Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bid on an auction coin with only a description, no images and...

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2020 8:10AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I am very happy with this new addition! The low mintage 1885 Seated half is one of the tougher later dates, this one grades XF-40.

The coin came from Alaska Rare Coins, based in Fairbanks. I actually visited their shop back in 2018 and found it to be top shelf place for coins. Knowing that, I took the chance based on the description of the coin, which turned out to be spot on.

"Seated Liberty Half Dollar, 1885, PCGS XF-40. A rare date in the series with only 5,200 struck!
Philadelphia mintages of half dollars from 1879 to 1890 were incredibly low with no branch mint
production. A problem free example with medium gray toning and light contrast on the raised
devices."

Their auctions are run twice a year, definitely worthy to check out!

Edited to add: I paid $750 for this coin.

Comments

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty nice looking coin. Good buy hopefully.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

JACKPOT! At least it was graded by PCGS so not a complete shot in the dark. Prior to TPG and even for a long time after most of the coins sold at auction by the major auction houses had descriptions only, I know that for a fact, I have plenty of them that I purchased back in the day.

Looks like you did well. I like it a lot.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great acquisition. Good to hear about a source with accurate descriptions, although no picture. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a nice example

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda like the old days! Nice pickup!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone here remember Teletrade before computers were household items? All you had to go on was a written description of the coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding purchase!! Coin has a perfect xf look to it

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice. Off to Far Hills NJ with it!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.

Reminds me of the earlier days of Ebay when pictures were not required and not all that common. I sold a few raw Indian Head cents in AU/Unc condition based on text description alone. Luckily some buyers took a shot and they were all very happy (I had described them as XF+).

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when I 1st started selling on ebay I had no pictures. My 1st coin pictures set up cost around $700.00 and my increase in sales paid for it the 1st week!

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Anyone here remember Teletrade before computers were household items? All you had to go on was a written description of the coin.

I used to get a lot of Teletrade coins by bidding on the phone using the descriptions with no pictures from their catalogs. I got a few dogs of course but to ne honest i got a lot of nice coins. Maybe i was lucky!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's wholesome with a lot of meat!

Nice acquisition and VERY scarce.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Bravo!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Nice coin and spot on description by Alaska Rare Coins!

I'll have to visit the next time I'm in Fairbanks!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice!

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alaska rare coins is the only gig in town, next nearest is anchorage. They have been great to work with and their auctions bring out some interesting stuff.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have dealt with Alaska Rare Coins several times via the internet. No problems ever.

I remember Teletrade. Sold lots of stuff there in the early 90s.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why don’t they have pictures in their auctions? Maybe I’m missing something but it’s almost 2021.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gutsy move, but paid off well. Thanks for sharing a beautiful Liberty Seated Half Dollar.
    Jm

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    Why don’t they have pictures in their auctions? Maybe I’m missing something but it’s almost 2021.

I'm not exactly sure on that, but I'm betting they'd get even more bites on some of their items since they have some of everything in their auctions, raw and slabbed. It definitely helped me get that 1885 for somewhat less than what has been won in other auctions. Now I need to wait for an 1881, 1886 or 1887 that looks like my 1885!

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

@skier07 said:

I'm not exactly sure on that, but I'm betting they'd get even more bites on some of their items since they have some of everything in their auctions, raw and slabbed. It definitely helped me get that 1885 for somewhat less than what has been won in other auctions. Now I need to wait for an 1881, 1886 or 1887 that looks like my 1885!

It’s good for you, less competition. I wouldn’t bid on a coin without an image and I have a very high level of risk and lots of gamble in me. I noticed they have a very primitive website.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a two man shop. The last auction had nearly 400 items in it, that’s a lot to write up let alone photograph and potentially put on a website. Us Fairbanksans need one thing that makes being in person to view an advantage 😁

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file