No politics; sanity check election thread!

Options
chesterb
chesterb Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2, 2020 4:22PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is a "no-politics" election edition coin thread! I need a sanity check and want something to get my mind off the next few days. Maybe a new thread on coins will help! :)

Please tell me your favorite coin series and coin within that series. For me, there are so many to choose from but I'm currently digging Liberty Quarter and Half Eagles because there are so many rare dates to choose from, many of which, aren't selling for much of a premium over their bullion price. If I had to choose a favorite it would be the 1839 Half Eagle because it is effectively a one year sub-type.

Maybe the forum members can give me some ideas and get me excited. What's your favorite series and coin? :)

Again, coin discussion only please!!

Comments

  • MsMorrisine
    MsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I want to buy everything.

    if I bought up everything in a "series" then I'd buy an example of each pattern.

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • ricko
    ricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I like the $5 Indian Gold coins.... Large enough to feel the heft and appreciate the design, small enough to afford. Cheers, RickO

  • 3stars
    3stars Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Gold Sovereigns from England. 14 different obverses (since 1817), with most being able to get at bullion pricing, even for nice examples. If you really wanted to go whole hog there are I think 200+ varieties / mintmarks / minor changes and special issues.

    Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • cladking
    cladking Posts: 30,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @clarkbar04 said:
    In my next coin thread I’m going to ask people specifically not to mention Sasquatch.

    Half dollars.

    Betcha can't run around the house three times without thinking about Sasquatch.

    tempus fugit extra philosophiam.
  • Mgarmy
    Mgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    ASE proofs in 70. Harder than you would think.

    100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

  • chesterb
    chesterb Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I've already got some neat ideas to consider and research! Thanks!!

  • MsMorrisine
    MsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    if you want a neat idea do the full type set in top pop key date coins.

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • oih82w8
    oih82w8 Posts: 13,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Type coins for me. I find it boring looking at the same design in a collection.

    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

    BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • chesterb
    chesterb Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @Oldhoopster said:
    I'm confused? If you don't want to talk about politics, why mention it in both the title and the post? Couldn't you have just started your new thread with the second paragraph and skip all of the other stuff? Just curious.

    Yes, I could have. I was just thinking about the best thread to get my mind off things and thought this would do. I probably shouldn't have or did not need to elaborate on the reasoning.

  • TurtleCat
    TurtleCat Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I’m actually settling on gold dollar coins and large size dollar notes as my areas of interest. I still have other coins but I may slowly whittle those down and only do those two. I don’t think I have a favorite coin but the closes would be my 1851-C $1 and I’m close to obtaining an 1859-D $1. Those two would be my favorites.

  • asheland
    asheland Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Most pre-33 gold. pretty examples



  • marcmoish
    marcmoish Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @Jimnight said:

    @crazyhounddog said:
    It’s probably no surprise to anyone here on this forum that my series is the, unmistakable US coin, the mighty buffalo nickel. It’s been my passion for about 60 years now. I discovered when I was a Cub Scout that I loved them like no other US coin. It’s not even hard for me to pick my favorite coin from this series either. It’s the 1913 type 1 just the way James Earl Fraser designed the coin. Here’s 3 from my collection that I’ve loved for many, many years.

    65,66 & 67+






    You the man ... you the man ... you the man ... you the man ....

    you cudda just stated +1 or THIS and saved me from scrolling thru these gems again.

  • chesterb
    chesterb Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Beautiful buffs!

  • PQueue
    PQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    Options

    RE: If I had to choose a favorite it would be the 1839 Quarter Eagle because it is effectively a one year type.

    chesterb, you better take a second look. The 1939 Classic Head $2 1/2 is a very rare item in Mint State, definitely underappreciated. However, it is anything but a "one year type". Classic Head quarter eagles ran from 1834 through 1939. The 1839 Liberty Half Eagle should be considered a 1 year type, but in reality both the Liberty half eagles, and first 2 years of Liberty Eagles, are considered sub-types. Good luck with your pursuits.

