Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Giving out coins and/or candy on Halloween?

csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
edited October 28, 2020 9:16PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Will anyone be giving out spare change only or along with candy on Halloween night? Whenever I go back to visit near the house I grew up in I always get a twinkle in my eye remembering the house that would hand out sandwich baggies full of change with candy also on Halloween. Just like there was always a line of kids at the houses who gave out the big candy bars, that one house was very popular for the bags of change. It was mostly pennies, but each bag had a couple or few of each 5¢, 10¢, 25¢ coins mixed in.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stick with candy.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

always liked emptying the pail at home and finding some change

• Options
    AzjediAzjedi Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

I'll come over and get coins!

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indian Head pennies, coin collecting folders, grow the next generation of YN's

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

One year I gave kids the choice of candy or a nice VF Buffalo nickel in a 2x2 holder.
    I recall about half took the candy.
    Some kids asked how much it was worth (I said $1), and others were confused.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither. We've never had any trick or treaters come to the house. Ever. Expect the same this year.🎃

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭

Why not BOTH? I'll be putting coins INSIDE the candy bars I'll be giving out this year!! (just kidding!)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope the neighbor remembers to keep the dobermans in this year 😈

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just candy but that might be a fun idea someday to do. Get small baggies of cheap but old coins. Probably will lead to some people getting interested

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurtleCat said:
    Just candy but that might be a fun idea someday to do. Get small baggies of cheap but old coins. Probably will lead to some people getting interested

....or it may get your house egged. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just candy.... Expect this year to be light on trick or treaters....In the past we would get over 200 .... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always given out little zip-locks with 4 or 5 world coins in them. Kids get enough candy everywhere else. There are always two or three kids that really go nuts.
    After 40 years, I'd like to think that I've gotten somebody interested in the hobby......

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan on handing out candy. Bought one of these to make parents feel better about distance and contact. We just moved to a new neighborhood so not sure how many kids will stop by. I made sure I stocked up on candy that I like just in case there are left overs. 😁

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@TurtleCat said:

....or it may get your house egged. ;)

Well, it would go with some candy...

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

earlier this yr picked up a mint bag of kennedy halfs - combo of pandemic boredom and them being in such bad shape [dinged up from comingling in bag] that I've started dropping them around town

def remember the impression finding 'strange' coins gave me as a child; totally responsible for getting me interested in collecting coins

doesn't have to be old to inspire new collectors

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file