Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Interesting reverse die break- 1942-S 5C

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco you might enjoy this one.
Vertical die break through the entire reverse. I actually didn't notice it when I bought the coin.
Sorry about the photo quality, I didn't feel like getting the tripod and everything set up so I just did a quick point and shoot.
Thought I'd share.

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I have seen a few with the upper break, yet this is the first with a bottom break too. Well done!

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crack kills, and that die is just about dead!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one and it goes through the S but never looked to see if it went on down....will do asap.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2018 6:38PM

Just looked in my set and the 42-S has no crack. Thought for sure I had a cracked one like yours.....hmmmmm

Went to my 2x2 war nickels and found this 1944-S in AU with the same crack. My pic doesn't show as well as yours but the crack does go from rim to rim on mine too. If you look carefully you can see it again below the E in Cents. Which is slightly east of yours. Can we put a set of these together??

• Options

Found a 43D and a 45D with the crack to the dome.....guess that these are common or at least more common than I thought.

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 44-S almost goes all the way through too. Even looks like Monticello is cracked in parts

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, this is an interesting development. Time to check me some war nickels. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice ones!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen quite a few 42-S with that die crack.
    Still cool though.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is interesting... different dates with similar die cracks... I must check my S war nickels...Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file