• Options
    edited November 13, 2020 10:04AM

@Onastone said:
    Also interesting, with the silver medals, a handful of COA's will be signed.

hope if a forum member gets one of these, they post a photo - also, still haven't seen any special coa slab offers by grading institutions 👀...

• Options

Silver Medal shipped today...

• Options

Well, against my better judgement, I bought the gold coin, which just arrived. It is a beautiful coin, no doubt. My wife really likes it, too, and she isn’t really into coins.

I’m struggling with the fact that I’m $400 in the hole out of the gate. My guess is that gold is on a downward trajectory, meaning that gap will only widen if I’m right. Also, the coin is really only selling at cost on EBay (after fees), so I suspect the value will slowly drop. What are your opinions? Keep or return? I’ve got seven days to decide.

• Options

@Halfpence said:
    Well, against my better judgement, I bought the gold coin, which just arrived. It is a beautiful coin, no doubt. My wife really likes it, too, and she isn’t really into coins.

I’m struggling with the fact that I’m $400 in the hole out of the gate. My guess is that gold is on a downward trajectory, meaning that gap will only widen if I’m right. Also, the coin is really only selling at cost on EBay (after fees), so I suspect the value will slowly drop. What are your opinions? Keep or return? I’ve got seven days to decide.

Keep it. Long on gold

• Options

I was lucky enough to purchase the silver medal today. Don't have much interest in it except for the possibility that it might be hand signed. If I open it and it is signed does it lose significant value? Or should I just send to PCGS for grading in the off chance it is signed? What would you guys do?

• Options

personally, im opening mine - not going to pay 20 for an unsigned cert to be slabbed - ridiculous

• Options

@ɹoʇɔǝlloɔ said:
    personally, im opening mine - not going to pay 20 for an unsigned cert to be slabbed - ridiculous

Valid point. I also have the 24-karat gold coin that i probably will get graded. Thought it might be a more cohesive set for resale if both were graded

• Options

We'll, as much as I like this coin, I've decided to return it. I just can't justify the expense given the poor returns I'm seeing. I'll look for it at my LCS in the next year to see if I can find it for near spot.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    These $25 Gold coins might start getting cancelled or returned to the Mint if no profit on them becomes the norm.

Wondercoin

Duds ...dump

• Options

Silver Medal due today...

• Options

@Danno44 said:

@Halfpence said:
    We'll, as much as I like this coin, I've decided to return it. I just can't justify the expense given the poor returns I'm seeing. I'll look for it at my LCS in the next year to see if I can find it for near spot.

Maybe post it on BST for someone here who wanted one and missed out. You recoup your costs and someone here gets one...just a thought. Good karma and all and you don’t lose any money.

I would do as you suggest if I had confidence in transactions through a forum like this, but I don’t. I’ve read about people losing a lot of money, so I’m cautious.

I had the coin packaged up for return, and wondered if an LCS would be interested. I called one, who had no interest. Called another, who wasn’t sure which coin I was talking about. They asked how much I was asking, and I told them $75 over what I spent. They did some EBay research, and told me that $75 was too little, thinking I paid near spot. They offered $1,000. I told them I paid $1335. They said, Oh, well, what the heck, how about $1,400? I said, “I’ll be right down”. I hated to see this one go, but I really don’t think it will retain its value. I’m lucky to have made $60 out of the deal.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Halfpence said:

@Danno44 said:

@Halfpence said:

Maybe post it on BST for someone here who wanted one and missed out. You recoup your costs and someone here gets one...just a thought. Good karma and all and you don’t lose any money.

I would do as you suggest if I had confidence in transactions through a forum like this, but I don’t. I’ve read about people losing a lot of money, so I’m cautious.

I had the coin packaged up for return, and wondered if an LCS would be interested. I called one, who had no interest. Called another, who wasn’t sure which coin I was talking about. They asked how much I was asking, and I told them $75 over what I spent. They did some EBay research, and told me that $75 was too little, thinking I paid near spot. They offered $1,000. I told them I paid $1335. They said, Oh, well, what the heck, how about $1,400? I said, “I’ll be right down”. I hated to see this one go, but I really don’t think it will retain its value. I’m lucky to have made $60 out of the deal.

Almost nothing the Mint issues retains its value. Even if you score one of the limited edition hits like V75 AGE, it is probably a mistake to not flip it and try to buy it back more cheaply later.

• Options

I think you’re right about that, but the 2019 erp may be an exception. Will see about the V75 ASE.

• Options

@Halfpence said:
    I think you’re right about that, but the 2019 erp may be an exception. Will see about the V75 ASE.

Even the 2019 ERP@Halfpence said:

Even the 2019 ERP you would have been better off flipping it last year and buying it back this year.

• Options

Missed out on Day of Issue, I was able to acquire one on 17 Nov via the USM 0730 offerings... :#

• Options

Nice job!

• Options

@ECHOES said:
    Missed out on Day of Issue, I was able to acquire one on 17 Nov via the USM 0730 offerings... :#

I do like the design

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Design. When the price settles down I may consider picking one up.
    Two PR70 sales from yesterday, good ole auction style.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file