Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you have coins in your collection that are only worth face value?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

If so, and you kind of like them, this is the thread to share with others!
(This is a no shame, guilt free thread.)

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 3:25AM

As far as face value coins in my collection, I have tons of them that I have accumulated over the decades! I have rolls of old Jeff’s and wheat cents pulled from circulation. Jars and cans of state quarters, Kennedy half dollars, SBAs, Ike’s, etc. I could go on and on. I even keep just about all of my pocket change, but I do try to get rid of the cents, especially the zincolns.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

1999 quarters to present date, copper cents/pennies, and a few others piled up some where

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a coin folder with all 50 state quarters found in circulation. Does that count? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if someone has a binder of Wawa parking lot coins? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. My Washington quarter album of 1932-1974 has some clads I literally pulled from change. Same with my Lincoln album of 1909-1995.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have many such coins.... Bicentennial quarters, Kennedy halves, SBA's I got in change, coin jars full of pocket change - separated into cents, nickels, dimes and quarters.....Others just put away such as dateless Buffs and wheat cents. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to maintain a circulated set of Roosevelt Dimes. The album is still on my shelf, so there is my "face value" collection. I also have a few modern coins in slabs for my registry set that aren't worth much more than face value if they weren't certified. I also "inherited" a set of State Quarters from my mother-in-law that is in a Littleton Album.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost felt the need to go
    to confession and ask for absolution, after opening this thread. Forgive me, Father...

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some Canadian that is worth less than face value. :D

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not only are they worth only face value - they are even slabbed by PCGS! Thats because for inventory, storage, etc, I pay to get many circulated minor varieties in holders. This one does not even have a value listed in the price guide. But it is a cool variety/cud.

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't that the origins of coin collecting? and Yes, I am guilty as charged your honor.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll know better when I try to sell them.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Only the majority of my collection. The rest are killer value.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, wondering why...
    This was, is, the way I collected when I was young.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have 30% of the face value plus labor putting it in the holder. And by golly, I can get 90% of it back if I put it in the coin star machine.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Washintons, Kennedys, Ikes, and Lincolns.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got many many bank rolls of ucirculated state quarters and presidential dollars, and a brick of two thousand 2005D buffalo nickels, all bought at face value.

If I get the gumption later, I'll haul em out and take a picture.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file