Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ok, there were 2 significant auctions across the pond recently

By significant I mean there were some scarce and rare world coins auctioned .....

Anyone buy anything ?

https://www.numisor.ch/

https://or-numismatique-monaco.com/en/auctions

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options

I won one lot from Numisor . Lot number 434 a Icelandic 1925 2 Kronur in a NGC MS-65 Holder With three known in this grade and none higher. I was the first to have a Unc 25 2Kronur graded by any of the thrid party graders it was a one in MS-63 grade.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes there were some nice coins

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Una was just a bit too much! Can still get a very nice house for that....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not from those. My bidding funds were tied up in an Italian auction. I foolishly did not take a photo before sending off for a grading event. Some interesting items were going through.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I just saw it otherwise I would bid on some. Is the result including the fee?

• Options

@jt88 said:
    Oh, I just saw it otherwise I would bid on some. Is the result including the fee?

No it was not...They added another 20% for the buyer's fee plus shipping . I payed over $ 800 USD

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:
    I bought this coin don’t ask me why .

Hey, thats not a Cap and Rays 8R!

Interesting that both sides show evidence of the double strike. Usually just the obverse does as the planchet continues to rest on the anvil die when the hammer comes down the second time.

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    This from Numis Or for my collection. NGC 65PL. Not a great image, but thought it worth the gamble.

A lovely design! Definitely worth the gamble! I hope you'll share new photos when you get around to it.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatAR said:

@MrEureka said:
    This from Numis Or for my collection. NGC 65PL. Not a great image, but thought it worth the gamble.

A lovely design! Definitely worth the gamble! I hope you'll share new photos when you get around to it.

I am also keen to see photos when it arrives. I bet it looks awesome in hand.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better pics. (No idea how I did that to the reverse.)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

I was outbid on lot 835 at the auction of MDC Monaco

GRÈCE
    Georges Ier (1863-1913). 5 drachmes 1875 A, Paris.Av. Tête nue à gauche. Rv. Écu couronné posé sur un manteau.Km. 46. 25,00 g.PCGS MS 64. À l’état de frappe, magnifique patine, presque Fleur de coin

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2020 3:40PM

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I bought one ancient in MDC, a tetradrachm of Antigonus Doson:

It's been an incredibly busy auction season with more than one sale per day on many days... I've had three days of 4am wakeups with two different auctions open in browsers side-by-side.

This isa superb coin . I believe the obverse portrait served as a model for the 1930 version of the 20 drachmai. Or I might be wrong, I can’t look it up right now, but a relative resemblance definitely exists (obverse only).

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SYRACUSIAN said:

@SmEagle1795 said:
    I bought one ancient in MDC, a tetradrachm of Antigonus Doson:

It's been an incredibly busy auction season with more than one sale per day on many days... I've had three days of 4am wakeups with two different auctions open in browsers side-by-side.

This isa superb coin . I believe the obverse portrait served as a model for the 1930 version of the 20 drachmai. Or I might be wrong, I can’t look it up right now, but a relative resemblance definitely exists (obverse only).

That's fantastic! Yes, it looks like it was inspired by both sides (especially considering they included "Poseidon" on the obverse and the ship on the reverse).

Now you've got me considering buying modern coins ;-)

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Now you've got me considering buying modern coins ;-)

I really like how everything is relative. A collector of Ancient coins considers 1930 to be "modern". Hahahahaha.