Is this a listed DDO and die crack? Jefferson nickel 44S

AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2020 9:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

It's off to NGC right now.

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

is that a die crack in his hair?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    is that a die crack in his hair?

One in the hair and a rim to rim on the reverse.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are so many dies for relatively modern coins
    that it could be challenging to create a list of them.
    But the die cracks should also be more rare than on older series.
    So perhaps someone has a list of them.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice bisected you have there. if anyone officially tracks them, i do not know em.

one could figure out what the average die life is, then divide by the reported mintage and get a rough estimate of the possible dies. i'm not that person. :wink:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

The coin is listed in the __Mega Red-A Guide Book of United States Coins, Deluxe Edition,__3rd ed.. That is a pretty well known crack. That was my plug for getting a Mega Red. The 3rd edition is focused on nickels. The crack may have even been mentioned in other editions of the Red Book. A look at a spiral bound, 2016 Red Book, does not mention the die crack. There may be other lists. Nice coin.

• Options

@Snaps said:
    The coin is listed in the __Mega Red-A Guide Book of United States Coins, Deluxe Edition,__3rd ed.. That is a pretty well known crack. That was my plug for getting a Mega Red. The 3rd edition is focused on nickels. The crack may have even been mentioned in other editions of the Red Book. A look at a spiral bound, 2016 Red Book, does not mention the die crack. There may be other lists. Nice coin.

Any chance you can snap a quick photo of the page for me? I'd appreciate it.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember that one or something like it being listed in the old Spadone Variety/Oddity guide form the early sixties.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen that reverse die crack posted somewhere...here or another forum.... Nice find. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man this looks to have a few die cracks to me.
    1. Of course down the middle of the reverse.
    2. Thru Jefferson's hair.
    3. One below the cheek thru the collar.
    4. One between the "Y" in Liberty and the "1" in the date.
    Or am I just seeing things?

• Options

@bsshog40 said:
    Man this looks to have a few die cracks to me.
    1. Of course down the middle of the reverse.
    2. Thru Jefferson's hair.
    3. One below the cheek thru the collar.
    4. One between the "Y" in Liberty and the "1" in the date.
    Or am I just seeing things?

They are all over. There may even be one near the lower end of the crack through the upper hair line that curves to the right and ends right above the ponytail.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a 42-S that I have, they are definitely cool. I bet these have something to do with punching in that huge mint mark into the die. All the ones I've seen posted have been cracked through the mint mark.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009124/interesting-reverse-die-break-1942-s-5c#latest

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2020 4:36PM

@ChrisH821 said:
    I bet these have something to do with punching in that huge mint mark into the die. All the ones I've seen posted have been cracked through the mint mark.

I don’t think so. There are many non-war nickel reverses that are similarly cracked.

• Options

@GoldenEgg said:
    I certainly> @ChrisH821 said:

I bet these have something to do with punching in that huge mint mark into the die. All the ones I've seen posted have been cracked through the mint mark.

I don’t think so. There are many non-war nickel reverses that are similarly cracked.

What about the obverse cracks?

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

Here you go @AlanSki .

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

The heck with the die crack. Thats a nice coin! ;)

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2020 4:48PM

@AlanSki said:

@GoldenEgg said:
    I certainly> @ChrisH821 said:

What about the obverse cracks?

Small, and typical of a worn die. I can’t say whether it is common for this date/mm, but IMO they seem insignificant (at least until they start cataloging Jeff Nicks as closely as they do Morgan and Peace dollars! Then you might have something.)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice grade to I like

• Options

I just looked and it might even be a DDO.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file