Home U.S. Coin Forum

1889-CC Morgan Dollar Recently Discovered - Looking For Advice

My great Aunt used to gift me coins when I was a kid in the 1990s. I took them out of storage for the first time in 25 years this week and discovered a 1889-CC Morgan Dollar. She'd used scotch tape to mount several coins to a piece of felt (behind a glass frame). A local dealer indicated that this coin would grade at least an XF40, but could receive a "detail" distinction.

Has anyone had experience with this situation? The tape left no residue and no cleaning/dipping has ever been done to the coin, the mark is purely aesthetics.

Is this a coin you'd recommend grading? Any other advice as to how marks like this are perceived among the coin collecting community for desirable coins? Has anyone had experience with conservation/restoration through a major grading company? Thanks!

Comments

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would try to have an 89-CC like this graded as is. If there is no foreign substance on the coin, the untoned part where the tape was shouldn't really affect grading.

The thing is, I have a funny feeling about this coin. Can you show a close-up of the mint mark?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2020 7:49PM

this is not a situation that calls for conservation.

I have seen what appeared to be tape lines on morgans before but they were all the way across. this is a bit distracting but does not warrant conservation.

if genuine, i'd say it'd get a number grade not details.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • @messydesk @MsMorrisine Thank you both for your feedback and advice!

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ring ding around 8pm. Not too bad though

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the pics I would say that you have a good coin. It would be worth it to send it in for grading and would likely grade XF40 possibly XF45. The reverse would turn some people off to the coin so it would probably sell at a discount compared to a similar example with no distractions.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with @morgandollar1878

Looks like a good coin, and you'll probably do better to have it graded.

I might wash that in acetone first though. Don't do it yourself unless you know what you are doing, but I think I see some areas that MIGHT be a little suspect, and it never hurts to make sure there isn't anything there BEFORE you encapsulate.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel better about it with the larger mint mark picture. Get it graded.

• NapNap Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you wish to sell it, you should have it certified. There are many fakes of this date out there and authentication will help you get a stronger price.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any 89CC I would have graded regardless of any problems it may have.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great great find!

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find in your old collection....Definitely worth submitting for grading. Let us know when you get the results. And check the other coins from your Aunt. Never know what else may be hiding there. Cheers, RickO

• JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice 4 figure coin.
    Get it verified and graded.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"

DO

NOT

CLEAN

IT

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, it should be graded/slabbed as there are a large number of fakes on the market. The tape mark will cause it to be discounted somewhat but, if graded and slabbed it will still bring good money.

All glory is fleeting.
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would soak her in some acetone to remove any tape residue. I think she would grade XF40 as well. Would be 45 but the rim ding will knock it down a grade I believe.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful find from your aunt.

Many happy BST transactions

if you use acetone, soak it ... do not rub it.

the acetone from home despot is what you want

the goal with acetone is to remove any potential, hard to see residue from the tape.

the tape mark will remain

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coin! Definitely have it graded(any 89-CC should be IMO) and I don't think it needs any conservation, someone will want it just the way it is.

@MFeld said:

@Mgarmy said:
    Ring ding around 8pm. Not too bad though

How do you know it’s 8pm, as opposed to 8am?😉

Haven't you been informed? Reverse rim dings are PM, obverse rim dings are AM. ;)

Collector, occasional seller

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, I like it a lot. (Thank you grandma)

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 8:39AM

Comparing your 89-CC to mine (NGC XF40), I think you might be closer to the XF45 range:

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

a great find! out of all the info, the most amazing thing to me is such sage advice from some random dealer. not many stories like that come through these boards...

welcome to the forum.

@jpoarudly

if you have any sentimental value to the coin and not to just sell it off, you may desire to ask the grading service if they can add some designation to the coin. a few other members here have done so. ie "dads dollar" was one that was used recently and was on the insert for the coin.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would call that a 45, but think the toning will cause a net grade to 40.

Lovely example.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 8:34AM

@DelawareDoons said:

Lovely example.

Toning should have absolutely no bearing on the assigned grade of the coin. It does, however, look like a 45 to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very NICE GIFT!
    Get it graded and yes acetone will not harm it. NOT Nail Polish, pure acetone.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

@MFeld said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Lovely example.

Toning should have absolutely no bearing on the assigned grade of the coin. It does, however, look like a 45 to me.

Just my opinion. You and I both know market grading is a thing. Also toning can certainly affect grade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UcNbPbu9u8

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@MFeld said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Lovely example.

Just my opinion. You and I both know market grading is a thing. Also toning can certainly affect grade.

While toning and eye-appeal can affect a coin’s grade, that’s far more likely to occur on Mint state and Proof coins. And it shouldn’t do so in this instance, as at the XF level, the amount of wear is the key determinant.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a pleasant surprise! Wow! Yes leave it as is and have it graded by our host. Looks XF40.
    congrats!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkeigwin said:
    Yes, get it graded.

There is no downside to an acetone dip. The hazy reverse may warrant it. I don't think it's risky. Acetone can't hurt it and will remove any PVC slime from storage in an old flip.
    Lance.

Only downside to an Acetone dip, is you need to be cautious working with Acetone. That was what my comment was getting at.

As others have said, if you do it, just swish it in clean acetone, and then maybe again in a fresh batch. There are a lot of good threads about the process here if you search a bit. As said, DON'T rub it.

But be safe if you do it. Use Acetone in a well ventilated are and be careful not to get on your skin or in your eyes. It's flammable as all get out, and toxic to boot. A drop or too on your skin is nothing major, but bigger exposure or even a minor droplet on a sensitive area can get to be a issue in a hurry.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good points, Todd. Another caution is to always use glass jars or metal tins, never plastic. And keep it away from slabs!

I'm a little careless about getting it on my fingers. Growing up I watched my mother and sisters bathe their finger tips in the stuff to remove nail polish. Shocking today.
    Lance.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone is not only great for coins but if you want to stop chewing your nails, just a quick application of acetone on your fingers will stop that habit.....quick!
    Tastes like crap!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

@MFeld said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@MFeld said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Lovely example.

While toning and eye-appeal can affect a coin’s grade, that’s far more likely to occur on Mint state and Proof coins. And it shouldn’t do so in this instance, as at the XF level, the amount of wear is the key determinant.

The key determinant, but not the only one. The toning is unattractive and on a pricey coin like this one, a single grade hit would be easily justifiable and fair. Just my two cents.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

The general condition of the tough cc morgan looks high end and original. Probably there is no way to conserve/restore the coin to address the untoned patch, the rest of the coin looks normal gun metal in toning.

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

With a coin like that wouldn't it be good to see what PCGS could do with it? The initial price (gift) and value of the coin might make it a good one to send in for the service and grading.

don't waste money even trying to conserve it. but send it in for grading.

• Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I remember someone linking to a thread about quick things to look for re distinguishing genuine and fake rare coins. Perhaps someone can dig it up. I know the 1889 CC Morgan was included as one of the coins, and I think the diagnostic test for it is a simple one. From the pic, it seems okay to me, but this is not my series.

• I would definitely get it graded and consider it a " Good coin".
    Thinking XF45.
    Best of luck :)

• Thanks to all who have responded with feedback and advice! What a great forum!

post pictures here when you get results back.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Date position and mint mark position matches genuine 1889-CC VAM-2.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file