  • P0CKETCHANGE
    P0CKETCHANGE Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2020 2:49PM
    Options

    I love Barber coinage, but specifically proofs of the quarter and half variety (I like the Eagle reverse better than the dime). The 1914 is my favorite because mintage is just 380 pieces for the quarter and half. Prices have dropped quite a bit for proof barbers which have made them more accessible from a budget perspective. Here are the two I have — still looking for a nice 1914 dime.


  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I like the op idea. Liberty QE’s and HE’s. Even if ALL else fails you have intrinsic value.

  • amwldcoin
    amwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Barbers baby, Barbers!

  • johnny9434
    johnny9434 Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I wonder what the yeti quarter is gonna look like

  • chesterb
    chesterb Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @PQueue said:
    RE: If I had to choose a favorite it would be the 1839 Quarter Eagle because it is effectively a one year type.

    chesterb, you better take a second look. The 1939 Classic Head $2 1/2 is a very rare item in Mint State, definitely underappreciated. However, it is anything but a "one year type". Classic Head quarter eagles ran from 1834 through 1939. The 1839 Liberty Half Eagle should be considered a 1 year type, but in reality both the Liberty half eagles, and first 2 years of Liberty Eagles, are considered sub-types. Good luck with your pursuits.

    Oh boy! Thanks for the facts check! You're right, I misspoke. The Half Eagle was the one I was thinking of. I changed my post above.

  • YQQ
    YQQ Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Just to be odd (someone else mentioned non-US coins):
    Newfoundland (Canada) $2 Gold coins.
    If NFL would be a US state, these $2 coins would have a 5-10 time the price tag they have now.
    there is a long standing rumor:
    One day we wake up and all our NFL coins are 3x in Value and everything above XE grade will be 5-10 times.
    And just think, there is a place in the world where tomorrow is nearly over already! :)

    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • chesterb
    chesterb Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @YQQ said:
    Just to be odd (someone else mentioned non-US coins):
    Newfoundland (Canada) $2 Gold coins.
    If NFL would be a US state, these $2 coins would have a 5-10 time the price tag they have now.
    there is a long standing rumor:
    One day we wake up and all our NFL coins are 3x in Value and everything above XE grade will be 5-10 times.
    And just think, there is a place in the world where tomorrow is nearly over already! :)

    Those look really cool! I'm going to add them to my research.

  • pursuitofliberty
    pursuitofliberty Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @chesterb

    Anyone paying attention would know you are quietly assembling one of the best circulated type coin collections out there right now.

    You don't need a distraction.

    You are doing the double crawfish.

    You are trying to distract us!

    Sneaky bastage

    :D


    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • YQQ
    YQQ Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I already have that collection..

    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Azjedi
    Azjedi Posts: 60 ✭✭✭
    Options

    My favorite coin series is the Franklin Half Dollar. I am working on a Dansco book of Franklins and i'm almost done with it!

  • koynekwest
    koynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Buffalo nickels, of course! My favorite is a toss-up between these three-


  • ChrisH821
    ChrisH821 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @SeattleSlammer said:

    @asheland said:

    >

    On his morning walk to work that fateful day Grader Glen was rocking out to Phil Collins on his Walkman and unwittingly smacked his head very hard on a low hanging branch. The rest of the day was a bit of a blur. But he did his best.

    If you squint the 3 looks like a 5...

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Catbert
    Catbert Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @pursuitofliberty said:
    @chesterb

    Anyone paying attention would know you are quietly assembling one of the best circulated type coin collections out there right now.

    You don't need a distraction.

    You are doing the double crawfish.

    You are trying to distract us!

    Sneaky bastage

    :D

    I too was wondering about his "take no prisoners" (we were forewarned) type set. Is @chesterb done with this? I'd love to see a link so I can admire his collection.

    Seated Half Society member #38

    "She comes out of the sun in a silk dress,
    running like a water color in the rain...."
  • ECHOES
    ECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    It's special... ;)

    ~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • MsMorrisine
    MsMorrisine Posts: 40,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Change of Topic? Is It OK?

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Zoins
    Zoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2020 5:11AM
    Options

    I love Seated Dollars.

    At one point, I'd love to have a Flying Eagle reverse, but not yet.

    Here's my favorite for now:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file